Fitness Building Plan - AOSB

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Number16, Apr 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Afternoon all,

I recently received the disappointing news that I failed my AOSB main board. Whilst I haven't had any clear indication as of yet as to where I didn't meet the standard, through my own analysis I firmly believe it was my overall fitness. I will freely admit, and will make no excuses that I went to the Main Board naive and unprepared physically. I only just scraped the 10.2 Bleep Test; Press-ups and Sit-ups were barely completed; and the assault course wasn't even completed.

As such, I am starting tomorrow on a new fitness plan. This is primarily based on the guidance given at Starting at Week 1/Level 1 and working up to Week 4/Level 3. With additional increases after this (Level 4 for instance), I hope to be much fitter by the time I am able to retake my Main Board.

I have 2 main questions. No.1, during each week, there is a section on "Day 5" indicating: 'Circuit Training: 2x12 of each exercise' (and increasing steadily). Does this refer to all the exercises given on the initial start page: Squats, Press-ups, and Chin-ups and so on?

No.2, Are there any additional exercises to perform each week on top of the given schedule that are recommended? (Upper body strength was an issue, even though I am naturally "stocky" i.e. the reverse rat-trap and the rope + platform above head height on the assault course.)

If my failure to be selected for officer training was primarily/ for the most part down to my Physical Fitness, then it is something I can work on and significantly boost before I re-take the Board - I certainly hope it is down to this fact! I am disappointed in myself for not working on my fitness more, especially as this is something I want very much indeed.

As for my details, I am currently 176cm, 82.5kg with a BMI working out at 26.6, and 23 years of age.

I apologise for the length of this post - it is my first and last of this length!

My thanks in advance for any guidance,

2. I beleive if fitness is part of a persons way of life, a partial habit, then that will help them throughout their life in particular with the military. 10.2 suggests fitness is something you have neglected. Find a suitable plan and make it part of your life then you can forget about it, take it for granted and concentrate on more important aspects of your military life.
  3. Panda - Thankyou for your reply.

As an individual, fitness has never been part of my life until recently. I have to say I am completely lost when it comes to fitness. Sport I was never very good at, and as such, neglected my health. After university I was overweight and very unfit. In prep for the AOSB I did a run 4-5 times a week, and a workout dvd (blush) twice a week. Whilst this has improved my health, it was clearly not enough by any standards.

However, having seen the benefits (albeit minimal to date) that exercise can bring I am driven to step it up a number of notches.

With this in mind, I hope to give a much better reflection of myself should I (hopefully) be able to re-take AOSB.

4. You are welcome No. 16.

The question of pre military fitness preparation is asked on here almost daily. I suggest search through this thread, go back a few pages and all your question will be answered in one way or another. Many people follow the guidance provided on ARRSE, hopefully to their benefit.

My only personal piece of advice is to train 'a little often' as opposed to infrequent training, this will allow your body to get used to physical activity. No point in training hard for a couple of days then not bothering for a couple of weeks. You would achieve nothing that way. Since you are not generally a fitness orientated person (though you will need to be), a short 20 minute run 4 days a week and a few upper body exercises about 3 days per week should 'break the back' of it as you get into it and start to enjoy it more. Of course, the length of time you have between now and joining/selection will also determine how you need to go about your training. Like I said, make it a habit and you will learn to enjoy it.
  5. Panda - again, thankyou for your reply.

With the current schedule in front of me, its a 4day a week plan, increasing steadily over 12 weeks. It is one I'm determined to stick to, with a number of the "break" days converted into extra training. Without talking to my sponsor, and getting feedback from the AOSB, I cannot be sure of an overall timeline between now and a 2nd Main Board. However, most seem to indicate it is 6months - 1year (hopefully the former).

I can get used to a habit pretty quickly - sometimes to bad effects! So sticking to this plan should do me a lot of good mentally and physically.

I will have a search of the H&F forums (though my time is also split looking through the Officer Recruitment forums!) and see what information is available.

As for the circuits, I'm using my 'nonce' and taking it as chin ups, squats, press ups, sit ups, raises, lunges and so on (2x12 of each seems somewhat minimal though for the first week!).

6. Hey number 16 you sound very much like myself before i started. A year ago i was overweight and never did exercise, i went from barely being able to run 40 metres to starting in 3 weeks. I didnt have the luxury of a scheduled program to follow but i went out 5 days a week and worked completely on the mile and a half run and my pressups (could just manage 1) :roll:

Basically it will take time and will be hard but every so often you will notice a vast improvement and that will spur you on. A year later and the running and fitness has became so second nature that it is a part of life... to the point i get displeased if i dont get out for my run. Basically if i can run anybody can, good luck!
  7. Dawson - Thankyou for replying.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who started from a very poor fitness base - University really did ruin any fitness I had! got to say, I do get annoyed if I don't run or do exercises, I feel I'm letting myself down now. This programme should make sure its second nature to me.

I am however, concerned with the schedule, week 1 is as follows:

Day 1 (Level 1) - Steady run 20mins; 3 x 1/2 max pressups (I'm taking this is 3x half the maximum number of pressups I can do), 3x 8 squats, 3x 1/2 Sit-ups (same applies here), 3x 8 Dorsal Raises

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - 10-15min Warm up, Run 1 Min, Rest 1 min, repeat for 10mins (75-80% effort), 10min cooldown

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - 10 Min Warm Up, Circuit 2x 12 each exercise, 10min cool down

Day 6 - Rest

Day 7 - Paced Walk/Cycle for 30-40mins or Swim for 20-25mins

The schedule worries are as follows

1. The rest days seem too numerous, I'm trying to think of suitable replacements for at least 1-2 a week
    2. The Circuit is labelled as a fairly intensive session. But Aside from the pulls ups, it seems somewhat 'easy' and short. That is of course based upon the idea that it refers to Press ups, Tricep Dips, Chin-up, Sit-up, Dorsal Raise, Squat, Lunge, Heel Raise (the list provided in the "see the exercises" section of the website I previously referred to). Are there any suggestions as to what this circuit refers to?

