Fitness requirements, BMI, Bodyfat and CFT

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by jase31, Feb 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been reading through the forum, and seen several post of weight, BMI and fitness - but few real answers.

Can anyone who is already in make some enquires....

Been considering to apply to TA for a while, but not progressing any further as I am not the fittest person around!

At the moment I am 178cm and weight just under 104Kg, I am stilll losing weight however, and will prob get down to mid 90s in a couple of months.

I will be the first to admit that I am not built for running. Not done a timed run for a while but guess could run a 10min mile if I put mind 2 it (12 be nicer!). Having said that, if you give me 30kg Ill complete the CFT without training for it!

Am I totally outside the requirements to apply? or not? What do I need to acheive before I should apply? If so any units/trades better suited?

2. Having been in the TA before joining up from what I recall there is no specific standard when you first walk through the doors.
    They will assist you to get fit and then will send you on you Combat infantrymans Course. When i went to the TA i was an overweight porker 6 months later with their help i was fit enough for the depot.
    Weight is not an issue for the TA as it can be lost what they are after is commitment and your time.

3. When i went to the TA i was an overweight porker 6 months later with their help i was fit enough for the depot

Overweight? Out of interest, what weight/height are we talking for a) when you joined b) when you went to depot (I assume your height was the same!)

4. Don't worry about it too much, with numbers as they are they will take you and then train your fitness.

Running's a bitch, but you've got to do it, good luck

5. I suspect it will depend on the MO at the unit. If you are looking to join the Infantry you may not get through until you have taken the weight off ie down to the low 90's (kg not stone!). As I have said elsewhere we expect potential recruits to be able to BPFA in 13.40 plus 40 sit ups and 40 press ups (in 2 mins). If you are unable to do this it would be difficult to allow further progress however much you can piss through a CFT.

6. For the little they're worth, my thoughts are:

if you keep on saying 'I'll join soon, just after I get my fitness a bit better', next think you know, 20 yrs will have passed, and you'll be too old. Set yourself a target - say, to go to an assessment weekend in July, or whenever suits you, and really try tond stick to that. A weekend's only 48 hrs, and the worse they can do is say 'no thanks'.

When it comes to PT, effort is really appreciated, and an unfit bloke trying really hard will earn some respect. Keep this in mind, and keep on trying your best even if everybody else seems to be doing much better.

Hopefully, in a couple of years or so, you'll be the one giving advice to potential recruits :D

7. Well said that man.
    Just Start running and doing press ups and sit ups start at what ever you can do and build it up.
    As Pork _Pie said Effort is everything if you show you give it your all nobody can have a go at you 100% is expected give that and you've got no worries

8. For the little they're worth, my thoughts are:

if you keep on saying 'I'll join soon, just after I get my fitness a bit better', next think you know, 20 yrs will have passed, and you'll be too old. Set yourself a target - say, to go to an assessment weekend in July, or whenever suits you, and really try tond stick to that. A weekend's only 48 hrs, and the worse they can do is say 'no thanks'.

Good plan....will follow it. Already put it off for a couple of years, but have to admitt that for first time fitness is going in right way.

Can anyone give a detailed account of what happen during the assesment weekend?

9. Roughly, we did things like a run, assault course, and stretcher race. Also had to give a presentation about ourselves, and had a brief intro to drill (and to being shouted out :D !), plus a few other things. I've also heard of other units playing basketball, although I haven't seen it myself.

You'll be watched - the unit will want you to show commitment, and check that you're a team player. Basically, if your attitude is good, you should be OK, although some units, e.g. infantry, might be looking for decent fitness even at this early stage.

10. I gotta agree that they look at effort at the early stages along with your general attitude. You do however need to be fit for your 2 week trained soldier course cos they will RTU you if your not up to the fitness standard. Best advice is start with doing pressups and situps everyday, and out for a run once or twice a week, just doing this will help you lose the pounds, increase your stamina and confidence. Just get your foot in the door and see what its like, your unit will be more than happy to help you.

PTI - Steps off soap box

Will

11. you are talking about women right?

12. There is only so much they can do in a weekend/Tues night, the onus is on you to get yourself fit and keep yourself that way. Half an hour once a month (if that) in the drill hall doesnt work.

If you know you've got selection coming up, effort is all well and good but self pride should be your motivation for making sure you can pass a BPFA.

Thats the spirit! :roll:

13. Instead of wasting your time ARRSEing about here. Get down to your local TA Training Night and talk to the guys and staff. They will tell you what you want to know, and have a look at you at the same time.

Maybe you will learn something reference confidence & getting things done. Why wait till July - START TODAY - Talk to them. Use the phone and arrange a meeting. Show them that you want to jion.... Let them tell you what happens next....

14. IMO with the height/weight stats given above - the bloke is about 5 foot 8 and weighs about 16 stone - if thats pie and not muscle he should check with his GP before starting any physically arduous activity such as training for the Army.

BB

15. for a male under 30 a green score is under 10 mins 30 secs, amber is under 11 mins an 15 secs.

Will