fitness for training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mattyholmes, Feb 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey im just wonderin im startin perbright april the 13th for basic training ive been doin a mile run a day and been doin 2 mins of push ups and sit ups etc just wonderin will that be enough if i carry that on till april if not any 1 got any tips please?
  2. Not really but time is against you. Increase your daily run from a mile a day to 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week and try walking/running combo once a week for an hour or more. Don't worry about the upper body stuff, (though keep doing what you are doing), if you don't increase your endurance then overall fitness will suffer. The rest should improve during basic which is the point, they will bring you up to standard, you just have to able to handle the training. You'll be fine. Good luck with that.
  3. Hiya.

I'm going down to Lichfield on Thursday 5th March for my selection, but i'm a little worried about my upper body strength.

I am currently running 4 miles in around 40 minutes, 5 times a week. My 1.5mile run time is averaging 11min 15 secs. (I am hoping on joining Int Corps). I have been doing half an hour on the rowing machine everyday for the past 2 weeks to try and help with my upper body, as pull ups are proving very difficult. I do 62 sit ups in 2 minutes, but i'm struggling a bit with press ups..

Do you think this problem with my upper body strength is going to prove to be an even bigger problem at selection??

Be brutally honest, because I'm seriously annoyed with myself about it!!
  4. Sounds like you will do fine at selection. Its ofcourse easy to say its nothing that difficult once youve done it but i remember i too like most people, was worried on one level or another. If you just go and do your best you cant really fail, your run time is good enough and your upper body strenght should be fine aswell.

One thing i would say though, far be it for me in this fat b of a world to suggest someone stops exercising but i really think that doing that kind of run 5 days a week is a bit much. I used to do it early on in my personal training but now i have cut back to 3 times a week and i know i found my fitness increased far more it than the five times which ran me into the ground.

Goodluck on thursday
  5. Thanks alot for the message.

I'm hoping I will be able to average everything out over the whole of the different exercises we have to complete during selection.

I will give it my best shot and hope its good enough though.

I see what your saying about doing too much. A few people have told me to slow down a bit, or maybe turn to doing something else instead of running, a couple of days a week. So I have been enquiring into a few other things to do with strengthening my core, rather than tiring me out.

Once again thanks loads and I shall let you know how selection turns out.
  6. hey thanx for the advice i will increase my runs to 2-3 mile