first world war autobiography

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by supertravisbickle, Jun 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anybody know of a good autobiographical first world war book? I've been reading up on World War I a little bit lately but I can't seem to see things from the perspective of the actual soldiers on the battlefield very easily. cheers

2. There's trillions mate!

3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

4. ah thanks a lot, I did do a quick google search but couldn't find anything of much use, doesn't help that my internet connection seems to be a bit temperamental tonight haha

5. Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves is a good first start.
    But, as previously stated, there are many many others.

6. And from the same battalion,

'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards.

Often acclaimed as the finest WW1 book written by an other rank.

7. 'With a machine gun to Cambrai' by George Coppard

• Like Like x 1
  8. Read this for O level English Lit. Didn't enjoy it then, however have read it numerous times since. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using ARRSE app 'cause I can.

9. Carrington: Soldier From The Wars Returning, and A Subaltern's War - one is an autobiog published as thinly disguised fiction, the other came a ew decades later, when he'd had time to sort himself out a bit.

Knocks Graves and Sassoon's versions of the war into a cocked hat. If you want a poet's version, look for Edmund Blunden

I'll have to dig back through my records, 'cos I can't recall the title.

There's another book I read a few years back that covers the experience of driving the Hun back in 1918 pretty well, my memory fails me again- see above/stand by.

10. For an RFC perspective Cecil Lewis's Sagittarius Rising is outstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 'Her Privates We' by Frederic Manning. Its actually a novel but Manning served in the Great War and, to my mind, its one of the best evocations of the life of the ordinary soldier. Otherwise 'Some Desparate Glory' by Edwin Campion Vaughan is a good account from an officers perspective.

12. Here y'go:

The fateful battle line : the Great War journals and sketches of Captain Henry Ogle

Overview
    The Great War journals and sketches of Captain Henry Ogle, MC. The Fateful Battle Line deserves to take a place among the classics of the Great War. A front-line Territorial infantryman on the Western Front from 1915-1918, commissioned from the ranks in 1917, Henry Ogle preserved his sanity, observed the scenes around him with the exact eye of an artist, and wrote them down with a clarity that throws entirely fresh light on some of the War's continuing mysteries.

A bloody good read

13. General Jack's Diary. He didn't start out as a General of course. Gives an excellent insight into the trials and tribulations of an officer who served in the trenches for pretty much all his time in the war.

Geoffrey Malins book "'How I Filmed The War" too. He filmed a lot of major events in the war, in particular the mine explosion at Beaumont Hamel and his book gives an interesting account into his time leading up to the mine explosion.

14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Have a gander at the reviews page. Some excellent stuff on there. One about The Kensington regiment is good.http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/1138-kensington-st-valery-en-caux-robert-gardner.html
    Another superb book, 'The Beauty and the sorrow', may not be strictly autobiographical, but has life as seen by several people. Probably one of the defining books of the war.
    But, there are many in that thread, have a look.