First Visit

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crosbunny, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi new here and still trying to get grips with all the jargon, so be gentle

After waiting a couple of months to get my age exemption, 34 old man now, I'm now starting the slow process of joining my local signals. Went there last night and was given the chance to do the 6 mile 15kg march... did this without too much pain and strangle enjoyed it. They where happy that on my first visit I'd managed it. My question is about the medical, I'm around 16.5 stone 6ft and fairly fit but will this be an issue on the day. The guys at the TA centre said you've walked CFT so no shouldn't be but would like some opinions on this. Really looking froward to getting in.

cheers and thanks for the time.... it's a great site for newbies
  2. Hang on they let you do a CFT before you had had a medical?

Edit: Good effort on passing it though

3. You should not be doing any form of physical activity until after the medical . . .
  4. Imagine if the H&S Nazis found out about that, more so if you wnet over on your ankle & had to take time off work, this is somthing you'll have to get used to.
  5. Be interested to know the location of this unit . . .

PM me the location?
  6. I'd rather keep the unit to myself, it was more of an invite to try than have to and enjoyed it, sorry didn't know any different, but my question is about my weight, I hope I haven't said too much

7. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

You've already found that your weight isn't a problem for tabbing, however you'll also be tested running a distance of 1.5 miles, in PT kit. A trained soldier should be able to do this in under 10 mins 30 secs. If you can hit that time, or get reasonably close then don't worry about the weight. There's more in the wiki regarding the physical standards expected of you.

Good Luck should you decide to join!

8. Cheers JMJ. thought the "tabbing" was hard but not to tough, I can do the 1.5 run in 9:30 to 9:50 so hopefully okay press ups can do around 70 and sit-ups around 50ish so hopefully all cool, might look fat, well I am fat but it's endurance and health that matters...

thanks for the input will let you guys know how I get on and will probably be asking loads more questions
  9. If you are 16st and doing 9.30 good effort, doubt you will have a problem during the medical due to your weight seen many a big bloke get through. Just keep working at it and show up all the unfit 18 year olds that will be there and slag them about getting beaten by an old man :)

10. I second that. Im a bit bigger than you mate, it won't be an issue as long as you can do the phys. And some of the silly unfit cunts that roll off of the bus need to be seen to be believed. And don't forget that your requirements are slightly lower because you're older.

11. Less of the old :D cheers fella's was good fun and some of the regs there dropped out so feel even better about that. Just gonna work at the fitness and show those young pups how it's done