CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well now that Rangers have gained promotion to the Premiership, it's high time we have somewhere to discuss the game* in Scotland, both the beautiful and the ugly side of the game.

So wether you support one of the Old Firm or your local Junior team you can and gloat, moan and celebrate your team's success and abject failures. Personally speaking as a Celtic fan, I think Celtic have definitely suffered from the lack of Rangers; in a four year period where we should have swept the boards clean with our main rival gone, we've progressively got poorer, our performance in Europe especially.

* Yes @johnboyzzz and @Auld-Yin I well know you think "Wendyball" isn't a proper sport.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well now that Rangers have gained promotion to the Premiership, it's high time we have somewhere to discuss the game* in Scotland, both the beautiful and the ugly side of the game.

So wether you support one of the Old Firm or your local Junior team you can and gloat, moan and celebrate your team's success and abject failures. Personally speaking as a Celtic fan, I think Celtic have definitely suffered from the lack of Rangers; in a four year period where we should have swept the boards clean with our main rival gone, we've progressively got poorer, our performance in Europe especially.

* Yes @johnboyzzz and @Auld-Yin I well know you think "Wendyball" isn't a proper sport.
You are talking about two teams that don't even want to play in Scotland! Still you gave the English a good laugh when it was mentioned!

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm going to form a splitter thread for those of us who support the mighty Falkirk FC..........................anyone?

Just me then.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
You are talking about two teams that don't even want to play in Scotland! Still you gave the English a good laugh when it was mentioned!
I don't want them to play in England, I know there are economic reasons for and against them leaving. I just want my team to play here, personally I really want the level of the Scottish game to get back to the level it was when I was a youngster.

I'm going to form a splitter thread for those of us who support the mighty Falkirk FC..........................anyone?

Just me then.
Well if they help keep Hibs down then I'll be delighted.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
So was this the Rangers that were banished to the fourteenth division for being naughty with Ali McCouist as manager? They've made it back have they?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
So was this the Rangers that were banished to the fourteenth division for being naughty with Ali McCouist as manager? They've made it back have they?
No. It's a new club with a brief, four year history.

The game is bollixed, it was as soon as Murdoch got involved and the Premier league started. I was on hollies from the ME and think it was a Man U game on. Everyone was commenting on the quality of the coverage and I dropped into the conversation that Scottish football along with the English lower leagues was going to die. Cue everyone looking at me like I had two heads.

I don't think there's a fix in sight, moving to the EPL was always a non option IMO. The Atlantic League format had possibilities but I think that things have moved on too far now. I doubt the reintroduction of newco ;-) will change things. It's all about money.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer

Just me then.
As the Argylls recruited in Falkirk, or as its colloquially known Fa'kirk, there was always a number of fervent Bairns fans kicking about. There was along with the normal Old Firm rivalry, normal to any Scottish Regiment a very healthy rivalry between Inverclyde and Renfrewshire as represented by St Mirren and Greenock Morton. As Morton's fortunes waned the Buddies loudly crowed their superiority, ironic then that they're in the Championship now.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Just me then.
Bairn!

Just me then.
Maybe one day The Bairns will join the Scottish Pub League.

From the sporting wastelands to obscurity.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No. It's a new club with a brief, four year history.
But still wearing stars on their short depicting wins by the Old Co. Bit like the Royal Regiment of Scotland carrying Battle Honours for their antecedent Regiments! :)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
As the Argylls recruited in Falkirk, or as its colloquially known Fa'kirk, there was always a number of fervent Bairns fans kicking about. There was along with the normal Old Firm rivalry, normal to any Scottish Regiment a very healthy rivalry between Inverclyde and Renfrewshire as represented by St Mirren and Greenock Morton. As Morton's fortunes waned the Buddies loudly crowed their superiority, ironic then that they're in the Championship now.
Yep. My first - and I hasten to add ACF - cap badge at the age of 13 was on the Glenngarry of Princess Louise's own back in the day.

I don't want them to play in England, I know there are economic reasons for and against them leaving. I just want my team to play here, personally I really want the level of the Scottish game to get back to the level it was when I was a youngster.
There isn't the base to scout from CC.

Barring a sudden influx of cheap Messi type immigrants it isn't going to happen. Subtlety isn't appreciated in junior football is it? The scythe being the most appreciated tackle, closely followed by the square go. I can remember about half of the Tayport team getting sent off against Larkhall Thistle for some serious full contact wall making. Black eyes all round and everyone laughing.

Last edited:
God, going on my antecedents the only Jock football team I can support is bloody Alloa.

I would be interested to know from fans north of the border whether they feel there is any remote glimmer of things improving in the near future with domestic football, or whether the promotion of Rangers will simply resurrect the old one eyed focus on the Old Firm again? As the OP said Celtic have seemingly stagnated in Rangers absence and whilst Gers fans may feel cock a hoop tonight do they really think that their current squad will automatically compete in the Scot Prem? Have the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts genuinely developed and moved on in the absence of one of the Old Firm or will it be normal service resumed next season? Genuine questions for the Scots football element here. I'll be honest and state that the few genuine Scottish football fans that I respect and natter to down here (from all persuasions) honestly seem a bit flat with it all.

Pretty sure that fitba fans will be looking forward to the resumption of the two horse race that SPL was before The 'Gers fall from grace.