FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

Are you quite sure?

Isn't dynamic stretching before a run part of a good warm up, intended to loosen up the muscles and avoid strains, and static stretching after a run intended to increase flexibility and give a greater range of movement?

And aren't foam rollers also often used before a run, to increase blood flow? Similar exercises before and after but, like dynamic stretching before and static stretching after, very different aims?
Yeah sure dynamic stretches are pretty good to do before, I agree with this and do the static stretches after. I personally use the foam roller before and after on my legs and I warm up by jogging for 5-7min.

Also, two things have helped immensely: (1) the compression socks or compression calf sleeves (2) proper running shoes, go to a shop like runnersNeed and get them to help you pick the right shoes.

95% pass rate? That makes me feel a lot more confident, my fitness level is improving, I worked an active job before I started thinking about the Army (I worked in a Stables with Horses), basically I'm aiming for 12 minutes 15 seconds, that is a realistic goal for me; is that pretty much keeping up with the pack of potential recruits whilst at the run or do you go individually rather then everyone lined up at once?
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant.

I didn't mean there was a 95% pass rate. What I meant was that of those who pass 95% do so at infantry standard or better (12:45 or less) regardless of whether they have to or not, even if they have 13:15 or 14 minutes, so if you're over 12:45 you're going to be in the bottom 5%.

I'd suggest you should be aiming for better than 12:15.

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant.

I didn't mean there was a 95% pass rate. What I meant was that of those who pass 95% do so at infantry standard or better (12:45 or less) regardless of whether they have to or not, even if they have 13:15 or 14 minutes, so if you're over 12:45 you're going to be in the bottom 5%.

I'd suggest you should be aiming for better than 12:15.
Dang, I feel dumb now; thanks for the advice I'll adjust my training to try and beat infantry standard

Largely good advise, but do not stretch before a run, ensure you're warmed up properly before you attempt any stretch. You can stretch after, or use a foam roller.
I'm assuming this is based on developments in physical training since 198dot :) FWIW, have always done an intro warm-up, stretching, the main activity, warm down, then stretch off.

Not odd, so much as not correct. Injury rates were extremely and unnecessarily high (between 30 and 60% depending on unit). Progressive training means less injuries and less wastage to achieve the same results - there's a difference between beasting and breaking.

Today's population is generally less fit though, quantifiably, so you have to change your methods to allow for that, but that's hardly the fault of the individuals - and aren't we talking about pre-recruit training preparation here anyway?
Sorry, but I seriously doubt those figures are correct. Source, please. Certainly 1 and 3 TRG REGT RE were NOT running at 30%, let alone 60%, in the period 1983 to 1987. Not even P Coy and the RM AAC were running 60% knee injuries, iirc in that period. None of the Engineer or Inf units I worked with were running even close t0 30%.

Think you might have misquoted/misunderstood a figure, perhaps?

John G can no longer post on this thread. I have zero interest in tidying up after him as he windmills into people, desperate to try and prove that he knows more about everything than anyone else.

Please feel free to start a new thread in the general fitness section - far, far away from the recruiting boards, and at your own peril.

I will get the time down, I can do 13 minutes for a 1.5 mile run already, I want to shave 2 minutes off that.
Hesitant to give any advice as I don't really have a clue and there are lots more qualified people like PTIs in the thread, but 10:30 and under should be your ideal goal to strive towards as that's what you'll need to hit for your phase 1 fitness test I believe. If you can already do it at selection, there should be less risk of injury while trying to achieve it in training.

In my case I think it was just a case of my lungs adjusting to working at capacity for the first time in a while, and getting used to running while uncomfortably out of breath. Checking Strava, my first run was an awful 15~ minutes, each one after that knocked about 30 seconds off which tapered down until I was improving by 5-10 seconds per session (3 times a week). My best time was 9:15 (add a few seconds on incase my gps was being a bit generous) which I was more than happy with, although it's deteriorated a bit since then (failed my med and had to wait 2 months for my appeal and kind of lost my motivation and went out less and less, about 9:45 now)

Again, a PTI or someone with a background in fitness might correct me but I feel the ADSC run time standards (at least outside of Para) are designed to be achievable by an average person with a couple of months preparation. If you start off below average like I did, it might take a little bit extra time but it's not designed to be an iron man competition. Just stay consistent and avoid injury and you'll get there in the end.

John G can no longer post on this thread. I have zero interest in tidying up after him as he windmills into people, desperate to try and prove that he knows more about everything than anyone else.

Please feel free to start a new thread in the general fitness section - far, far away from the recruiting boards, and at your own peril.
Unfortunately, it doesn't stop him disagreeing with posts... even posts simply ask him to provide sources for his figures, or from experience - such as having been at the establishments during the time frame underconsideration.

Hi all, I've been doing lots of exercises, gym classes, running etc.. last 1.4 (was supposed to be 1.5 mile but the end point was cut off with road works) mile run was 9 minutes 30 seconds, the minimum requirements of the Royal Artillery is 13.15 minutes, would this sort of time (and if I sustain it) help insure less risk of injuring myself?

I hope you're not pleased with that. My missis who is 45 years old (and Welsh) could beat you by over 3 minutes.

A good way of getting faster, quicker, is losing weight.

What's your BMI?

I couldn't agree more. I joined RAFC Cranwell in the early 90s, as a Direct Entrant (ie non-graduate Officer Cadet) and as part of the joining routine you had to complete the arrival 1.5 mile run in <10 mins. If you didn't, you weren't allowed to continue training. 8 weeks later I was doing the same 1.5 mile in 8.14 (which I have never bettered!!!!)

25yrs and 2 stone later, however, I can still get Level 12 or so on a Fartleck Bleep Test, and am normally well behind the racing snakes on my current unit.

I am astounded to read of recruits looking to go to ADSC / RMAS and asking if 13.00 is a good run time.

Last edited:
I came around those 5-finger shoes, promising you a barefoot feeling and improving your musculature while running. Are those any good in strengthening your leg muscles to improve your time or are they just fancy money wasting stuff?

I came around those 5-finger shoes, promising you a barefoot feeling and improving your musculature while running. Are those any good in strengthening your leg muscles to improve your time or are they just fancy money wasting stuff?
What I really want to say is "Jesus effin christ on a pogo stick". If you want to 'strengthen your leg" to "improve your time" then buy a reasonably priced pair of trainers, and get out and run 3miles several times a week, then after three or four weeks concentrate on your 1.5mile time. Just run. Trainers, top, old pair of shorts. Thats all you need.

Plus some determination to run further each day, then faster each day.

Its very, very simple. Nothing will improve your time as much as putting on a pair for trainers and RUNNING.

Yes - money wasting crap. This page needs a sticky marked "READ THIS FIRST" with B_L's and mine advice from about 6 years ago.

12:22 for my run! Still not happy until I get it 12:00 or under. However, shaved 10 seconds off it from last time. Going to do Long Distance Interval Runs and Slower paced (6-6.5mph) long distance with the occasional 1.5 thrown in! I got deferred so I think I'm doing okay! + I'm 17.10 stone.

How old are you?

Keep it up. Aim high. Aim for 11.30 at least.

Hi all!
I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something fundamentally wrong with me... Ive been training for 4 weeks now, 2 hours a day 6 days a week... and (aside from 1 lucky run at Pre selection which was 12.30) I still cannot get below 13 mins!
I'm aware that this is a good awful time, I just don't know what more I can do to lower it or where I'm going wrong :(

When you say you are "training 2hrs/day, 6 days a week, for four weeks", what is your training routine? Unless we know that, we can't help. Aye, your right, it is a GOOD awful time ;)

Latest Threads