First World War records go online.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fuck that. The music in those days was pump anyway.

2. You could make flower bowls out of em if you warmed em up! :D

3. its expensive, over £60 a year, various packages
    14 days free option

4. Surely many WW1 service records were lost in Blitz WW2?

5. I've done that! Put them on an up-turned plant pot in a warm oven.
    Now I feel old. Thanks for that. :roll: :wink:

A lot were but what was left is now available, previously it was just up to the letter 'N' I think. I think they've also rewritten the missing ones from other records such as medal index cards and pensions records.
    It'll cost you a bomb to access them on 'Ancestry' though.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I haven't tested this yet but many Ancestry records can be accessed for free using www.ancestrylibrary.com in participating public libraries. Your local authority may or may not subscribe and some libraries in its area may not be included in the subscription. Otherwise, if you plan ahead, you can take a 14 day trial to use from home but be sure to cancel before the 14 days is up so that you don't get billed. I believe it is keyed on credit card number.

Some of the records in the National Archives contain details of height and chest size for instance and also correspondence in which the Army is stonewalling against paying out for disability etc. (if you thought that was new!). Don't know yet whether all that stuff, which is viewable on microfiche at Kew, is now online. Medal records ARE online (and have been for some time) which can at least give the most basic detail - but some people maybe did not claim, perhaps unsurprisingly just wanted to hang their boots up and forget all about it.

If you find a man has been transferred from infantry (say) to Labour Corps this may give a clue to a medical downgrade.

7. Careful though, from personal experience I know Ancestry have 'forgotten' to action the cancellation of a subscription and I'm not the only one its happened too.