CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems that Mr Gerrard doesn’t believe his team “have the bottle” for a title challenge anymore, while many have been crowing on social media whilst comparing this latest slip up to his own famous personal slip whilst Liverpool were challenging for the title no one has considered how this will affect both his future and that of Rangers. The various memes and gifs referencing Murty, may indeed be funny, but they ignore the implications of another failed title challenge whilst I personally don’t think he will give up on management as a career, he may decide to give up on Rangers. It’s no doubt that he’s enviously glancing south and watching his former England team mate, Lampard and his Chelsea team progressing, continuous failures with Rangers will make his dream of managing Liverpool fade further away. No doubt there is no chance of him taking over whilst Klopp is content to stay and challenge for titles and cups, but even the chance of getting into the Liverpool set up will fade further away into the distance the longer Gerrard remains without a significant managerial success.

Bottles flung at players, morelos subject to racial abuse by fans and mainstream media, employees of the club filled in, list goes on. Seems to be open season against the club and those associated with it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are times when you are really pleased that you support a "diddy team" like Inverness Caley Thistle. Watching these various antics, now is one of those times.

Quarter final here we come.
Except when you play the Staggies, though obviously that'll not be this season. :biggrin:

Bottles flung at players, morelos subject to racial abuse by fans and mainstream media, employees of the club filled in, list goes on. Seems to be open season against the club and those associated with it.
"Accept the fact you support a club that cheated the taxman" repeated ad nausea by every celtic supporter who are not obsessed no sireee.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"Accept the fact you support a club that cheated the taxman" repeated ad nausea by every celtic supporter who are not obsessed no sireee.
No, that was a different club, Rangers.

Now they support The Rangers.

An entirely different club.

Almost every SPL club bar Killie voted against Rangers to stay in the top tier. Much of the opposition was led by the late Turnbull Hutton, of Raith Rovers.

Newco Rangers started in the 3rd tier at the expense of Spartans (I believe)

All Timmy's fault though.....

Almost every SPL club bar Killie voted against Rangers to stay in the top tier. Much of the opposition was led by the late Turnbull Hutton, of Raith Rovers.

Newco Rangers started in the 3rd tier at the expense of Spartans (I believe)

It is Timmy's fault though.....
FOC

To quote “Butch”

There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
It is great to see that you have finally moved on from the Daily Record to one of the finest writers in the English language.

Well done you.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
With both Celtic and Rangers in action last night what did we learn? No doubt many Celtic fans are glad that an away goal was scored to take to Parkhead, others are bemused that we did not continue to play in the the second half as we had in the first, some blaming the manager for trying to “manage” the game and others blaming individual players for errors or “poor performances”. Was Lennon’s tactics wrong, did he fail to react with sufficient speed to the change in the home team?

In a rain soaked Ibrox (did anyone else wonder if Noah was in the crowd) Rangers managed to make a significant comeback against some determined opponents. As I was unable to watch or listen to either game last night and was relying on furtive checks on social media, I was convinced they were due another “brave but futile” performance. I presumed this would further erode their team morale domestically meaning more dropped points. Unfortunately I got a nasty shock when I managed to check the results much later.

As to the return fixtures I see Celtic’s home advantage and confidence being too much for the Danes, who will battle bravely but hopefully forlornly in the Parkhead cauldron. Whilst I think that the away goals against Rangers will be pivotal and too big a hurdle for them (obviously in an ideal world they’ll get a proper spanking, leading to an ignominious slide down the domestic table) to overcome.

With both Celtic and Rangers in action last night what did we learn? No doubt many Celtic fans are glad that an away goal was scored to take to Parkhead, others are bemused that we did not continue to play in the the second half as we had in the first, some blaming the manager for trying to “manage” the game and others blaming individual players for errors or “poor performances”. Was Lennon’s tactics wrong, did he fail to react with sufficient speed to the change in the home team?

In a rain soaked Ibrox (did anyone else wonder if Noah was in the crowd) Rangers managed to make a significant comeback against some determined opponents. As I was unable to watch or listen to either game last night and was relying on furtive checks on social media, I was convinced they were due another “brave but futile” performance. I presumed this would further erode their team morale domestically meaning more dropped points. Unfortunately I got a nasty shock when I managed to check the results much later.

As to the return fixtures I see Celtic’s home advantage and confidence being too much for the Danes, who will battle bravely but hopefully forlornly in the Parkhead cauldron. Whilst I think that the away goals against Rangers will be pivotal and too big a hurdle for them (obviously in an ideal world they’ll get a proper spanking, leading to an ignominious slide down the domestic table) to overcome.
For 60 minutes Braga were strolling it and left us chasing shadows. A somewhat surprising change of Aribo at LWB for Barasic led to a drastic upturn in performance along with Hagi Junior. Still cant quite believe we came away with the win which leaves myself and most other bears frustrated knowing the levels we can actually play at. Seems to be the problem we face is breaking down teams who park the bus but teams that actually play football (Europe and celtic) see us play to our strengths.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well today was quite a surprise, at one point it looked like Rangers were going to actually cut Celtic’s lead, now Celtic are 12 points ahead and sections of the Rangers support are beginning to think the unthinkable and murmurs about Gerrard are increasing. Is he tactically naive and inflexible? It appears he changed his formation from his favoured one, which resulted in Rangers taking the lead, consequently he changed back lost control of the game and dropped more points.

