First Tactical - Defender Trousers

First Tactical - Defender Trousers

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
MrBane submitted a new resource:

First Tactical - Defender Trousers - Another top notch but of kit from First Tactical, but at a price

Hihi you crazy people. Here's a look at the First Tactical Defender Trousers, designed for the harshest of scenarios.

Great kit, great build but a bloody great big price tag too at £119.95 a pair. Eek! Just as well they're very good trousers!

View attachment 319090
Please note, this replaces the previous written review.
Read more about this resource...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Stupidly over priced.
Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. They used to be a lot more expensive!

It comes down to quality of build. The Tactix I review some time ago have now worn through at the crotch and cost around £60. These which I've worn for about the same length of time are still pretty mint condition having been abused outdoors in harsher conditions.

You're paying partly for a name, certainly, but I can't deny the sheer build quality on this. It is incredibly robust, looks great and is very comfortable.

Would I pay £119 for them? Yes, having seen that they're going to last. Would I be happy with paying that? No, but at least it appears so far to buy once, buy right.

It was such a mare trying to get the review done for these I forgot to mention the price or I would've talked about it had I remembered.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, in fact, there we go. I've just bought another pair there. The most I've ever spent on a pair of trousers, and I am tighter than a prisoners sphincter when he sees the soap fall to the floor. :D

4(T)

LE
Are they sized in English inches or Chinese inches?

I.e. if I fit a Marks & Spencer 36" waist, would I need to order 36" or 40"?

Well, in fact, there we go. I've just bought another pair there. The most I've ever spent on a pair of trousers, and I am tighter than a prisoners sphincter when he sees the soap fall to the floor. :D
And you are a fellow Scotsman, we are all tight its genetic.

To the trousers. I wear mainly outdoor trousers and can pick up Wrangler outdoor trousers for under 25 quid, they work. Range wear for me is important as it needs to be robust, however at that pricepoint I can get either a pair of Crye trousers, 3 pairs of Vertx, or 5 pairs of wranglers.

Map pockets are a personal bug bear of mine so having floppy bits inside anyway is not a selling feature. If it is for an extra mag just stick another slot on the leg (like a phone slot) and call it a mag pocket. As you obeserved swamps and deserts can enter through the ventilation holes - and in sub-tropical climes you don't want local bugs getting in. And zippy pockets for knee pads may keep out the muck - until the zip breaks, velcro would be better.

The biggest reason I would not consider them is the belt loops. They have 7 which is a great plus for them, I don't even consider trousers with less than 7 loops, it is important when carrying a holstered pistol, honest. The reason is the nice loop with the rivet, it limits pistol placement on the hip being situated where it is - it needs to go forward about 2" - 3".

Not for me, nice ideas, but could have done with half an hour of extra input at the design stage.

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. They used to be a lot more expensive!

It comes down to quality of build. The Tactix I review some time ago have now worn through at the crotch and cost around £60. These which I've worn for about the same length of time are still pretty mint condition having been abused outdoors in harsher conditions.

You're paying partly for a name, certainly, but I can't deny the sheer build quality on this. It is incredibly robust, looks great and is very comfortable.

Would I pay £119 for them? Yes, having seen that they're going to last. Would I be happy with paying that? No, but at least it appears so far to buy once, buy right.

It was such a mare trying to get the review done for these I forgot to mention the price or I would've talked about it had I remembered.
How many months did they last?

I get in between 12- 18 months out of these
SFU NEXT® Pants - PolyCotton Ripstop
And @£30 (£34 some suppliers) I don't get finnecty about playing with barbed wire, chemicals etc.
The main wear and tear that kills them at the 18month point is the local dhobi that believe more heat and detergent solves everything.

30degree eco wash is for effeminate westerners apparently....

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Are they sized in English inches or Chinese inches?

I.e. if I fit a Marks & Spencer 36" waist, would I need to order 36" or 40"?
They are probably a bit generous on the measurements. A 36" should be fine if you're 36" elsewhere.

Currently working with FT for a discount for the discount shed as well, so hang tight in that.
And you are a fellow Scotsman, we are all tight its genetic.

To the trousers. I wear mainly outdoor trousers and can pick up Wrangler outdoor trousers for under 25 quid, they work. Range wear for me is important as it needs to be robust, however at that pricepoint I can get either a pair of Crye trousers, 3 pairs of Vertx, or 5 pairs of wranglers.

Map pockets are a personal bug bear of mine so having floppy bits inside anyway is not a selling feature. If it is for an extra mag just stick another slot on the leg (like a phone slot) and call it a mag pocket. As you obeserved swamps and deserts can enter through the ventilation holes - and in sub-tropical climes you don't want local bugs getting in. And zippy pockets for knee pads may keep out the muck - until the zip breaks, velcro would be better.

The biggest reason I would not consider them is the belt loops. They have 7 which is a great plus for them, I don't even consider trousers with less than 7 loops, it is important when carrying a holstered pistol, honest. The reason is the nice loop with the rivet, it limits pistol placement on the hip being situated where it is - it needs to go forward about 2" - 3".

Not for me, nice ideas, but could have done with half an hour of extra input at the design stage.
Problem I have, is I need to find trousers that are acceptable in work without looking too gung-ho. It's a tough one to balance and the Defender just meets the bill, though I'm wondering if the rear vents will get flagged up.

All very good points. You should consider sending them through though FT will be looking at this so they may action it, they've taken feedback before.

