First use of containerised "smoke" as a screen?

When I was in the IDF grey smoke grenades contained Hexachloroethane and we were warned to avoid inhaling it.
In one exercise I was in on a day with still weather, the company had to cross an exposed wadi. At some point a smoke-candle (a sort of vehicle borne smoke grenade bigger than a kettle) was activated. It entirely filled the wadi with thick haze, resulting in multiple squaddies complaining of shortness of breath and endex sooner rather than later.

4(T)

LE
A video from 1923 of a curtain of "smoke" (for naval use) released from an aircraft flying by, was more poisonous and dangerous than chlorine gas. Were the poison gas clouds developed before smoke shields/screens?

IIRC even in ancient antiquity armies used to burn pitch and other substances in order to create a noxious and blinding effect on their opponents.

Later on, armies did use the incidental cover afforded by black powder smoke to manoeuvre. I suppose in those days, every battle had a smokescreen element!

Mr Brock (of firework family, and with a commission in each service) designed a variety of smoke generating packages, most notably used in the Zeebrugge raid St George's Day 1918.

Chef

LE
Right Biggles, what I want you to do is fly alongside this ship at a constant speed and height at 80mph. No, I'm sure they won't shoot.

Here you go:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was at a pyrotechnics factory last week, they have their own range for testing things that go bang and release smoke. on occasion there were little clouds of smoke drifting past the room we were in, no mention of it currently being dangerous to inhale mind.

While I was there they did claim that they are making a shermuly that flies straight.

oh and the new smoke grenade with it's spoon shaped handle was (allegedly) designed to be used as a spoon, I assume after it's been used for making smoke...

I was at a pyrotechnics factory last week, they have their own range for testing things that go bang and release smoke. on occasion there were little clouds of smoke drifting past the room we were in, no mention of it currently being dangerous to inhale mind.

While I was there they did claim that they are making a shermuly that flies straight.

oh and the new smoke grenade with it's spoon shaped handle was (allegedly) designed to be used as a spoon, I assume after it's been used for making smoke...

I like the spoon idea. It’s like using grenade rings on combat jacket rings :)

Is that to be used as a weapon?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is that to be used as a weapon?

I did ask them if they'd be just as easy to remove the parachute, apparently yes, but there will be no need to, err if you wanted to fire them directly at , err a cloud or something....

I did ask them if they'd be just as easy to remove the parachute, apparently yes, but there will be no need to, err if you wanted to fire them directly at , err a cloud or something....
That’s never been done.

Er...
We were instructed to fire the pen-flares directly at anyone who didn't back off as a warning before we used our weapons on Herrick. This was before the idea of using blank grenades came about.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
We were instructed to fire the pen-flares directly at anyone who didn't back off as a warning before we used our weapons on Herrick. This was before the idea of using blank grenades came about.

the factory is aware of mini flares being used for warning shots. The new smoke grenades are supposed to have replaced the older style, apparently the MoD keeps ordering both

.... or at a Marder and set fire to the cam on Crusader, causing the whole crew to bail...nope, never ever, no siree been done

That's a coincidence. I have never been lying in the dark during an OTC night-time deliberate attack excercise. Consequently, there wasn't anyone there to not hear the CO not tell one of his officers "I bet you can't put it that tent" (which might have served as part of the objective had this in fact been a real and not a hypothetical excercise).

Latest Threads