First woman to swim the Atlantic

A 56-year-old American athlete has become the first woman on record to swim the Atlantic. Jennifer Figge took 24 days to swim from the Cape Verde islands off Africa to Trinidad. The exact distance she covered has yet to be calculated. She swam inside a cage to protect her from sharks. Figge, who had originally planned to make landfall in the Bahamas, now plans to finish by swimming from Trinidad to the British Virgin Islands.

She first dreamed of swimming across the Atlantic Ocean as a little girl. The swimmer finally moved nearer her goal when she left Cape Verde Islands on 12 January, facing waves of up to 9m (30 ft).
Each day she would spend up to eight hours in the water at a stretch before returning to her support boat. Crew members would throw the athlete energy drinks as she swam along, if it was too stormy divers would deliver them in person. She saw pilot whales, turtles, and dolphins, but no sharks. "I was never scared," she told the Associated Press news agency. "Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can always swim in a pool."

Jennifer Figge's journey comes 10 years after a French swimmer, Benoit Lecomte, made the first known solo trans-Atlantic swim covering 6,400km (4,000 miles) in 73 days. Figge had planned to swim 3,380km (2,100 miles), but she was blown off course and reached Trinidad rather than the Bahamas.
Although this is is an extraordinary feat, especially for a woman of her age, am I the only one to immediately wonder how much this challenge cost, or indeed who paid for or subsidised it?

What I meant was that, in these times of global financial hardships, paying for something like this wouldn't have featured very high on my to-do list. :)

Utter bollox! to swim 2100 miles in 24 days (at 8hours a day) would mean she was swimming at over 10 miles per hour!!!! Best long distance swimmer can manage is about 2.7 miles per hour!

:?
skintboymike said:
A 56-year-old American athlete has become the first woman on record to swim the Atlantic. Jennifer Figge took 24 days to swim from the Cape Verde islands off Africa to Trinidad. The exact distance she covered has yet to be calculated. She swam inside a cage to protect her from sharks. Figge, who had originally planned to make landfall in the Bahamas, now plans to finish by swimming from Trinidad to the British Virgin Islands.

She first dreamed of swimming across the Atlantic Ocean as a little girl. The swimmer finally moved nearer her goal when she left Cape Verde Islands on 12 January, facing waves of up to 9m (30 ft).
Each day she would spend up to eight hours in the water at a stretch before returning to her support boat. Crew members would throw the athlete energy drinks as she swam along, if it was too stormy divers would deliver them in person. She saw pilot whales, turtles, and dolphins, but no sharks. "I was never scared," she told the Associated Press news agency. "Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can always swim in a pool."

Jennifer Figge's journey comes 10 years after a French swimmer, Benoit Lecomte, made the first known solo trans-Atlantic swim covering 6,400km (4,000 miles) in 73 days. Figge had planned to swim 3,380km (2,100 miles), but she was blown off course and reached Trinidad rather than the Bahamas.
Although this is is an extraordinary feat, especially for a woman of her age, am I the only one to immediately wonder how much this challenge cost, or indeed who paid for or subsidised it?
how in the hell can you swim carrying a cage to prevent being eaten by sharks. that on its own screams bollox

I'm dubious as well...And she's clearly a crackpot, if the image of her isn't scary enough...one of her quotes was, "I talk to the sea." And where the hell is this magical cage?

72 Year old swims Atlantic (Times Online)

Attachments

Surely to swim the Atlantic you would have to reach somewhere in Europe or Africa?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
Surely to swim the Atlantic you would have to reach somewhere in Europe or Africa?
Not if you take the shortest route between to small islands it ain't.

You're thinking that 'swimming the atlantic' means across the the widest bit. Not at all. Simply find two piers on a seafront - say, Brighton . . . . oops, well, you get the idea - swim from one to the other, and you've cracked it.

Personally, I'd get about 50 yards before getting hypothermia, blood poisoning, dysentry, aids, a heart attack, dying and then sinking ungracefully to the sludge on the sea bed.

The Tellingraph have simply misquoted her: They meant to say "First woman ever to swim IN the atlantic", but even that's wrong.

I've swum across the Atlantic on the way back from the pub. Between Seil Island and the mainland, at least. I was pissed too before anyone asks :D

If you don't get it, google "bridge across the Atlantic".

monkeyhanger768 said:
Utter bollox! to swim 2100 miles in 24 days (at 8hours a day) would mean she was swimming at over 10 miles per hour!!!! Best long distance swimmer can manage is about 2.7 miles per hour!
I can see where you're coming from, but its not quite as simple as that. Oceans are not static, and when you swim in them, you exploit the currents.
Swimming at 2kts in an 8kt current will mean you're moving at 10 kts.
Think of it in terms of flying, as regards airspeed and groundspeed.

Biped said:
I'd get about 50 yards before getting hypothermia, blood poisoning, dysentry, aids, a heart attack, dying and then sinking ungracefully to the sludge.
Typical night out in Newcastle then?

Biped said:
You're thinking that 'swimming the atlantic' means across the the widest bit. Not at all. Simply find two piers on a seafront - say, Brighton . . . . oops, well, you get the idea - swim from one to the other, and you've cracked it.
Umm.... isn't that bit usually known as the English Channel?

in_the_cheapseats said:
I've swum across the Atlantic on the way back from the pub. Between Seil Island and the mainland, at least. I was pissed too before anyone asks :D

If you don't get it, google "bridge across the Atlantic".
Concur, driven a 4 tonner over it, fcukin midge infested shithole. :evil:

Biped said:
chocolate_frog said:
Not if you take the shortest route between to small islands it ain't.

bstard :twisted:
we still have the remains of one of our piers :(
although they have no Idea how to remove the reamains :(

Latest Threads