FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

If you are serious about going for Para, 11.30 just won’t cut it. Even though it will get you through selection for your other choices you would be very slow.
Oh yeah I know! 9 minutes is what I should be getting for Paras. 11:30 will get me through for Infantry, Artillery roles. I still put Paras at the back of my mind as an option because it gives me a reason to push myself further and who knows with that motivation I may soon enough get that number.

Muso94

Swinger
When you say you are "training 2hrs/day, 6 days a week, for four weeks", what is your training routine? Unless we know that, we can't help. Aye, your right, it is a GOOD awful time ;)
Thanks. Hopefully I can get my GOOD awful time down soon ;) just so we're clear... I meant god, although my phone obviously think 13 mins is good!

I'm running 3 miles in about half an hour, resting for 5 and then doing some hill sprints and interval work for about 25.
And then doing a BMF class, or some home HIIT body weight work for the remaining hour.

I just can't seem to sustain a strong effort run, I can run hard for 2-3 mins but then I'm out and I'm running at a medium pace for the remainder!

Thanks. Hopefully I can get my GOOD awful time down soon ;) just so we're clear... I meant god, although my phone obviously think 13 mins is good!

I'm running 3 miles in about half an hour, resting for 5 and then doing some hill sprints and interval work for about 25.
And then doing a BMF class, or some home HIIT body weight work for the remaining hour.

I just can't seem to sustain a strong effort run, I can run hard for 2-3 mins but then I'm out and I'm running at a medium pace for the remainder!
3 miles I do in about 29 minutes too. My 1.5 is 12:22 so far. However, that's roughly 7.2 mph. In this run I had a 15 second walk so potentially could have got it in 12:00 if I'd kept going, also at the end of the run I sprint so who knows the average speed. You'll definitely get it soon! Don't spring to begin with is what I'd say, medium first then build up the speed, don't want to **** yourself to quick!

Increase your run. Build up to running 5-6 miles in a single run, without stopping, in under an hour (hint, you should be able to do 5 miles in 45mins without too much effort, its only 9min miles). Build up to this e.g. 3miles 5 times a week, then 4 miles 5 times a week, then 5-6 miles per run the following week (aim for 6). One day each week do a "best effort" 1.5miler, preferably on Day 6. Rest on day 7.

Don't start fast, just aim for a steady pace for the first 10 minutes and get your breathing sorted, then settle in a nice, comfortable pace. As the week progresses, aim to slightly increase your pace. Also, consider your stride length; if you are taking "pigeon steps" and/or "running on your knees" (where your thighs hardly move and your lower leg is doing all the distance), you need to work on lengthening your stride; this covers greater distance, in less time, and takes less energy.

Once you get 5-6 miles down, increase your pace on each run; just aim to go slightly faster each time. Your first target is 5 miles in 45 minutes (9 minute miles), aiming to either reduce that to 35-40 minutes, or increase the distance to 7-8 miles in 45mins.

The distance is to build up leg strength and endurance, and sort out your breathing. Once you have acheived that, reduce the distance runs to 2-3 per week, and concentrate on the 1.5min run time, aiming for speed.

3 miles I do in about 29 minutes too. My 1.5 is 12:22 so far. However, that's roughly 7.2 mph. In this run I had a 15 second walk so potentially could have got it in 12:00 if I'd kept going, also at the end of the run I sprint so who knows the average speed. You'll definitely get it soon! Don't spring to begin with is what I'd say, medium first then build up the speed, don't want to **** yourself to quick!
Read my comment to muso. Take the same approach.

I'm 52 - my PFA time has, sadly, decreased to 8.45 on the flat route, 10mins on the hilly route. But if I can do it... so can you.

Read my comment to muso. Take the same approach.

I'm 52 - my PFA time has, sadly, decreased to 8.45 on the flat route, 10mins on the hilly route. But if I can do it... so can you.
8.45? 8 days 45 minutes? :)

Muso94

Swinger
Thanks folks!! I'm looking at 6/7 weeks until selection probably, depending on a potential appeal on my medical! I'd like to be ready on 5/6 weeks: so would this plan make sense?
Week 1: 3-4 mile run 5 days (aiming for 25-35 mins, day 6 1.5

Week 2: 5-6 mile runs (aiming for 30-40 mins), day 6 1.5 miles

Week 3: 6 mile runs at 45 mins, day 6 1.5 miles

Week 4: 6-7 mile runs (aiming for 45 - 60 mins), day 6 1.5 miles

Week 5: 7 miles aiming for 45 mins, day 6 1.5 miles

Week 6: 2 6 mile runs at 40 mins, 3 3 mile runs 20- 25 mins, day 1.5 miles

Week 7 and beyond: alternate 3 mile best efforts and 1.5 mile best efforts

Sorry if I'm being fussy I just want to get it right!

I see lots of questions and talk about the 1.5 mile run times (obviously important), but what about the other aspects of the selection fitness requirements?

I see lots of questions and talk about the 1.5 mile run times (obviously important), but what about the other aspects of the selection fitness requirements?
(a) Have you read the thread title
(b) see (a).

Most people don't have access to weight bags and jerry cans of water. They can always carry shopping home in carrier bags, join a gym, etc etc,

Well done, now improve it to a reasonable time of under 10mins

Spookberry

Swinger
Just managed to run the whole 1.5 miles without stopping once. Got 11:53, have my assessment coming up 12th of Feb. Really looking forward. Hopefully I can bring that time down a bit more, going for Tank Crewman, so should not be an issue, but still need to push myself.

It's really 90 percent mental. Your body can do it without stopping. You just have to train your mind to do the same.

LWilson

Clanker
Im 14, joining Parachute regiment at 16. My current run time is around 10 Minutes 30 so by the time I am 16 I will have it down to what I need it to be. What age is a good time to start training for the longer runs like the 20 miler in p-coy? Do juniors do p-coy with people 18+ or is it different for them.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Im 14, joining Parachute regiment at 16. My current run time is around 10 Minutes 30 so by the time I am 16 I will have it down to what I need it to be. What age is a good time to start training for the longer runs like the 20 miler in p-coy? Do juniors do p-coy with people 18+ or is it different for them.
I'd recommend laying off longer runs until you've stopped growing. If you want endurance training try something like cycling or swimming. Nothing wrong with long walks and a little weight, say 10kg.

LWilson

Clanker
I'd recommend laying off longer runs until you've stopped growing. If you want endurance training try something like cycling or swimming. Nothing wrong with long walks and a little weight, say 10kg.
I walk 3 miles home from school everyday and my bag weighs about 10 kg. I didn't know longer runs damage you until you're fully grown.
Or play sport for fitness.
I've been boxing for around 4 years and Hockey for 1 year. Is that good? I am thinking about taking up Rugby since my school has a pretty good rugby team.

JNM

War Hero
I walk 3 miles home from school everyday and my bag weighs about 10 kg. I didn't know longer runs damage you until you're fully grown.

I've been boxing for around 4 years and Hockey for 1 year. Is that good? I am thinking about taking up Rugby since my school has a pretty good rugby team.
Rugby is a great sport for fitness just stay away from front row ;)

Latest Threads