FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What is the terrain at Pirbright as that is where I will be going for my assessment centre. When I tun on a treadmill (with the incline turned up to 1.0) I can run the 2k in 8mins 39 secs. When I run outside through Southampton common, which has a large incline at the end I struggle to do it in 11mins. Any advice?
Treadmills aren't great general running training. Even with the incline up the motion is different. A treadmill is moving, so imparts kinetic energy to your foot while it is touching it: it carries your foot backwards. You aren't pushing yourself forwards, your legs are just stabilising your body while it hangs in midair.

The ground, on the other hand, is not moving (perceptibly), so 100% of the kinetic energy comes from you hitting the ground and then pushing up and off from it. This uses your muscles differently, so gets them fit differently. You have to do all the work to move yourself forwards.

Inclines, whether on a treadmill or the ground, require you to push up more because you have to lift your feet and body higher with each step. This makes it harder work, and works your "uphill" muscles (quads and calves), but doesn't solve the basic issue of treadmills carrying your feet backwards for you.

Treadmills are useful if you can't run outside, or for things like sprints and intervals which need to be accurately timed and paced, but those are mostly about building your cardiovascular fitness. To improve your outdoor 2k run time, you need to run outdoors.

Treadmills aren't great general running training. Even with the incline up the motion is different. A treadmill is moving, so imparts kinetic energy to your foot while it is touching it: it carries your foot backwards. You aren't pushing yourself forwards, your legs are just stabilising your body while it hangs in midair.

The ground, on the other hand, is not moving (perceptibly), so 100% of the kinetic energy comes from you hitting the ground and then pushing up and off from it. This uses your muscles differently, so gets them fit differently. You have to do all the work to move yourself forwards.

Inclines, whether on a treadmill or the ground, require you to push up more because you have to lift your feet and body higher with each step. This makes it harder work, and works your "uphill" muscles (quads and calves), but doesn't solve the basic issue of treadmills carrying your feet backwards for you.

Treadmills are useful if you can't run outside, or for things like sprints and intervals which need to be accurately timed and paced, but those are mostly about building your cardiovascular fitness. To improve your outdoor 2k run time, you need to run outdoors.
Ah thank you info plan on doing more. Do you think I should stick at running around the Southamptin common which has an incline. Or can I run on a level ground and still get the same effect.

Is pirbright on flat ground or incline?

Tookz

Clanker
Ah thank you info plan on doing more. Do you think I should stick at running around the Southamptin common which has an incline. Or can I run on a level ground and still get the same effect.

Is pirbright on flat ground or incline?
Mix it up mate that's what I do flat routes, smaller but more inclines, route with bigger incline and from what I have seen and read there is an incline pirbright but it's nothing too bad and you have to go up and then down so could make some time on the down

windswept398

Old-Salt
Everyone who's done the 1.2 mile run, did you do the 800m warm up before it or just go straight to the run?
Has the run been reduced? Used to be 1.5. I had to do the run at Glencorse. Can remember being told by a Rupert that we should do it in about thirteen minutes. Then once he left we got informed by a gnarly looking sergeant that if we didn't do it in under eleven minutes then fvck off. He didn't want us in his beloved army.
Broke the tension anyway!

LCwits

Swinger
Everyone who's done the 1.2 mile run, did you do the 800m warm up before it or just go straight to the run?
You do the 800 meter warm up first yes. On my assessment centre, a PT staff took us on a walk jog warm up around the running course, then once we got to the start point we got set straight off.

Latest Threads