It appears there is “something rotten in Govan”, whilst Gerrard will have half of his mind looking south to Liverpool (his ultimate aim after all is to manage his former team) and watching his contemporaries as they take their first steps in management, he will be urgently aware of the increasing urgency of winning a trophy, not specifically for Rangers but to ensure that his own managerial career has some chance of continuing. Whilst it may not be in Rangers interests of parting company with Gerrard right now, both for financial reasons and because there simply is no suitable replacement to put in his place. Replacing with Agent Murty whilst the humour in such a position would be legendary it would be probably disastrous for Rangers. It appears they appear to be in a bit of a bind and the forthcoming Bragga game will be approaching like the tread of doom as it’s looking more and more unlikely that Rangers will be able to overcome them and if they did would it simply prolong the agony? Watching the posts of Rangers fans on various social media shows a deep level of unhappiness with the current situation and an awareness of the situation that they currently appear to be in with no clear route out of the morass they currently are faced with.

Well today was quite a surprise, at one point it looked like Rangers were going to actually cut Celtic’s lead, now Celtic are 12 points ahead and sections of the Rangers support are beginning to think the unthinkable and murmurs about Gerrard are increasing. Is he tactically naive and inflexible? It appears he changed his formation from his favoured one, which resulted in Rangers taking the lead, consequently he changed back lost control of the game and dropped more points.

It appears there is “something rotten in Govan”, whilst Gerrard will have half of his mind looking south to Liverpool (his ultimate aim after all is to manage his former team) and watching his contemporaries as they take their first steps in management, he will be urgently aware of the increasing urgency of winning a trophy, not specifically for Rangers but to ensure that his own managerial career has some chance of continuing. Whilst it may not be in Rangers interests of parting company with Gerrard right now, both for financial reasons and because there simply is no suitable replacement to put in his place. Replacing with Agent Murty whilst the humour in such a position would be legendary it would be probably disastrous for Rangers. It appears they appear to be in a bit of a bind and the forthcoming Bragga game will be approaching like the tread of doom as it’s looking more and more unlikely that Rangers will be able to overcome them and if they did would it simply prolong the agony? Watching the posts of Rangers fans on various social media shows a deep level of unhappiness with the current situation and an awareness of the situation that they currently appear to be in with no clear route out of the morass they currently are faced with.
There is something wrong, call it lack of confidence or simple indolence.

TamH70

MIA
There is something wrong, call it lack of confidence or simple indolence.
Fear.

Put simply I think that that is the situation at Ibrox right now. Fear of Celtic winning not just nine in a row, which one would argue is a racing certainty at this stage in the season, even though Rangers have at least one game in hand over Celtic and mibbies two over the rest of the league if I'm looking at the table correctly, (oops, I'm not - see below link) but ten in a row. That's never been done in the top tier of Scottish football in any era. And hence also fear of the inevitable fan reaction.

So much fear in fact that it looks like becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm not sure that getting rid of Gerrard, even if that's what the owners want to do, will solve anything unless they can get rid of the fear and get the players to enjoy earning what is, after all, a ludicrously large amount of money to kick a high-tech air-filled bladder around a large expanse of grass for ninety minutes plus the inevitable stoppage time.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Glasgow became the graveyard of John Barnes managerial dreams and career, is it now going to also include Stevie G’s? As others have alluded to there may be a problem in the Rangers mental approach that has entered their psyche and is now eroding the team from within. This season could really become interesting and not because there is a real title race but because it could see another crisis at Ibrox, not a financial crisis but a crisis of faith.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Glasgow became the graveyard of John Barnes managerial dreams and career, is it now going to also include Stevie G’s? As others have alluded to there may be a problem in the Rangers mental approach that has entered their psyche and is now eroding the team from within. This season could really become interesting and not because there is a real title race but because it could see another crisis at Ibrox, not a financial crisis but a crisis of faith.
Better be careful using "faith" and "Ibrox" in the same sentence can lead to wrong conclusions! ;)

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Better be careful using "faith" and "Ibrox" in the same sentence can lead to wrong conclusions! ;)
I meant “faith” as in faith in themselves; in that they can find it within themselves to beat other teams. Not “faith” in a quasi religious sense, no matter what their fans may or may not believe about the “religious experience” of visiting Ibrox. At the moment watching their performances there can be only two explanations; they don’t believe they can beat other teams or their tactics are too inflexible and have now been “sussed” by their opponents. Whilst it appears that Celtic do have belief in themselves that they can beat any other team and are able to grind other teams down and overwhelm them even if they are behind.

TheAssassin

War Hero
I meant “faith” as in faith in themselves; in that they can find it within themselves to beat other teams. Not “faith” in a quasi religious sense, no matter what their fans may or may not believe about the “religious experience” of visiting Ibrox. At the moment watching their performances there can be only two explanations; they don’t believe they can beat other teams or their tactics are too inflexible and have now been “sussed” by their opponents. Whilst it appears that Celtic do have belief in themselves that they can beat any other team and are able to grind other teams down and overwhelm them even if they are behind.
was faith with a small "f", so permitted

Latest Threads