Fishers of Men(Rob Lewis)

I bought this today - hope it's good

Interestingly, Dr. Bill Matchett who is a former SB officer of some 32 years standing and whom you've met, has no good words in describing FRU, regarding their efforts in support of NI civil power. He describes their activities as being questionably legal.

Much later, having left the services I noted that candidates from the Met Police and HM Customs for the then nascent SOCA undertook a 6 week cut and paste FRU course.

Interestingly, Dr. Bill Matchett who is a former SB officer of some 32 years standing and whom you've met, has no good words in describing FRU, regarding their efforts in support of NI civil power. He describes their activities as being questionably legal.

Much later, having left the services I noted that candidates from the Met Police and HM Customs for the then nascent SOCA undertook a 6 week cut and paste FRU course.

Had a few contacts with FRU and found them a bit hit and miss. During the briefing for one particular op I was quite certain the briefing WO was pissed.

Having said that they must have been working under extreme pressure at times.

A good read................

I read Matchett's book, possibly on your recommendation, and also noted his lack of good words for FRU. My dealings (work and social) with FRU were limited to the one Bde AO and way back in 77-78. Knowing the dangers they worked with I felt somewhat aggrieved, but in light of Matchett's work over such a long period and my limited experience, I chose to not burst into print.

From memory, FRU were supporting the Army, who were supporting the civil power.

It was all a very long time ago but I remain in awe of what FRU did.

At least it conveys something of a murky era about which not much is known. Though it would be neat if the author put out an update to explain how he put his FRu skills to use for the media during the phone hacking decible. FYI Rob Lewis aka Philip Campbell-Smith......he was outed by Ian Hurst also ex Fru aka Martin Ingram. So much smoke and mirrors it becomes more difficult to assess the credibility of the book. Hurst/ Ingram also wrote 'Stakeknife' - personally I would be more wary of 'outing' Freddy, but I believe Smith/Lewis hacked into Hurst's comms and ended up in court. Rob Lewis/Campbell-Smith is No 3 and Ian Hurst is No 1 on the pic. I shall leave No 2 for now. Pic taken at St Angelo c. Late 87 early 88.
gunmen-from-the-force-research-unit-fru-britains-notorious-death-squad-in-ireland-during-the-n...jpg

Last edited:
I think your dates are a bit out, but in truth I can't be 100%. I used to tease Phil on his being from Parachute Regiment, but having no issues with spelling.
Hey Alec,
I worked the dates from a. Events b. the car reg's and c. the car models. That said, the red head's presence would make the dates wrong or extremely interesting. I had thought that since the cars appear to be registered in different Det areas, it might have been an admin meet to set up the Angelo location following the Eniskillin bombing.....but not at all certain. If Phil's jacket is gen, it's worth a few quid these days, though how it got to a tankie I will never know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M The Intelligence Cell 17
L The Intelligence Cell 79
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 12