Fitness and bleep test mismatches (hopefully)

Hello first post here, pleased to meet you all.

I’m at the pre briefing stage of a general entry officer application, I’m pretty happy I’m at or close to being at all the standards required, but the bleep test is proving a bit of a nightmare.

I’m sure there are dozens (I’ve read some of them) of posts by people who’s fitness is subpar talking about how the bleep test is too difficult for them - and maybe I’m one of them, but I personally don’t think so. For the 2k run I am consistently getting times around 7:30 or slightly less, I regularly train both intervals and endurance running, including trial running with uphill elevation gains of nearly 1k (I live near the mountains). However my bleep test is in joke territory - 6 or 7.

All the usual stuff people mention is happening (bad turning form, poor pacing at beginning) but I find it hard to believe these contribute enough to such a huge mismatch in scores. The turns are a nightmare but even by 4 I seem to find bleep test quite difficult - I’m at a loss for how to train for this considering my background in running with hills; intervals etc.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? I’m semi tempted to wait till COVID is over to see if they’ll switch back to the 2k run - although I think officers already had to do both?

Any advice to share would be highly welcome

How do you run the bleep test? Do you run the twenty metres, come more or less to a halt and dip your toe over the line?

Try running in a loop so you are not constantly stopping and starting.

Failing that its just practice. You can download the bleep test off the internet.

My advice, as I've been preparing for my one next week at MB, would be to keep practicing the test. Eventually you will naturally find your rhythm and your breathing pattern. This means you'll be hitting the marker perfectly everytime and it becomes more of a continuous run. You'd be surprised how much that makes a difference, I couldn't hit 5 the first time I tried. 3 weeks of running the beep test 3-4 times a week and i could hit 8.7!
At briefing we only completed the beep test, and at MB there is no mention of a 2k run in our brief. Best of luck

Did
How do you run the bleep test? Do you run the twenty metres, come more or less to a halt and dip your toe over the line?

Try running in a loop so you are not constantly stopping and starting.

Failing that its just practice. You can download the bleep test off the internet.
have been stopping a bit too quickly, and will try the loop method. Thanks

Other things that'll help:

Interval training - but you MUST push yourself, as the bleep test is designed to test your CV system through acceleration & deceleration
Playing squash - again, you must play hard, but do this 3 or 4 times per week for 45 mins per go and the bleep test will prove a piece of old p**s.
Lunges - to get the thigh muscles in shape.

Make sure you've measured the distance exactly. It's really important that it's exacly 20m.

Try to keep the pace down to start with, or you'll knacker yourself before you get to the higher levels.

Make sure you've measured the distance exactly. It's really important that it's exacly 20m.

Try to keep the pace down to start with, or you'll knacker yourself before you get to the higher levels.
This. I found I spent the whole test flirting with failure to get the best result.

Even when I was doing the Lanyard Trophy tab and on my regiment's boxing team, I was never much good at bleep tests. All that stopping and starting again, changing direction. Probably the main reason I was crap at football and rugby. Although I always played as a young lad.

The lad who told me to run it in a loop/circuit was shite at BFTs, but he had no problem with bleep tests. He played a lot of football and put it down to the training.

Thanks for all the helpful responses - didn’t realise I can only reply once every hour (anti-spam?) but many useful points in the above so thank you all!

From what I have found online is that strength training will help with turning. As you are still in the early stages you still have a lot of time to correct this. I personally strength train multiple times a week, and have had no issue with regards to the bleep test. So maybe have a search on the internet for a programme. Have a look at Mike Chadwick or Farren Morgan on instagram, they are both serving PTI who post a lot of knowledgeable content on Instagram.

I'm a bit late to the thread here, but if you're running 2k in 7:30 or less you shouldn't be having any trouble reaching level 9-10 on the bleep test. The usual culprit for failing to reach the standard if you're otherwise fit is doing the test after having measured out the 20 metres yourself, which is often how people practice. If you accidentally have it measured out at 21 or 22 metres (which is quite easy to do if you're faffing with a tape measure etc), you can make the test drastically harder. Same goes for it's too short.

Assuming you've got that bit nailed, the other general tips are:

1. DO NOT RUN IN A LOOP. This wastes a lot of energy and will still require you to make a tight turn at one end, especially with other people running along side you.

2. Make sure only one foot is going over the line, and use your arms to propel yourself back the right direction. You only need to touch your toes over the line and you're all good.

3. Stick to the bleeps. Don't run ahead of them, especially early on. You'll be marginally ahead for levels 1 and 2, but don't sprint flat out and then stand there for 7 seconds. Level 1 is supposed to be the warm up.

Dshishod

Clanker
Hi, out of interest are you penalised for running before a bleep? Sorry if seems a dumb question. I know you’re obviously penalised for missing a bleep but just curious as to what’s the rule on running before it

Hi, out of interest are you penalised for running before a bleep? Sorry if seems a dumb question. I know you’re obviously penalised for missing a bleep but just curious as to what’s the rule on running before it
You shouldn't be running before the bleep, as that defeats the point of the bleep test.

Most likely given a verbal warning for it first.

The bleep test went out for me a few years ago with the advent of the SCR, but I found it much easier than the PFA. I used to easily get in 300 club territory, something I could get nowhere near with the 2.4km run.

My tips for bleep test:

1. Try and get used to only just making the beep, even for the easier levels. If you get there too early, you have to stop and you waste momentum. Too late and the PTIs will fail you.

2. (Linked to 1) I used to do a 'skip' with a turn in mid air for my last stride so that I landed facing the right way. You can then bounce off the landing foot (work on plyometric squats in the gym so that you have 'bouncy' legs). If you time it right, you keep as much momentum as possible rather than having to accelerate from zero every length. I used to feel like I was 'jump kicking' like a ninja to reach the line rather than just shambling there.

3. By stretching your landing leg out, your body and centre of mass don't go over the line. This might sound trivial, but 0.5m less travelling every length makes a massive difference.

4. No matter how fit you are, it starts to feel unnaturally hard after level 7. I have cracked level 14 before where I've felt knackered after level 7/8. It's a weird feeling, but one that can be overcome. The actual time between level 7 and level 11 is very short, so just keep telling yourself "One more length". Do not quit. You can keep going for longer.

5. As others have said, rigidly mark out 20m. Also try and use a gym floor, or worst case, clean tarmac. If the floor is even slightly slippery, it'll be a nightmare. Make sure you use clean indoor shoes that grip completely.

Other than that, just get some determination. Nail the technique and simply tell yourself that you absolutely will not quit. Push as hard as you can until the PTIs fail you. You can always get another length.

Yes, because you start to go out of sync and it's hard(er) for the staff to keep track of everyone during the early levels. You can get away with it a little bit, but if you're already five paces in when the beep goes you're going to be told to wait for the beep.

Dshishod

Clanker
Yes, because you start to go out of sync and it's hard(er) for the staff to keep track of everyone during the early levels. You can get away with it a little bit, but if you're already five paces in when the beep goes you're going to be told to wait for the beep.

Yeh makes total sense was just curious as majority is about missing a beep when technically not waiting for a beep is just as bad. Was wondering if youd be made to go back (because that’d be you fucked) or most likely verbally told first

Latest Threads