FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I walk 3 miles home from school everyday and my bag weighs about 10 kg. I didn't know longer runs damage you until you're fully grown.

I've been boxing for around 4 years and Hockey for 1 year. Is that good? I am thinking about taking up Rugby since my school has a pretty good rugby team.
It's the effect of the impact on your bones which are still growing. Long distance walking is fine and middle distance running (say half an hour, best on grass if you have a park or woods to hand) is fine but 15 to 20 miles running is not clever especially if it's on tarmac.

LWilson

Clanker
It's the effect of the impact on your bones which are still growing. Long distance walking is fine and middle distance running (say half an hour) is fine but 15 to 20 miles running is not clever especially if it's on tarmac.
Im not fit enough for those distances anyway. The highest I can pull out of me is 8 miles and that is if I really use everything I got.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Im not fit enough for those distances anyway. The highest I can pull out of me is 8 miles and that is if I really use everything I got.

OK. I amended my post to add best on grass or woodland paths rather than on tarmac.

JNM

War Hero
It is easy to get injured in Rugby and that is why I am cautious about starting it.
It’s easy to get injured in a lot of sports. I played rugby from U12 to U17 and never got injured. I did play mostly in the backs though. Mainly 9 and 15 when I was 16/17.

LWilson

Clanker
On the day of the 1.5 mile run is it mostly up hill? I have been training so about half my run is up hill just in case.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
On the day of the 1.5 mile run is it mostly up hill? I have been training so about half my run is up hill just in case.
Courses vary. However, they do have to be broadly neutral in terms of uphill, downhill and difficult corners. Hill running is good for strength so leave it in your training.

LWilson

Clanker
Courses vary. However, they do have to be broadly neutral in terms of uphill, downhill and difficult corners. Hill running is good for strength so leave it in your training.
Sorry for the constant questions but are you aware of what it is like in Palace Barracks?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry for the constant questions but are you aware of what it is like in Palace Barracks?
I'm not, but someone here will be. It's down by the water and the airport and looks not especially hilly:

Capture.jpg

louby50

Swinger
Very concerned that my son isn't taking his fitness seriously. He's nearly 16.

He's applied to join AFC Harrogate, and hopes to go in September. he's been on a few runs and to the gym and worked on weights etc plays football most days but I keep telling him that it isn't enough. His exercise is sporadic.

He needs to be doing regular runs. He's just paid to do a 10k race in April and I'm hoping this gives him a focus.

His medical report will be sorted soon so he could be going to the assessment centre within a month.

Please, someone post telling him how important his fitness is.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

He's applied to join AFC Harrogate, and hopes to go in September. he's been on a few runs and to the gym and worked on weights etc plays football most days but I keep telling him that it isn't enough. His exercise is sporadic.

He needs to be doing regular runs. He's just paid to do a 10k race in April and I'm hoping this gives him a focus.

His medical report will be sorted soon so he could be going to the assessment centre within a month.

AFC is a long course and the fitness regime there is very progressive.

Having said that, the fitter your son is on arrival the less the chance of injury and the more time and effort he will be able to put into the other demanding elements of the course. Simply put, if he is fitter than most he will be more confident in those other areas which he can't really prepare for prior to his arrival.

It is money in the bank, so to speak.

rougeone39

Old-Salt

Hey first off wish had a dad like u who would have encouraged army service when younger. I am 41 and going for the ta in medical appeal feel traning etc.

He needs to work his but off some young folk just think cause their skinny their good runners it’s not all about that it’s about breathing and stamina having just done my first 13 k the other weekend my distance is growing and growing hope to do a marathon distance in three to four months this is someone who didn’t run before thinking of joining the ya at 41 to his son u have a whole life ahead of travel and things u will get to do will be amazing lad don’t have a regret of not joining like so many of us have when we are older.

I amid the army recruitment adds are not the best of encouragement i preferred the this is belonging campaign as it was one of the better ones.

Hope he does well for ya just try and get him out running as much as he can with you in mean time. Good luck.

JNM

War Hero

Is important, currently in essentially remedial fitness because I missed a lot of PT due to illness and pulling my thigh and it’s surprising how quickly fitness improves once you’re here. Should really practice running and running with weight as the minimum you have to tab (at pirbright) with is 15KG on the test (including rifle) and you start at 11KG min(including rifle) for it first tab which at best is 3 miles or at worst however long your PTI wants it to be. Also had to do a 5 miler including multiple hill climbs. Bearing in mind you’re running on less sleep than you’re used to, probably less food and it’s at least every weekday after W1 (again at pirbright) unless you’re off on exercise etc.

So with the new fitness tests being introduced in April, does that mean all intakes as of 01/04 will be tested on those standards? And also what do you guys think of the new tests?

James_Irish

Swinger
I did selection in Palace barracks back in 2015. Some areas are stones, tarmac, down a hill and up it again (isn't straight). You'll definitely wanna pace yourself since you do a 800M warm up before you start doing the two laps. But as of April 1st the run is just 2km for Infantry and RAC roles you'll need to get below 10:15 and the other tests are changing so no more power bags and the jerry can walk.

I have been told times have changed or the fitness test at least on April the 1st. Not sure how true this is.

Does anyone know the requirements for the assessment and also for basic training. I am looking at joining the infantry hopefully and want to be fully prepared as much as i can and dont want the fitness side holding me down.

Thanks in advance!

Latest Threads