And @£30 (£34 some suppliers) I don't get finnecty about playing with barbed wire, chemicals etc.
The main wear and tear that kills them at the 18month point is the local dhobi that believe more heat and detergent solves everything.

Over 12, which is fair enough considering again, they've been worn daily, five days a week. I always turn inside out and wash at 30. More to protect the colour than anything else. Wait until you see the Kuhl review if you want to see abuse over shit trousers!

They are very good indeed. If you're happy with olive drab, the cheapest place that I found to buy them was direct from Helikon (other colours/patterns were more expensive).

Problem I have, is I need to find trousers that are acceptable in work without looking too gung-ho. It's a tough one to balance and the Defender just meets the bill, though I'm wondering if the rear vents will get flagged up.

All very good points. You should consider sending them through though FT will be looking at this so they may action it, they've taken feedback before.
Thats the same reason I wear the Wranglers. I don't like looking like an extra from a Stike Back when I am on the range..........although for some it seems to be a requirement.

I might drop them a line.

Over 12, which is fair enough considering again, they've been worn daily, five days a week. I always turn inside out and wash at 30. More to protect the colour than anything else. Wait until you see the Kuhl review if you want to see abuse over shit trousers!
Kuhl.............aaaaaggghhhh! Here's one for the Royal Brigade of Walts: They were a fashion item amongst the younger members of THEIRs for a while two or three years back. I say fashion item in the going out to the bar for a drink type of fashion as they are cheap blingy type tat with no real robust functionality for outdoor use. I sniggered when a couple of my boxheads told me that after seeing the lads in the US wearing them they went out and bought some........only to be disappointed.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thats the same reason I wear the Wranglers. I don't like looking like an extra from a Stike Back when I am on the range..........although for some it seems to be a requirement.

Kuhl.............aaaaaggghhhh! Here's one for the Royal Brigade of Walts: They were a fashion item amongst the younger members of THEIRs for a while two or three years back. I say fashion item in the going out to the bar for a drink type of fashion as they are cheap blingy type tat with no real robust functionality for outdoor use. I sniggered when a couple of my boxheads told me that after seeing the lads in the US wearing them they went out and bought some........only to be disappointed.
I've had to re-do the Kuhl review about five times.

Each time I get more abusive.

begbie

Old-Salt

Can't wait to read it, I've got a couple of pairs of Kuhl D'lux jeans and I can't fault them for dossing around and walking the dog.

Toadblerone

War Hero
Have you still got the written review available somewhere? my laptop's really slow to download vids.
if yes, ta; if not, no worries

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Rohans, not the bags,. Their fusions and the like are well cut, roomyish in the gentleman’s area. Good pockets, belt loops and a D ring thing.
Impervious to Greek kebabs and currywurst. And resistant to a curled lip when you turn up unannounced at a Parisian eating place.
Their winter stuffs good.

if you’re doing destruction derby stuff just buy the craghoppers lined combats, plain, cheap, roomy and who cares what the French think.

At one point in my inglorious post-Army career (mostly in mining, mostly in Africa) I decided to try some of the offerings from the likes of 5.11, as my Wranglers seemed to wear out after a few weeks of wait-a-bit thorns and rolling around on broken rock (or a year or so in the office after I got a 2ic or two to do that sort of nonsense for me).
The Wranglers, and HardYakka (Australian brand) were always comfortable, looked reasonably smart and manager-ish, and could be washed in a river and banged on a rock over many cycles, but the 5.11 trousers were so heavy that the crotch was at my knees by lunchtime, which was undignified. What's more, as you say, you tend to end up looking like some sort of sweaty Blackwater Operative, which is not good in many places. Back to Wranglers.

Toadblerone

War Hero
Agreed re Rohan stuff. It can look a bit weird, but it does the job. Even the 'proper business wear' items. i grow out of it rather than wearing it out :-(
I'm thinking of complaining about a ?Global Voyager shirt where one seam by the waist has gone a bit.....after 19 years and 4 times round the world (mainly non-arduous).

At one point in my inglorious post-Army career (mostly in mining, mostly in Africa) I decided to try some of the offerings from the likes of 5.11, as my Wranglers seemed to wear out after a few weeks of wait-a-bit thorns and rolling around on broken rock (or a year or so in the office after I got a 2ic or two to do that sort of nonsense for me).
The Wranglers, and HardYakka (Australian brand) were always comfortable, looked reasonably smart and manager-ish, and could be washed in a river and banged on a rock over many cycles, but the 5.11 trousers were so heavy that the crotch was at my knees by lunchtime, which was undignified. What's more, as you say, you tend to end up looking like some sort of sweaty Blackwater Operative, which is not good in many places. Back to Wranglers.
When I arrived in the US and took up shooting again the blokes on the range were all wearing 5.11 trousers. In an attempt to fit in I rushed out to the local outdoor shop and bought three pairs..........I wore one pair, over one weekend on a course and that was it. I gave them all away. They are poop.

5.11 has evolved into a fashion brand here in the US. You can find their gear in outdoor shops and for sale in their own chain of 5.11 shops. My lad uses their rucksacks for school, but I wouldn't touch one for anything seriously outdoors - they are, IMHO, like cordura shopping bags with shoulder straps.

They will not be appearing in the shed then, eh?

<cough> Fjallraven <cough> popular in certain quarters. All going to plan, maybe, possibly, depending on Dr's, and if the wind is in the right direction, I may find myself at the IWA in Nurnburg, Germany, in march. Fjallraven have a presence there and I can blag them if you would like.

Last edited: