First Tactical Launches in UK

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'd rather stick to 5.11. greater choice and the price is better
First Tactical is owned by Dan Costa, he used to own 5.11.

Depends on your viewpoint, but 5.11 lost its way in the tactical market and became jack of all trades, master of none. The build quality on a lot of their garments significantly dropped as well - I've a pair of their Stryke cargo trousers and they're dogshit. 5.11 also went all 'fashion' on a large chunk of their range.

Yes, the FT Defender trousers are very expensive, but I wear them on a daily basis both casually and at work, and I've fragged the shit out of them and they just keep on giving. Far superior in terms of engineering and build, but yes, you do pay for it.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve still two pairs of 5.11 desert combats. Baggy, comfortable and worn smooth.

My arrse tie gets a run out on Remembrance Sunday. A town affair then beer.

5.11 is more like Millets nowadays, own brand gear and their own shop's dotted around the place here.

I was chatting to some blokes from EKO Cobra - Wikipedia and GSG-9 in march and they have moved over to UF PRO | Tactical Clothing for Professionals for their kit - they also tell me that many of the europlod-swat teams have moved over to the marque too. I prodded and poked the gear, it seems well made and thought out with the company willing to adapt to large customer needs.

The problem with anything made for the USA market by the time it gets to euro-land it is expensive. Likewise the other way around, I asked the blokes at Ufpro about importing to the USA and they told me by the time all expense were accounted for I would not be able to compete with Crye. ie. I see levi's and wranglers for sale here for around $30 and in Germany for 90 euro's - same with tacticool gear.

5.11 is more like Millets nowadays, own brand gear and their own shop's dotted around the place here.

I was chatting to some blokes from EKO Cobra - Wikipedia and GSG-9 in march and they have moved over to UF PRO | Tactical Clothing for Professionals for their kit - they also tell me that many of the europlod-swat teams have moved over to the marque too. I prodded and poked the gear, it seems well made and thought out with the company willing to adapt to large customer needs.

The problem with anything made for the USA market by the time it gets to euro-land it is expensive. Likewise the other way around, I asked the blokes at Ufpro about importing to the USA and they told me by the time all expense were accounted for I would not be able to compete with Crye. ie. I see levi's and wranglers for sale here for around $30 and in Germany for 90 euro's - same with tacticool gear.
Wranglers and Cabelas with some G Code tactical mixed in!

I en
Just in by email is the news that a company called First Tactical (www.firsttactical.co.uk) has just launched in the UK. They're owned by the former owner of 5.11 Tactical who built them up into the massive brand that they are today. It's therefore likely that First Tactical is going to be a big player on the scene.

As you can see from the PR blurb below, the business model is based around direct sales so that prices can be kept competitive by removing the middlemen such as the distributor and resellers.

New to launch in the UK and Europe for 2016 is ground-breaking technical brand, First Tactical. Revolutionising the tactical industry, First Tactical launched in the US and Asia in July 2015 and is supplying the end consumer with high quality product for both men and women at a competitive price.
First Tactical is focused on providing the end consumer with product that is specific to their requirements, guided by innovation and reliability. The design process combines both advanced technical materials with state-of-the-art components. First Tactical is built to offer fully functional gear precisely created for professionals in the military, emergency and police service.

Working with real operators from the tactical fields, First Tactical strives to fully understand customer demand through a circular development process: Listen, Engineer, Field Test and Deploy. First Tactical listens to its customers through regular product development sessions with real operators in the field. First Tactical also ensures it engineers cutting-edge product to transform common gear into incomparable tools for professionals. Through the use of Field Testing, First Tactical’s products are put under scrutiny in the most demanding conditions to ensure they withstand a variety of environments. Finally, First Tactical delivers the top-quality products straight to the consumer by eliminating the middleman, allowing a quicker and more cost effective process.
First Tactical offers a full suite of clothing and complimentary equipment for tactical professions across all fields. The First Tactical range
encompasses boots, trousers, technical shirting, outerwear, gloves, knives, flashlights, socks, packs and bags and with more categories to follow.

