Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Space tourist to the Moon?

Another desperate publicity stunt, or the start of a whole new opportunity for the super rich?

Someone's got a sense of humour though: the 'Big Fal'ken Rocket'!

'Billionaire Elon Musk plans to launch a “private passenger” on a space trip around the Moon. The mission will be operated by Musk’s SpaceX rocket company, but there’s no telling who will actually be on board, The Sun reports. SpaceX first announced its Moon mission back in February 2017, but details were light at the time. The rocket firm originally planned to send two private citizens on a space trip around Earth’s closest neighbour, using the company’s Big Falcon Rocket.'

Elon Musk: SpaceX sending mystery passenger to the moon

Yep it's me, the plan was to send two pax around the moon - but as my arse fits across both seats, we had to chin off Kylie Minogue.

Previous experience of having consumed British Army rat packs is what got me first past the post.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Another desperate publicity stunt, or the start of a whole new opportunity for the super rich?

well, it took the best part of sixty or seventy years for air travel to be something for everyone and not the preserve of the rich. it's going to take longer with space travel (the main reasons being there's nowhere for tourists to really go to yet and the state of current technology) but there will come a point when the needs of commerce and the ease and price of making journeys like this will reach a point where not only will space tourism become more realistic but inevitable.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Two views:

Firstly:
It's an incredible waste of the Earth's resources in terms of fuel and energy and engineering resource that would be better directed elsewhere.

Alternatively:
It's a good way of killing off a few of the vain, super-rich idiots when the inevitable accidents occur, and thus space travel will become safer.

Both views are equally valid.

I hereby volunteer Musk and Branson to take regular trips.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tropper, Bugsy and John G have already been there.

twice

PFGEN

GCM
According to the article there is enough room for two tourists. Come on George Soros, treat yourself to a trip into space!

Recently saw the happy owner of a Tesla x-wing or whatever its called demonstrating his gull wing doors to some interested friends. It was all looking good with the doors going up and down a few times until they stuck half way. Several of us waiting at the traffic lights were laughing so hard we missed the lights going to green. Given the likelihood that something would go wrong with SpaceX who would be your dream pair of super rich tourists to take a trip. I'll start off with Bonio and that other scruffy twunt that was part of the "we need to save Africa" mafia.

Tropper, Bugsy and John G have already been there.

twice
Yeah, but only Tropper & John G landed, Bugsy had to remain in orbit in the Command Module.
(Well who would you have left behind on their own whilst you went of for some lunar fun. It's a tough call.)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Are we sure that HovPot or whatever his name was isn't behind this trip?

Any how I'd chip in for Lineker to go, (one way of course) and Glen Hoddle, them two really try their dampest to spoil my viewing of football.

And then of course there is the politicians, but you couldn't build a rocket big enough for that lot!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Are we sure that HovPot or whatever his name was isn't behind this trip?

Any how I'd chip in for Lineker to go, (one way of course) and Glen Hoddle, them two really try their dampest to spoil my viewing of football.

And then of course there is the politicians, but you couldn't build a rocket big enough for that lot!

for some of them you couldn't build a big enough rocket for just one...