Fit or not, when outside

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by codbutt, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was fairly fit when I was in, and initially even fitter once I got out (oddly enough). Now, I'm at about one, on a scale of one to ten. But I'm 43, don't really put weight on, and it therefore it isn't much of an issue to me most of the time. A mate of mine getting treatment after Gulf War one said there were loads of squaddies in his ward who said "fitness - why are you bothering?"
    Admittedly, when I've gone out skiing for an hour, I feel lots better afterwards - but is it really worth bothering about getting proper fit?
    Did many of you guys stay fit when you got out?

2. Initially. I could easily pace our PSI and he was a marathon runner, so I must have been doing something right. When I left the TA I let the fitness lapse, but being of svelte, taut-buttocked physique, my subsequent lack of fitness didn't show. I left uniformed service nearly twenty years ago, and despite a brief resurgence during a failed attempt at joining the Feds, the only exercise I get now is dogging and lifting slabs of Carlsberg in Tescos.

Like yourself, I'm now a forty-something, and am still reasonably svelte and taut-buttocked. The only bugbear is the hair - or rather lack of. :(

3. I've had peaks and troughs. I initially let fitness slide big-style after I got out; then my younger sister bullied me into entering the Great Scottish Run one year and I got the fitness bug back; I kept pretty fit for a few years after that, culminating in the 2007 Edinburgh Marathon but that knackered me for a good long time and I'm only just starting to get back in proper shape now.

4. I keep my phys ticking over, but I'm nowhere near as fit was I was whilst in. Considering signing up to this thing to give me a reason to get back in the gym!