First two Boeing AH-64E Guardian delivered to Wattisham

Sssh the UK 'D' was a massively over priced piece of crap
There was never any issue arising from having an all D rather than C / D mix - nor did the UK specific mods produce any advantages over the basic US model.

It was all just a big rip off work generating scheme.
...didn't the bigger engines meaning they coped better in Afghanistan? And wasn't there some insistence that the UK-fit DASS was significantly better (or rather, that the original US equipment wasn't up to much)?

...didn't the bigger engines meaning they coped better in Afghanistan? And wasn't there some insistence that the UK-fit DASS was significantly better (or rather, that the original US equipment wasn't up to much)?

But But But acknowledging that means you dont get to make snide remarks viz Wastelands and British engineering and UK procurement.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

akas, being very bespoke, ie, only we fitted them, the Americans quickly upped the power of their engines, and the DASS was too expensive to update, and quickly dropped off the pace.
See Wasteland quoting double to update our existing ones vs Boeing’s brand new common baseline ones.

Now, are the British Army getting Shadow and Grey Eagle UAVs?
Doubt it, however this could be teamed with UK Reapers and Guardian.

I did watched some initial tests being conducted of Watchkeeper in W Wales. A tad under-impressed with what I saw of that.

Who knows with Taranis.

Desert Hawk, too limited range.

This was another informative vid.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
akas, being very bespoke, ie, only we fitted them, the Americans quickly upped the power of their engines, and the DASS was too expensive to update, and quickly dropped off the pace.
See Wasteland quoting double to update our existing ones vs Boeing’s brand new common baseline ones.
Oh, be quiet.

Doubt it, however this could be teamed with UK Reapers and Guardian.

I did watched some initial tests being conducted of Watchkeeper in W Wales. A tad under-impressed with what I saw of that.

Who knows with Taranis.

Desert Hawk, too limited range.

This was another informative vid.

So, no then? A capability we've bought that we can't use.

Good.

Oh, be quiet.
I hover over the Ignore button constantly as he's so depressing in a forever glass half empty fashion.
Dispensing insider knowledge gleaned from reading the Admirals desk upside down as he brings him a hot wet of an afternoon.
Also he's not even English by ****.
Ultimately I do have a chuckle about the Merch cabin boy lecturing SME's about their own subject and wonder what the motivation is.

Really? That will be why the US Army was dismounting the Longbow radar from their AH-64D in Afghanistan, in order to save weight, whereas the British Army didn't have to? Please, do explain how the US aircraft have caught up with the RTM-322. And as for "very bespoke", remind us what engines are fitted to the Merlin helicopter?

Regarding the DASS, here's the brochure for the UK fit. Now, consider that when Kuwait and Singapore ordered the AH-64D, they specified the Leonardo HIDAS and not the US standard. I wonder why? And when Boeing started rolling out the AH-64E, guess who won the contract to provide the DASS for all our AH-64E? Whose system is built into every single AH-64E, regardless of end-user? Go on, guess...

I'm reassured that you're operating at your normal level of (in)comprehension.

The update for the US-Army's AH-64 was the AH-64E; I'd suggest that fifteen years is hardly "quick". And as for your insistence that Westlands are somehow unique in their pricing structure, you might not like what the US DoD turned up:

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Really? That will be why the US Army was dismounting the Longbow radar from their AH-64D in Afghanistan, in order to save weight, whereas the British Army didn't have to? Please, do explain how the US aircraft have caught up with the RTM-322. And as for "very bespoke", remind us what engines are fitted to the Merlin helicopter?

Regarding the DASS, here's the brochure for the UK fit. Now, consider that when Kuwait and Singapore ordered the AH-64D, they specified the HIDAS and not the US standard. I wonder why? And when Boeing started rolling out the AH-64E, guess who won the contract to provide the DASS for all our AH-64E? Go on, guess...

The update for the US-Army's AH-64 was the AH-64E; I'd suggest that fifteen years is hardly "quick". And as for your insistence that Westlands are somehow unique in their pricing structure, you might not like what the US DoD turned up:

I've read a few books now either by or interviewing UK Apache pilots in depth and even I can say that the WAH-64-D was superior to the US Apache in Afghanistan.

Meerkatz will no doubt insist the Apache pilots are all wrong and talking bollocks.

Regarding the DASS, here's the brochure for the UK fit. Now, consider that when Kuwait and Singapore ordered the AH-64D, they specified the Leonardo HIDAS and not the US standard. I wonder why? And when Boeing started rolling out the AH-64E, guess who won the contract to provide the DASS for all our AH-64E? Whose system is built into every single AH-64E, regardless of end-user? Go on, guess...

American pricing for Milparts is regarded as a spectator sport by defence companies between them and the US Govt. It's regarded as acceptable practise/gaming the system to try it on see what could be got away with. I knew a former Procurement Officer in the USAF whose sole job was to go through contracts and invoices and see what was happening with expenditure. She said that she and her colleagues routinely saved the system several million dollars,per head, per month from the vast quantities of invoices. The vendor,when challenged, usually just shrugged and paid up or adjusted the invoice in the right direction. When challenged about why they put on the huge markups, the standard reply was that the invoice payment system was so slow to pay the vendor, that they jacked up the price to compensate. Not unique to the US,either.

Syledis

Old-Salt
Is it getting to the point that there is so much information for the crew, there may be a need to have a 3rd crewmember ie UAV operator onboard to share the load?

Obviously not on the Apache but a new airframe.

Whilst in Djibouti a few years ago, there was a huge poster of the Apache in the Chow Hall.

It was of an Apache head on in the hover. Top of the poster said, "BOEING APACHE". At the bottom it said "We build it beautiful because for some people it's the last thing they'll ever see!"

I quite liked that.
Reminds me of the t shirt I once saw on an American serviceman here “McDonnell Douglas F4 - The world’s greatest distributor of MIG parts”.

No anorak comments please regarding which make and model that could correctly be attributed to

Just another camera screen to look at for interesting data, it's mostly automated so they don't have to do much more than they already do, hopefully less considering the overhead they already had.