Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fit birds in uniform

1er Régiment de Hussards Parachutistes (1er RHP). Receiving the regimental fourragère at the end of basic training.

RHP.jpg

1er Régiment de Hussards Parachutistes (1er RHP). Receiving the regimental fourragère at the end of basic training.

View attachment 515467

That photo made me smile.
Drieux is a small town west of Paris which my family history is connected to and from which my surname is derived.
And my first initial is S, and I wore a red beret ( badge the other side)

And there the similarities end - not being flanged or, even worse, ginger.

1603788233386.png

French female military sports parachute team.

TBGB

Old-Salt
Dammit, she’s sitting in front of the grab handle that would have allowed us to identify the airline operating the plane. Have you got a better pic?
Would have thought the word Flair on almost every item a including her lanyard would have been enough to go on. Believe it is a low cost Canadian airline.

View attachment 515499
Very 1990's do like a woman in uniform.
Now then, SPOTY20 in the making, why the dumb? It was a genuine question, she is wearing the white tabs and hatband of a cadet at the RAFC and the rank of Flight Lieutenant in the RAF.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
Now then, SPOTY20 in the making, why the dumb? It was a genuine question, she is wearing the white tabs and hatband of a cadet at the RAFC and the rank of Flight Lieutenant in the RAF.
Officer Cadet on Collar/Flt Lt on sleeve once they pass out the rank is confirmed.
Happens on most PQC and thought someone of your statue would know this?
I was wrong it seems?

Oh and she is now a Group Captain.

Officer Cadet on Collar/Flt Lt on sleeve once they pass out the rank is confirmed.
Happens on most PQC and thought someone of your statue would know this?
I was wrong it seems?

Oh and she is now a Group Captain.
And I was to know she's a PQC how, exactly? Cadets go through Cranwell holding the rank of Plt Off.

Remind me again, whose sock are you? Dr Death is it?

RTU'd

Old-Salt
And I was to know she's a PQC how, exactly? Cadets go through Cranwell holding the rank of Plt Off.

Its funny that you slag/dumb a post but when done to you, offence is taken.
I thought you were dingers socket puppet or are you solo and an arrse on arrse?

CTD

Not entirely true, I'll explain why.

Seniority on graduation is determined by a number of factors; educational qualifications (eg if you have a Bachelors / Masters degree), prior service in the University Air Squadron system or service in the ranks, and (for PQO's) professional qualifications / accreditation. The military status of any officer cadet, untill commissioning, equates to that of an Aircraftman (i.e. a Private).

For the purposes of graduation ceremonies, the cadet's uniform is prepared with their prospective commissioning rank, as in the case of the rather attractive Flt Lt (desig) in the photo concerned. Upon reaching graduating standard, cadets then spend about a week doing admin / parade prep (colloquially known as 'drink-and-drill') before marching off the square (nowhere near as impressive as a Sandhurst graduation, to be fair) and then head off to Phase 2 training. In the RAF system, that's where the 'thinning out' takes place; flying training will bin about a half of all prospective pilots / navigators, with some re-branching to ground streams, some leaving the Service, and some transferring to the green / dark blue.

When I was a RAFC cadet in the early 90s it wasn't unusual to see PQOs march off the parade square as a Wg Cdr or a Gp Capt (principally Medics with niche qualifications).

Last edited:

Unless something has changed, which is quite possible, those going to Cranwell from university hold Fg Off or in certain cases Flt Lt. Not confirmed until successful graduation. The days of the Cranwell cdts ended early 70s. They held various ranks as they progressed through Cranwell, Flt Cdt, Senior Flt Cdt, and for some Under Officer and for just one cdt, Senior Under Officer. The latter had an inverted chevron on the lower sleeve, thin braid for the UOs and thicker braid for the SUO, if I remember rightly.

CTD

Not entirely true, I'll explain why.

Seniority on graduation is determined by a number of factors; educational qualifications (eg if you have a Bachelors / Masters degree), prior service in the University Air Squadron system or service in the ranks, and (for PQO's) professional qualifications / accreditation. The military status of any officer cadet equates to that of an Aircraftman (i.e. a Private).

For the purposes of graduation ceremonies, the cadet's uniform is prepared with their prospective commissioning rank, as in the case of the rather attractive Flt Lt (desig) in the photo concerned. Upon reaching graduating standard, cadets then spend about a week doing admin / parade prep (colloquially known as 'drink-and-drill') before marching off the square (nowhere near as impressive as a Sandhurst graduation, to be fair) and then head off to Phase 2 training.

When I was a RAFC cadet in the early 90s it wasn't unusual to see PQOs march off the parade square as a Wg Cdr or a Gp Capt (principally Medics with niche qualifications).
Unless something has changed, which is quite possible, those going to Cranwell from university hold Fg Off or in certain cases Flt Lt. Not confirmed until successful graduation. The days of the Cranwell cdts ended early 70s. They held various ranks as they progressed through Cranwell, Flt Cdt, Senior Flt Cdt, and for some Under Officer and for just one cdt, Senior Under Officer. The latter had an inverted chevron on the lower sleeve, thin braid for the UOs and thicker braid for the SUO, if I remember rightly.
Thank you both for the explanation, now I understand.

Its funny that you slag/dumb a post but when done to you, offence is taken.
I thought you were dingers socket puppet or are you solo and an arrse on arrse?
I asked a genuine question, I haven't taken offence at all. You, on the other hand, seem to take offence quite easily, usually after being pulled up having made a stupid comment.

I see there's no denial of you being a Dr Death sock, being a further sock of I don't know how many other accounts. Why do you have to keep creating new accounts?

Latest Threads