FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

JNM

War Hero
I have been told times have changed or the fitness test at least on April the 1st. Not sure how true this is.

Does anyone know the requirements for the assessment and also for basic training. I am looking at joining the infantry hopefully and want to be fully prepared as much as i can and dont want the fitness side holding me down.

Thanks in advance!
They’ve changed it a decent amount. The one I’ve done since they changed it is a mid thigh pull, medicine ball throw and 1.2 mile run. All with varying requirements I believe are listed on the army careers site. What you going for?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

JNM

War Hero
Whats the mid thigh pull like, i have a med ball im practising throwing and running but not sure how i can train for the pull and is the 46 units meaning kgs? Thanks
You literally stand on a pressure plate with a static bar and pull. I’m not great at weights and I get over 100 on it.

therowley

Swinger
Whats the mid thigh pull like, i have a med ball im practising throwing and running but not sure how i can train for the pull and is the 46 units meaning kgs? Thanks
I wouldn’t waste time worrying about it, it’s incredibly simple/easy.... practice deadlifting if that helps put your mind at rest :)

Kaytemonn

Swinger
I've been practicing by strapping down a bar with resistance bands, adding weights then pulling up for 5 seconds. It's probably the closest you'll get without the proper equipment :)

Kaytemonn

Swinger
You literally stand on a pressure plate with a static bar and pull. I’m not great at weights and I get over 100 on it.
Would you mind telling me exactly how they do the ball throw? Like are you allowed to like throw yourself forward a bit or does your back need to stay on the wall the whole time?

JNM

War Hero
Would you mind telling me exactly how they do the ball throw? Like are you allowed to like throw yourself forward a bit or does your back need to stay on the wall the whole time?
Sat down shoulders stay on wall, throw from chest

oppoStu

War Hero
I wouldn't stress about these tests - if you can carry your own body weight on more than one pull up and can do more than 20 push-ups, anything you do from there regardless of tests should be fine (provided you weigh more than the equipment, which if you don't is a worry in itself).

9/10 people pass the weight tests on selection, the 1/10 that don't are the ones that can't do what I've suggested above.

Focus on running. That's far more important in terms of making the grade and what role you will be doing in the future.

therowley

Swinger
Does anyone know if the Basic Training passout run times have changed? Or does it still use the old 1.5 mile system?
2km (1.2m) run has replaced 1.5miles.. the updated times for each role is on the army website on the role finder, hope that helps

Last edited:

JNM

War Hero
Does anyone know if the Basic Training passout run times have changed? Or does it still use the old 1.5 mile system?
2K run now. Honestly it’s piss easy I’m shite at running at the best of times and ran 9:20 after exercise with fucked legs. About 2 mins under the time I need.

Spookberry

Swinger
2K run now. Honestly it’s piss easy I’m shite at running at the best of times and ran 9:20 after exercise with fucked legs. About 2 mins under the time I need.
I am not sure if people are mistaken. I meant, previously to pass out of training you had to run the 1.5 miles in under 10:30. I was wondering if that time had changed, since the PFA time did for Assessment.

JNM

War Hero
I am not sure if people are mistaken. I meant, previously to pass out of training you had to run the 1.5 miles in under 10:30. I was wondering if that time had changed, since the PFA time did for Assessment.
The run has changed. It was 2.4K it’s now 3K.
Also the 10:30 was for the end of phase 2 not 1.

Muso94

Swinger
How are people preparing for the medicine ball throw? I've heard this is the hardest, and I'm a little stressed about it!

Hi all. I need some advice.
I'm currently in the process of training to join the army. I am currently running my 1.2 miles in 11:53 and i need to get it to 11:15 or under. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
Also, does anyone have any idea to improve upper body strength? I tried pull ups and push ups earlier on today and only just managed 3 push ups and 0 pull ups, through i was trying so hard to pull myself up.
Just for context, i'm an 18 year old girl looking to join QARANC

oppoStu

War Hero
Hi all. I need some advice.
I'm currently in the process of training to join the army. I am currently running my 1.2 miles in 11:53 and i need to get it to 11:15 or under. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
Also, does anyone have any idea to improve upper body strength? I tried pull ups and push ups earlier on today and only just managed 3 push ups and 0 pull ups, through i was trying so hard to pull myself up.
Just for context, i'm an 18 year old girl looking to join QARANC
My advice, keep doing what you're doing.

You are already doing the core exercises (running, push-ups, pull-ups) don't forget to do sit-ups, 3/4 sets of each (best effort) and as long as you keep pushing yourself, you will see improvements in your upper body as well as your cardio in no time. Don't give up.

Remember to mix up your workout as well to save yourself from boredom and for more efficiently working your body... look at 6 Different Kinds of Pushups and Their Benefits for a variety of push-ups. Pull-ups don't forget to do over-hand and under-hand. You can try find a wall 8ft or above to practice climbing, this works your upper body.

Look at building your triceps (your biggest arm muscle), reverse dips on a stool/chair and normal dips using 2 bars works a treat, this will substantially help when you do other upper body exercises.

You don't need weights and you don't need gym to be fit enough, just your own body weight and gravity.

Diet is important, drink lots of water and cut out salt and fat from your diet, you will notice a huge difference. Add some more protein so your muscles recover quicker and ensure you eat enough carbs early in the day to give you enough energy for your workout.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited to add: keep a diary and note down how you do so you have something to beat next time.

Latest Threads