FITNESS Qs & ADSC 1.5 mile run times

@IanDupes and rougeone: for starters, be disgusted with yourselves, get angry, and get the miles in. Im 52, my PFA time is 9.30, and im not a runner.

There is no shortcut or magic bullet to improving run time, other than hard work. Run 6 days a week; for the next three weeks, start at running 3 miles, adding a mile each week (5 mile runs by week 3), 5 days a week. Run a best effort 1.5 mile one day each week. Week 4, improve your 5 mile run time. Week 5, concentrate on your 1.5 mile run time, 3 times a week, and 5 milers 3 times per week. Week 6 do 2 x 5 miles each week, and a best effort 1.5 miles. Ione the other two days, either fast 2-3 milers, or interval trainign.

Rest one day a week. Ensure you stretch properly before and after each run. And look at your diet.

I hate typing on ipads.

Does anybody have any tips for the interview, if I get to that stage any questions that they may possibly ask at all. Any Info would be appreciated. My Choices are Royal Signals with a path to Intel eventually.

Does anybody have any tips for the interview, if I get to that stage any questions that they may possibly ask at all. Any Info would be appreciated.
The interview is a discussion, not a grilling. The results from each activity of your assessment will be discussed and areas for improvement identified. You should be given the outcome of the assessment (pass, defer, etc) and your grade (assuming all results are in).

The interviewer will ensure that you know what the next steps are, regardless of outcome. Job choice recommendations can be made by the interviewer if you fail to meet the criteria for the ones you have chosen or if the assessment team believes you may be suited to another job.

It is a good idea to be familiar with the ins and outs of your job choice and military life. Like any job interview you should be aware of what you are signing up for.

It is a two way process, you will be asked things and you can also ask things.

I new you would answer @TheAssessor thanks for that. I have my D day on April the 3rd. Got my mile and half to under 14 mins so other than failing the medical I hope it be ok was at a pda recently and went ok bare the run but been working on run every day and achieved 13:30 the other day I no still poor but I think a good achievement for a 40 year old.

still poor but I think a good achievement for a 40 year old.
Not really, no. I am nearly 10 years older, eat and drink too much, have knackered knees and back due to service and would still be in a fair bit ahead of you.

You have been posting about your weight and run time on here for some months now.

Somewhere within your training process you are not being honest with yourself because within that time you could have made much bigger improvements. Do you keep an honest training diary?

You are not training as often as you say you are, or as hard as you could be, or cleaning up your diet as much as you could - or all three.

I hope you're not pleased with that. My missis who is 45 years old (and Welsh) could beat you by over 3 minutes.

A good way of getting faster, quicker, is losing weight.

What's your BMI?
Aerodynamics is a really big part of it too. Have you tried growing a giant pointy nose? Could probably cut a good minute off that time.

On a serious note losing weight is definitely a good idea if you can afford to. Less weight = less energy required to move. And get on a real running programme if you're not already- don't make it up yourself.

Aerodynamics is a really big part of it too. Have you tried growing a giant pointy nose? Could probably cut a good minute off that time.
My Missis does a 5k parkrun in 21 minutes something; that's a hair over 3 miles. Half of that is 10.5 mins, so I reckon she could do 1.5 miles in a bit less.

'Short stuff' isn't her bag though; she likes it long and hard (phnaar); she's ran and won a 100 mile ultra marathon (won as in beating all the other females), and came 10th overall; so she beat most of the blokes too. She's won, or came 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in quite a few other shorter ultra marathons too.

I'm just guessing the 'pointy nose' is a reference to Pinocchio and fibbers. I'm not; she's a decent runner; it's her 'thing'.

Last edited:
My Missis does a 5k parkrun in 21 minutes something; that's a hair over 3 miles. Half of that is 10.5 mins, so I reckon she could do 1.5 miles in a bit less.

'Short stuff' isn't her bag though; she likes it long and hard (phnaar); she's ran and won a 100 mile ultra marathon (won as in beating all the other females), and came 10th overall; so she beat most of the blokes too. She's won, or came 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in quite a few other shorter ultra marathons too.

I'm just guessing the 'pointy nose' is a reference to Pinocchio and fibbers. I'm not; she's a decent runner; it's her 'thing'.
Haha no sir, you're reading too much into my very low level joke. Didn't mean anything by it :p

I new you would answer @TheAssessor thanks for that. I have my D day on April the 3rd. Got my mile and half to under 14 mins so other than failing the medical I hope it be ok was at a pda recently and went ok bare the run but been working on run every day and achieved 13:30 the other day I no still poor but I think a good achievement for a 40 year old.
Being brutally honest, that is not an achievement for a 40 year old, and certainly not for one who has "for some months" being training. In the past few years Bretheronton_lad and I have both posted comprehensive training programmes for lads to pass the BFT (PFA), starting from scratch, with just 4-6 weeks training. To the point where we both tired of answering the same question - which is "how do I pass the 1.5mile run without putting any effort in". My routine is the lazy man's way, had been tried and tested since 19eighty-dot (or 18eighty-dot according to some wags). Both work. Both require effort.

You have ten days? to reduce your time by 1 minute. It is doable, but you need to hit the pavement for 9 out days out of the next 10, because 13.30 is borderline, 13.31 is a fail.

Did post this in a separate thread but realised this one is for fitness questions.

I’ve got my Phase 1 intake this month on the 23rd so I’ve not got much time left before I’m on my travels to start bettering myself.

