fitness advice

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by El_Pato, Dec 16, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents/Ladies of the APTC, these days I am a stab and therefore have to look after my own fitness. I now run to and from work 3 x per week, that is about 27 minutes of running each way (so 27 mins morning and 27 mins evening) usually on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thing is I don't feel as fit as I think I ought, is there something in the fitness rulebook that says that working in the way I am is ineffective?

I tend to cycle the other two days, and play club rugby on a saturday, so by rights I should be fit as fcuk.

Thoughts?

Pato

2. Try the bus.

3. have you ever been on a bus? I saw it on a documentary once, it is absolutely hideous. All that polyester, euuuuuuuu

4. Saves wear and tear on yer trainers.

5. Far from expert on this but I believe it may have something to do with cardio-vascular effort kicking in after about 45 mins of running. Stopping short of that counts as a 10-min warm up of the big muscles and the rest as 'lower level' exercise. From what I have been told (and experienced), the 27 min mark would be when your heart is just about to get to the good stuff.

How do you feel after the 27 mins? If you can talk and breathe normally and you are not sweating massively then you are probably in good shape and one option may be leaving for work earlier and running the long way round to get the extra time/distance. Sounds grim though on a dark winter's morning though, I know. Anyway, this is very much food for thought rather than expert opinion. Can you check with a PTI?

6. Cycle more - you get RESPOD for yer bike!

7. That's what I reckoned, Sweetheart. I feel fine at the end, though lugging self out of bed at sparrows and running straight away isn't as easy as it used to be.

I'll keep doing it mind as it saves me a fortune.

One_flew_over, really? How does that work?

8. yes really, you get about 17p per day - so put the claim in once a year for a chrissie bonus! Claim as ordinary RESPOD but put bike where it says CC of car. Ask yer RAO!

9. will give it a shot. Chairs mate

10. That's the trainers in the bin then.

11. 17p a day? Spotter.

12. Spotter maybe - but a richer one for it! Now I remember it's based on milage so it's only 17p if you live 7 miles from work!

13. Deleted by Mod on 12 Jan 03.

Keep the drivel in the NAAFI please.

14. OK dts - I'll hang up the cycle clips, gab a cocoa and read my pay and allowances handbook!!

15. Deleted by Mod on 12 Jan 03.

Keep the drivel in the NAAFI please.