I took Panda's advice and looked through several pages + the search function, but there was little information as to what the circuit training actually involves!

I have, against my own previous commitment, posted a rather long reply again - Its not usual for me! I'm wondering if 'txt spk' would be better!

No. 16.
  8. I personally dont really do circuits as part of my training, i have done in the past however, but i prefer to work building up the core strenghts of them such as improving pull ups, press ups etc. I do running mon,wed,fri and strenght exercises the other two week days and take the weekends as rest days. However i have recently stopped being so rigid and up tight about it and found i enjoy it far more. For instance the last few weeks have had the first sunny days of the year and have went running on those even if i had ran the day before. I find being free from a strict regime towards the days has brought the fun back into it.
  9. Having a strict core element is not the best of ideas anyway.
    For building strength and mass of course.
  10. Matty and Dawson - Thankyou for your replies

I have virtually answered my own question through searching google. What a difference a few words make to finding an applicable website! If anyone should be reading this seeking to undertake the same plan, then this will certainly help. The website in question is from the Guardian:

It details the circuit itself. Though I'll have to research the initial movements and techniques, it should come along soon. As a side note, the squats and dorsal raises didnt feel to be doing anything - though I am under the impression it will change in due course as the repetitions increase.

Dawson - I do hope to enjoy the exercise when I reach the initial standard required, however, I'm driving myself to get it done for the time being until I can be assured that I've reached my set goal (AOSB fitness). That, and of course the benefits of having a trim and well defined physique for the opposite sex! *ahem*

Matty - Have to say, found your sig a little distracting - for the good that is.

No. 16
  11. Good to hear, this proves my point, make physical exercise a daily habit and when you miss a day you feel like you're becoming unfit!
  12. No. 16, in answer to the Week 1 program you provided and your concerns, remember it is Week 1 and meant to be easy so you feel you want to do more. Like I mentioned, it is 'breaking the back', getting you into a routine. If you really must do more then I suggest lots of easy walking.

Where did you find that program? I am amazed that 'experts' come up with novice programs that are so imbalanced. Here are my reasons for saying that:

From Week 1 they have you doing speed orientated training. 75-80% is not too difficult but imagine an unfit, overweight person putting that strain on their organs, joints and muscles from the very first week? Madness. Then the program offers no recovery other than complete rest before asking the novice to do it again the following day. Recovery should incorporate gentle exercise, in this case I suggest easy walking. The walking would ease the muscles and joints that rest would not. With rest you would just remain stiff.

Nearly always I notice that exercise programs on ARRSE and elsewhere ignore the simple fundamentals of getting fit. You need a base fitness, 'core' fitness as someone previously mentioned. When you have a base fitness level you can turn yourself to most sports or training programs and adapt to it quickly because you are 'heart and lungs' fit.

To achieve this base you need to train regularly with quantity not quality in mind which is why expecting a novice to run 80% efforts on day 2 of Week 1 is irresponsible.

Maybe such programs are devised by bods from the APTC who are geared to keeping you fit rather than getting you fit. There's a big difference. I turned up for basic training in 1984 as fit as a fiddle, 12 weeks later I was in relatively poor shape. As a 17 year old civvy I would train every day as a way of life, in basic we got a couple of nasty gym beastings per week (which go against the fundamentals as I earlier mentioned) and the odd tab and assault course.
  13. Panda, the plan is listed and detailed on the Army's "Army Fit" site:

It seems each week, over the 12 weeks, is of a very similar nature in both set-up and exercises performed. Whilst there is some degree of change between say tri-dips and dorsal raises, it is for the most part the same each week, but increasing in reps and exercise times.
  14. That site looks very nice, eat yourself fit and all that. 12 weeks is a good duration to go from unfit to very fit, shame they did not plan 4-6 weeks base fitness build up befors rushing into 80% efforts. The upper body work seems fine. One can become very strong upper body without having a good heart and lungs level of fitness which overall is not what you will need in the military. Heart and lungs, i.e. endurance fitness is far more important. Other fitness can stem from there as I mentioned.

Here's an example: Take two men of equal ability and train them to be boxers for 12 weeks and let them fight each other for 3 rounds at the end of their training.

Boxer 1 concentrate on 75% fitness and 25% boxing technique.

Boxer 2 concentrate on 25% fitness and 75% boxing technique.

Who would win? Boxer 1 would knock the shite out of boxer 2 because he is supremely endurance fit, might be relatively crap at push ups compared to Boxer 2 but Boxer 2 has not the fitness to allow his technical ability to shine through beyond the first round while Boxer 1 can throw plenty more of his technically poor (but hard) punches for the entire fight while Boxer 2 is faltering.
  15. Interesting note Panda. Reminds me of university strangely! Needing an all round fitness base to satisfy myself and anything at my 2nd AOSB, its reassuring to hear that the plan will offer this, from someone who has much more of an idea about exercise! I will be adding more to each week, as noted before, cancelling out some of the rest days and repeating day 1 or 5 for instance. I'll be continuing tomorrow, which will hopefully allow me to take my mind off what the report from the AOSB could/could not say - I still do not know!

Thankyou for your replies Panda, they have been more than helpful