Fit to fight - Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by scooperman, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys

Thought I would post this up here as I know that a few of you are keen fighters.

I have been training Muay Thai for 6 months now, after training in a couple of traditional martial arts, and am loving every minute of it. So much so, that I would like to start taking things to the next level, in both training, and fitness.

The problem is, I can make it to 3 - 4 hour long classes per week, so I need a decent idea for an all round strength, speed and endurance programme for the rest of the week. Lots of long distance running is out for the time being, as i'm quite heavy (6'4 149lbs). I have beasted 5 x 5 sets of olympic lifts for a while and am now feeling a little weighty for it. I have access to a well equipped gym, and barbells, dumbells, gym ball + skipping rope at home.

I was looking for an advanced set of circuits that will push my CV fitness up, but also my functional strength, speed and flexibility.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys
  2. Not trying to be funny, and wish you well here, but... I remember a bodybuilder I knew, aged about 30, getting heart pains for overdoing it. If you have 12 hours spare a week, have you thought about a part time job that would get you lifting heavy weights and moving around at the same time? It might be healthier and you could earn some spare cash. It all depends on where you live of course, but maybe a hospital laundry or butcher's delivery firm might be able to offer you something. Furniture removal companies are another possibility, but sooner or later you have to move a piano, so perhaps not.

Just my tuppence worth, I am sure a knowledgeable person will post a challenging set of exercises for you. I'll stick to lifting my soup spoon and lusting after Matron.
  3. Quite heavy, **** right off. I'm 5 11 and 84.

I fought A class for a few years and have quite a few fights under my belt (you'd have to, to at least survive the first a class round). Still ranked top 5 for 2 weight catagories (**** knows how on that one).
    Are you looking to fight or just improve conditioning for general purposes (and to fully utilise a session without flagging)?

Where are you weak; power, strength, stamina? You can beast the fitness all you want, but if you're strengthening something thats strong and not working your weaknesses, your wasting your time as your only as strong as your weakest link.

Also, nothing wrong with strength work as long as you use as a tool, not as the bulk of your training. If nothing else you can never be too strong and it can help prevent injuries. Knee and ankle issues along with shoulder strains are the main ones and strength work helps the tendons.
  4. Thanks for the replies

First off, typo in my original post, I'm 249 lbs, sorry bout that.

I also work a 35 hour week in an office, so I need all the training I can get out of work!

I'm comfortable with my strength, but it's my stamina on the pads that is lacking, and when
    Sparring about 80% for 3 min rounds. I threw up last week, which spurred me to ask, its
    Really just a pretty intense set of circuits needed, but I can't seem to replicate the feeling of padwork
    As I don't have a bag to practise rounds on, so need something to replicate that gassing feeling,

Thanks (posted from mobile so text may be gammy!)
  5. Ah, well that is slightly different (the no LSD remark makes sense now).

Yeah I'm a working stiff these days as well. Crap isn't it.
    Re strength, I would still suggest you keep lifting, but with low volume so you don't lose strength.
    I reached 2.25 bw deadlift and 1.75 bw squat and I wasn't happy, although I felt sufficiently strong to ship my focus on developing exploisve strength.

Honestly, even at 6 months your body still has lots to adapt to.
    My personal suggestion is get your general conditioning up (bike, swim, cycle), and then cycle in periods of shorter sprint work.
    The sick feeling is due to a build up of lactic. The longer sessions (LSD, long-slow-duration), will help develop your aerobic capacity so that when you hit pads it will take longer for the lactic to build up. It's a long old slog, but you can get in more volume (and hence more adaption) without plateauing, especially if you are unfit to start (no offense, but it sounds like you are).
    This should be done on top of your normal training.

Circuit training should be left until you can happily tick over sparring and get 5-10 rounds out without dying or shelling up from exhaustion. It'll be wasted effort otherwise.

Your sparring should be the only specific high intensity work you do as doing more will hinder recovery.

A obvious thing that will happen as you spar more is you will relax. After only 6 months I guarantee you'll still be overly excited and having adrenaline dumps which bring on the weakness and sickness and rob you of fitness.

On another note- I suggest you try losing some weight (I don't really like suggesting that) and try running. Not hard, just enough top be taxing. You need strong and more importantly durable legs for muay thai. Getting some spring on the canvas is vital (unless you fight in thailand where they just stand and trade until either a lucky shot is landed or the less conditioned guy gases).

You of course don't need to heed my advice and there are a lot of different opinions about, but that's your choice.
  6. Thanks for the informative reply, and advice will definitely be heeded.

Have got the timetable for local pool, and am eyeing up a new bike, as I live semi rural, and could enjoy getting out on the trails. I agree with cutting weight, and have lately started to cut drinking and processed foods out of my diet, switching to whole foods, lean meat, and lots of oats, and am starting to see the difference.

May look into spinning classes, as well as trying some light interval running. Coupled with some more intense training sessions, I hope that this will see me right in the short term.

Thanks again (n.b which gym did you train at?)
  7. I feel your pain; working full time and trying to get enough training on top sucks.

I understand why you are reluctant to run, given your size. I'm 15 kilos lighter than you and I find running very difficult and unpleasant. But have you considered sprint training? This kind of anorobic fitness work might help you in pad circuits and sparring.

You can sprint on a flat route but hill sprints are better.

I would also advise you to join and post on Sherdog. There are some very good martial artists there with a lot of knowledge on conditioning.
  8. Me included. I have the pro tag on there.
    I would suggest if he's going there to read the whole EZA thread as that is very informative and does dispell a few myths.
    No offense but the anaerobic fitness part you mentioned in your post above is part of the equation. Reading the EZA thread there is a lot of mention of cardiac output and the oxitdative qualities of the fast twitch muscles. It all depends on what he is weak on.
  9. No offense taken, Ian. Sherdog is a good site and has helped me with my strength training.