First woman to swim the Atlantic

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by skintboymike, Feb 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although this is is an extraordinary feat, especially for a woman of her age, am I the only one to immediately wonder how much this challenge cost, or indeed who paid for or subsidised it?
  2. Sponsorship?
  3. What I meant was that, in these times of global financial hardships, paying for something like this wouldn't have featured very high on my to-do list. :)
  4. I saw her on the news she looks a bit of a loon.
  5. Spaz,that's brilliant.Took me a few minutes to work it out.(I do however have man flu at the moment)
  6. Utter bollox! to swim 2100 miles in 24 days (at 8hours a day) would mean she was swimming at over 10 miles per hour!!!! Best long distance swimmer can manage is about 2.7 miles per hour!
  7. :?
    how in the hell can you swim carrying a cage to prevent being eaten by sharks. that on its own screams bollox
  8. I'm dubious as well...And she's clearly a crackpot, if the image of her isn't scary of her quotes was, "I talk to the sea." And where the hell is this magical cage?

72 Year old swims Atlantic (Times Online)

Attached Files:

9. Surely to swim the Atlantic you would have to reach somewhere in Europe or Africa?
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Not if you take the shortest route between to small islands it ain't.

You're thinking that 'swimming the atlantic' means across the the widest bit. Not at all. Simply find two piers on a seafront - say, Brighton . . . . oops, well, you get the idea - swim from one to the other, and you've cracked it.

Personally, I'd get about 50 yards before getting hypothermia, blood poisoning, dysentry, aids, a heart attack, dying and then sinking ungracefully to the sludge on the sea bed.

The Tellingraph have simply misquoted her: They meant to say "First woman ever to swim IN the atlantic", but even that's wrong.
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I've swum across the Atlantic on the way back from the pub. Between Seil Island and the mainland, at least. I was pissed too before anyone asks :D

If you don't get it, google "bridge across the Atlantic".
  12. I can see where you're coming from, but its not quite as simple as that. Oceans are not static, and when you swim in them, you exploit the currents.
    Swimming at 2kts in an 8kt current will mean you're moving at 10 kts.
    Think of it in terms of flying, as regards airspeed and groundspeed.
  13. Typical night out in Newcastle then?
  14. Umm.... isn't that bit usually known as the English Channel?