First World Problems of the day!

Now this sould be in the 'US it'a bit odd thread'. Over here we don't expect to save to educate our kids, we expect the state to pay but if t won't we let them build up a load of debt instead.
Ooops a bit late with this one.
I would hate the thought of my taxes going up to pay for college for all. We would have to use the German model, and weed out the non hackers early.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nipper bought me an Amazon Echo (and one for himself, presumably a special offer). It's great. Instead of trying to remember where I left an album (did I ever get it on CD or am I looking for an LP or a cassette?), I just say,

Alexa, play album Paranoid by Black Sabbath (to differentiate it from the eponymous single track), or

Alexa, play Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 in B flat minor.

But here's the rub. Changes was written and recorded by Black Sabbath. And covered very well by Ozzy Osbourne solo. And a kitsch Christmas release by Ozzy with his daughter, Kelly. Not to mention an entirely different song by Bowie. And when I stopped reading Wikipedia, I had the feeling there were still dozens of others to disambiguate. Can I get Alexa to play Changes by Ozzy without the daughter? Nope.

It's an outrage I tell 'ee.

edit

And the bitch doesn't understand that Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave has a French title, and the French word Slave doesn't sound or mean the same as the English word Slave.

So, Alexa, you can wave your willy at me as much as you like, but you're not that fúcking clever.

Oh if only there was a meme of Brian Conley telling me "It's a computer."

Last edited:
Someone who worked at a petrol station noted that whilst those driving Fords, Vauxhalls, Peugouts and the like would invariably spend £40-50 filling up their cars, the owners of higher end cars would only put in £10-20 at a time. After a Ferrari owner came in and paid for their 10 quids worth of fuel, my friend's curiosity got the better of him and he asked the owner why they put so little fuel in.

"Obvious, innit. If it gets nicked, the fuckers won't get very far, will they?"

Someone who worked at a petrol station noted that whilst those driving Fords, Vauxhalls, Peugouts and the like would invariably spend £40-50 filling up their cars, the owners of higher end cars would only put in £10-20 at a time. After a Ferrari owner came in and paid for their 10 quids worth of fuel, my friend's curiosity got the better of him and he asked the owner why they put so little fuel in.

"Obvious, innit. If it gets nicked, the ******* won't get very far, will they?"
My mate's brother always used to put in about £10 a time.
His reasoning? If you fill the tank the car is heavier & you're using more fuel to transport the excess fuel you have.

I would hate the thought of my taxes going up to pay for college for all. We would have to use the German model, and weed out the non hackers early.
You've been slightly misled. Not all are entitled to student finance, it is means-tested.

Now this sould be in the 'US it'a bit odd thread'. Over here we don't expect to save to educate our kids, we expect the state to pay but if t won't we let them build up a load of debt instead.
Ooops a bit late with this one.
You do have to pay for college education in most of the UK now don't you? I think the system changes a few years ago?

Nipper bought me an Amazon Echo (and one for himself, presumably a special offer). It's great. Instead of trying to remember where I left an album (did I ever get it on CD or am I looking for an LP or a cassette?), I just say,

Alexa, play album Paranoid by Black Sabbath (to differentiate it from the eponymous single track), or

Alexa, play Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 in B flat minor.

But here's the rub. Changes was written and recorded by Black Sabbath. And covered very well by Ozzy Osbourne solo. And a kitsch Christmas release by Ozzy with his daughter, Kelly. Not to mention an entirely different song by Bowie. And when I stopped reading Wikipedia, I had the feeling there were still dozens of others to disambiguate. Can I get Alexa to play Changes by Ozzy without the daughter? Nope.

It's an outrage I tell 'ee.

edit

And the hitch doesn't understand that Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave has a French title, and the French word Slave doesn't or mean the as the English word Slave.

So, Alexa, you can save your willy at me as much as you like, but you're not that fúcking clever.

Oh if only there was a meme of Brian Conley telling me "It's a computet."
You do realize that you call it by other names too right?

"Obvious, innit. If it gets nicked, the ******* won't get very far, will they?"

When I were a lad I used to work at a filling station in the evenings. We had one bloke who used to turn up to have his vintage car (can't remember what make) refilled. It was one of those cars with a petrol tank strapped on the back which looked like luggage. The petrol filler tube was big enough to fit the hose and your hand in and we had to reset the pump three times to fill it up.

You do have to pay for college education in most of the UK now don't you? I think the system changes a few years ago?
Yes, around £9,500 a year, unless you are resident in Scotland attending a Scottish university.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You do realize that you call it by other names too right?

Yes. But there's nobody else in the house called Alexa except on nipper's tablet, so why would I bother?

Do you want me to unmute this and watch the video?

W21A

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A cadet at a training weekend sleeping in a twin room with her sister on hotel class beds. 'I can't sleep - this bed's too hard!'

My mate's brother always used to put in about £10 a time.
His reasoning? If you fill the tank the car is heavier & you're using more fuel to transport the excess fuel you have.
It is proven that is actually true, pointless to do because the savings are beyond minuscule, standard practice in aviation though.

It is proven that is actually true, pointless to do because the savings are beyond minuscule, standard practice in aviation though.
My sentiments exactly when I uttered the phrase "Your brother's a cock."

Mind you the old man had a jaw dropping save fuel scheme that was worse.
His advice was, when on the motorway tuck yourself in tight behind a big lorry & you'll have less wind resistance & be pulled along in the slipstream. :eek:

His advice was, when on the motorway tuck yourself in tight behind a big lorry & you'll have less wind resistance & be pulled along in the slipstream. :eek:
Drafting will work, if you have the patience. I will probably die of boredom and kill myself by dozing off.

You’re on a roll today, your old man was correct on that one as well. Getting behind a transport truck (North American) causes less aerodynamic drag , not pulled along though. It can indeed pay off if you are travelling great distances say 100’s of miles, shorter runs the savings are pointless.

Latest Threads