Since finding out my intake date I’ve been working hard to try and improve my fitness to the best it could possibly be for when I arrive at pirbright. However I’ve now got tonsillitis (3rd/4th day) and I’m worried if I don’t run I’ll lose my progress. I’ve heard that PT at phase 1 is intense anyway because some people turn up in poor condition, so I know I’ll improve my fitness whilst I’m there.

However I’m worried that if my fitness takes a massive hit due to my illness, will I be discharged from the army for not being “fighting fit”?

Cheers for the help.

Did post this in a separate thread but realised this one is for fitness questions.

Snip
It takes a good couple of weeks to start losing conditioning, I often find I run far better (it's even more pronounced with cycling) after I've taken a week off with fresh legs. A month you might lose a little bit but tonsillitis clears up after a week, 10 days tops.

Don't worry about it, I know loads of people who just stopped training completely after selection (as long as they didn't have months and months to wait) just to avoid risking injury before their intake. You'll have another medical on your first week of phase 1 along with the same fitness tests you did at selection just to get a base line to measure your monthly progress against, but I don't think you can actually fail it unless you are legitimately injured.

What time of day is the run done at ADSC?

I’m currently running between 8pm and 9pm, would training in the evening have a detrimental affect on my run time if it’s taken in the morning or afternoon?

Genuine questions... or am I overthinking it?

What time of day is the run done at ADSC?

I’m currently running between 8pm and 9pm, would training in the evening have a detrimental affect on my run time if it’s taken in the morning or afternoon?

Genuine questions... or am I overthinking it?
Overthinking it mate, you'll probably run faster on the day just due to adreneline and being able to follow someone else's pace. I believe the 2.4km run is on the first day's afternoon, but depending on the timekeeping it might be the morning of the second day before you do it, I know my brother had to do his on the second day.

Might be a silly question but do you run in your on trainers in selection, I have been told you are issued trainers for phase 1.

also, I have wide feet, and the sides of my feet feel like there are under abit of pressure while in trainers, is this a major concern or is this something I should look into with buying some specific wide running trainers.

I have run with tight trainers for a long time as was wondering if this is causing my training to not be as effective.

Might be a silly question but do you run in your on trainers in selection, I have been told you are issued trainers for phase 1.

also, I have wide feet, and the sides of my feet feel like there are under abit of pressure while in trainers, is this a major concern or is this something I should look into with buying some specific wide running trainers.

I have run with tight trainers for a long time as was wondering if this is causing my training to not be as effective.
There's lots of different schools of thought with regards running shoes. Some say you ought to go to a running shop, get 'gait analysed' (it's not really; you get a 'pronation analysis'), and buy an over-priced, over-engineered running shoe to suit your pronation style. And the only evidence that this prevents injury comes from Nike and similar who fund the studies. Large scale studies done by the US military have found no correlation between pronation corrected running shoes and just a neutral trainer.

I think running shoes just need to be comfortable; they shouldn't be tight or offer any support what-so-ever. Not even 'arch support' (an arch in architecture is always stronger with weight on top of it; not supported from underneath). You don't need too much cushioning either; decent running form helps protect from impact.

I think running form is more important than running shoes.

I run in any old stuff, as long as they're comfortable.

Oh, go a half to a full size bigger for your trainers than your normal footwear too; apparently feet get bigger during long runs. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's advice I've taken and it works for me.

Selection comes before Phase 1 - you will not be issued trainers for it (wh? You might fail...). So yes, use your own trainers.

I'm split on whether they make a difference. For years, I used "any old pair", well, not quite. HiTech, cheaper- Nikes, and the like. No issues at all, but then we did the BFT in boots.

A few years ago, when I was road-running (8+miles/day, no issues), needed new trainers. Could I find simple, plain trainers? Nope, they were all "cross-trainers" and god-knows-what. So bought a reasonably priced pair of Nikes. Horibble things! Ran a PFA in 10.04. :(

Two years ago, had enough so went to Achillies Heel in Glasgow, and ended up spending £120 on a pair of something. Let's call them Asics. Now, I'm aware of plaebo effect, but these were measurably different - from the Nikes at least. Knocked 30seconds off my run time, feel hugely comfortable running in. Obviously a controlled experiment with my cheap "Hi-techs" would show if they made a difference or not, ie if run time in Nike and H-T was the same, the trainer made a positive difference. If the time between Asics and H-T was the same, then the Nike had a negative effect, and the expensive trainer made no difference. Can't, because the H-Ts haven't been sold for god know how many years.

Running in too-tight a trainer is not good, even if it's simply because it's uncomfortable.

How do you deal with pain when running? The onl;y thing holding me back from a sub 12 minute run is the fact my ankle/achilles tendon have started being very painful recently. I've just started training/running (I tested myself with no prior training and got 12:30) I did some interval training the other day and it feels as though my ankles and achilles tendon are just seizing up. Not sure if it's the sort of pain I should grit my teeth and bear or if I need to change something before I damage myself.

Any tips for managing this pain? I'm thin as a rake so I've been working on improving my BMI which is currently underweight (5'10 and about 57kg which has gone up to 62kg the past week or so) so I'm thinking the increased weight + increased physical exercise will take some time to get used to.

So, more rest days, just grin and bear it or something else altogether?

Think about it. You have gone from no training at all to trying to run fast as you can for 2.4 Km and wonder why you are starting to get aches and pains.

Go for a walk, and do some stretching when you get back. After a few days of walking, add some gentle jogging intervals. Stretch some more. Gradually do more jogging and less walking. Something like the couch to 5K app will help.