Fitness Help Please

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sa80cal, Jan 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,

im now 14 and a half and want to join the Parachute regiment but before that i want to go to the army foundation college.

i want to really start to get fit and get my stamina up a lot so any tips

cheers :D

SC

2. Well you have ages till you start so just keep up your basic fitness. Do some running 2-3 times a week about 2 or 3 miles each time and pressups and situps and heaves, also make sure you eat healthily and drink loads of water. Before and after excersise, just dont overdo it and start of easily and build it up gradually

3. Myself I left school as early as I could, June 06, got a job on a farm and have been going to the gym every day since then. You will have to wait until you are 17 before the Paras wil have you, I'm not 17 until March. I'm sure training will be like hell, but I can tell you now that selection is easy. Just make sure you can run the 1.5 mile in under 9 minutes and complete the jerry can carry which is all about refusal to let go and nothing to do with strength, and you will pass. I keep working on upperbody strength but I'm still not too strong, at AFCO they said don't worry about it, your only a young lad.

My tips to you are run run and run and don't worry that you can't do 1000 pressups or lift 3 tons with your left hand. I don't know what AFC is by the way, could someone enlighten me?

And good luck in the future

4. sa80cal

Runnings gotta be the best for your fitness. Do some longer runs aswell as your 1.5 miles both to build up your stamina and also because the 1.5 seems like nothing afterwards. Half of everything is in the mind and doesn't hurt to give yourself a psychological advantage.
    If there is one piece of advice I'd give you is run on grass, or a track if you have access or your school has one - there will be plenty of time to ruin your knees later on. Road running is great for your heart but your joints may enjoy it less. If you've got no choice run on it but don't over do it. And never train on an injury - if you're feeling any pain do something else untill your better or else you could make it worse and regret it latter.

Swimming is great, working your muscles and your stamina without the pressure on your joints so could be worth including as part of your training if you can.

As already said you could also try starting your pressups, situps, and pullups and don't worry too much if you find them hard to begin with it'll come quick enough. Trust me mate if your starting this far in advance and build up sensibly you're gonna be lightyears ahead of the pack.

Have you thought of joining your local cadets whilst you wait as it might give you a little bit of insight into your future job and keep your motivation going. Plus mixing with like minded individuals will probably keep you interested and you might find others to train with. Just a thought.

Good luck with the future.

5. Mate. You've got a long time before you go to Para Regt depot. As long as you're reasonably fit and have some balls about you then leave it to the Para Regt PTI's and instructors to get you fit enough to pass P Coy.

6. Actually Sa80cal I've just read this thread through again and my elderly brain has just cottoned on to the fact that you're still 14. Fallschirmjager is right and my advice might have been a bit much at this stage. So you can give the running etc advice a go if you want but in reality you might be better off playing some sport on a regular basis if that is more your thing. You're more likely to stick to it if it's something you actually enjoy.
    If you do it reguarly you'll build enough stamina and if you're still worried you can try the occassional 1.5 mile run just to gauge yourself.

It's entirely up to you but I'm assured the AFC isn't looking for olympic athletes just some basic fitness they can builld on. They will be more interested in you being a motivated young man which you already seem to be.

Good Luck again whichever way you choose to go about it.

7. Thanks Guys for all the replies just about to go for run now...

cheers again

SC

8. You're signature is wrong by the way. PJI's don't say 'standby' before saying 'go'. :)

Good luck in getting in the regt.