I've already had a sneak preview of their kit and have been using the First Tactical Tactix Backpack/Daysack since January. Its an impressive piece of kit so if their other products are similar then they'll be worth looking at.
I enjoy a tactical lunch and later a strategic withdrawal dinner

I would rather not. Over here the most tacticool dressed bloke is going to be the first to die.
Elaborate if you don't mind.

The build quality on a lot of their garments significantly dropped as well - I've a pair of their Stryke cargo trousers and they're dogshit. 5.11 also went all 'fashion' on a large chunk of their range.
I don't have anything bad to say about the stryke's quality (as in craftmenship). I have them, as well as Apex trousers and they are ok (I like the latter more though).
Neither FT or UFPro produces anything that could be worn to the pub without gathering too much interest/comments. All I need are comfy clothes that look smart yet are practical- so yes to cargo pockets but no to too big, "field" type of pants. Same with jacket- while I like the winter jacket from UFPro 300 Euros (ok, 299) is too much- I couldn't really rationalize something such expensive, especially when it's a winter jacket- so can be worn only in the winter (not to mention that these are made for a proper winter, not the British one).
While M1 jacket looks sort of ok, it's ridiculusly priced at 229 euros for a cotton jacket. bloody expensive

I, visually, like the 5 in 1 jacket from 5.11- I've seen the reviews, they look generally OK, it's pretty much all-year-around (well... maybe not in the summer heat), price is more acceptable than the others and it comes with a half-decent fleece. And it looks civvy enough yet have practical pockets and it's not crap. Does anyone have any experience with that jacket or can suggest something better (must not be in camo, but only in solid colours)?

I wanted some stealthy underwear (something with a cloaking device for skid marks) and went straight to the “pants” tab.

The page was selling trousers?

Elaborate if you don't mind.

I don't have anything bad to say about the stryke's quality (as in craftmenship). I have them, as well as Apex trousers and they are ok (I like the latter more though).
Neither FT or UFPro produces anything that could be worn to the pub without gathering too much interest/comments. All I need are comfy clothes that look smart yet are practical- so yes to cargo pockets but no to too big, "field" type of pants. Same with jacket- while I like the winter jacket from UFPro 300 Euros (ok, 299) is too much- I couldn't really rationalize something such expensive, especially when it's a winter jacket- so can be worn only in the winter (not to mention that these are made for a proper winter, not the British one).
While M1 jacket looks sort of ok, it's ridiculusly priced at 229 euros for a cotton jacket. bloody expensive

I, visually, like the 5 in 1 jacket from 5.11- I've seen the reviews, they look generally OK, it's pretty much all-year-around (well... maybe not in the summer heat), price is more acceptable than the others and it comes with a half-decent fleece. And it looks civvy enough yet have practical pockets and it's not crap. Does anyone have any experience with that jacket or can suggest something better (must not be in camo, but only in solid colours)?
Out here in Wyomingstan we are pretty heavily armed and we have a very high veteran population. Looking like a tacticool operator just confirms to most people that you are more likely armed and thus a higher priority to kill. So first impressions are very important and sticking out like that can be very negative. If you can't back up the image you could very well be fooked. Besides Wranglers and Carhartt convey a less threatening, very friendly Redneck image which does not stick out like a sore thumb.

Out here in Wyomingstan we are pretty heavily armed and we have a very high veteran population. Looking like a tacticool operator just confirms to most people that you are more likely armed and thus a higher priority to kill. So first impressions are very important and sticking out like that can be very negative. If you can't back up the image you could very well be fooked. Besides Wranglers and Carhartt convey a less threatening, very friendly Redneck image which does not stick out like a sore thumb.
Have you thought about changing the neighborhood?

F31EB982-972A-4CF9-960B-7B4040B69A2B.jpeg

I think this about sums it up.
Tacticool, because looking cool is more important than training.

Like the 300 pound guy in the mall, with his generic 1911 on his hip while wearing his operator spandex pants and 4XL shirt. He did not have a round chambered in his pistol, which means he was not even ready for a fight if it came down to it. But by God given 10 seconds and a bus for cover he would be in the fight!