first time move over seas, please help!

Leah x

Crow
Hello,

I'm Leah and live in the uk with my fiancé (who is in the army) and our young son. He is being sent to paderborn in Germany, so for myself and our son to go with him we are getting married in June this year, it's all very daunting I was wondering if anyone in the same boat as me has any tips?

I've always been a home girl and big on family so kind of taking a leap of faith and calling it our new adventure, but still need to know the swing of things! Any help would me much appreciated,

Thanks x

Hello,

I'm Leah and live in the uk with my fiancé (who is in the army) and our young son. He is being sent to paderborn in Germany, so for myself and our son to go with him we are getting married in June this year, it's all very daunting I was wondering if anyone in the same boat as me has any tips?

I've always been a home girl and big on family so kind of taking a leap of faith and calling it our new adventure, but still need to know the swing of things! Any help would me much appreciated,

Thanks x
Try over here: RearParty - Front Page

They tend to be kinder.

IIRC Sudring offers decent shopping, the better quarters happened to be in Dahl, Jammies (sp.) Down by the bus station does the best gyros, and there is still a Regiment's worth of Tiger I panzers parked under the square at Barker.

28 years ago anyway.

Degrading sexual assault is the new craze in the Farterland, everyone is out at night fighting off sweaty Arabs, its a great night out.

Hello,

Thanks x
Take advantage of any German language courses being run at your local AEC.

Get into shopping at local German supermarkets, they're cheaper than the NAAFI. (If it exists still).

Get involved in the local culture, fundamentally. The wife did all this as a Canuck on our second posting together and we never looked back. Made good friends, expanded our horizons and had a whale of a time.

Germans are, apart from the British, the most reserved people I've ever met but get into their way of life and you'll find a deep, wry and accepting bunch of folk.

Hi Leah

You should be fine. You have the families Officer and the HIVE and the Padre if you help and support. Just see it as an adventure, you will be one of the last to enjoy what was BAOR. There will be mums groups etc and lots of people making a real effort to say hello.

There is a good NAAFI over the railway, you will understand when you get there, for UK comfort food (marmite,baby food you know etc), also plenty to see and do locally:

Wewelsburg - Startseite RASS if it still happens.

If you meet the Bde Cdr please remind him that 4 Armd Bde were the best formation in 1 Div not 20 Armd Bde. He was my CoS.

Last resort he would be all over it like a rash if you have a hard time!

Last edited:

Leah x

Crow
Thankyou everyone I really appreciate all your feedback, definitely going to get stuck in and go exploring x

Latest Threads