First Sioux to Receive Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

What a great Warrior! I find it very sad, that this award will a posthumous one!

First Sioux to Receive Medal of Honor

WASHINGTON - During the final allied offensive of the Korean War, Master Sgt. Woodrow Wilson Keeble risked his life to save his fellow Soldiers. Almost six decades after his gallant actions and 26 years after his death, Keeble will be the first full-blooded Sioux Indian to receive the Medal of Honor.

The White House announced this morning that Keeble will receive the Medal of Honor posthumously in a ceremony scheduled for 2:30 p.m. March 3.

Keeble is one of the most decorated Soldiers in North Dakota history. A veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he was born in 1917 in Waubay, S.D., on the Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Reservation, which extended into North Dakota. He spent most of his life in the Wahpeton, N.D. area, where he attended an Indian school. In 1942 Keeble joined the North Dakota National Guard, and in October that year, found himself embroiled in some of the fiercest hand-to-hand combat of World War II on Guadalcanal.

Link.:

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,162632,00.html?wh=news

2. I'm very sorry to say this and I do not think that I am a 'lone voice'; the VERY brave man was recognised by the authority at the time for what they deemed to be an appropriate award.

Anything now awarded on the back of 'Lobbyism' would smack of nothing less than 'Political Correctness', let individuals decide for themselves; finally never forget that bravery will never be forgotten amongst those who have seen it.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Letterwritingman:

Quote:

“I'm very sorry to say this and I do not think that I am a 'lone voice'; the VERY brave man was recognized by the authority at the time for what they deemed to be an appropriate award.

Anything now awarded on the back of 'Lobbyism' would smack of nothing less than 'Political Correctness', let individuals decide for themselves; finally never forget that bravery will never be forgotten amongst those who have seen it. “

Of course you are welcome to your opinion as expressed here; however, I disagree with it. I’ll try to explain why I disagree.

1.) Firstly, the upgrading of decorations and awards is a common practice by the US Armed Forces, particularly in WW II and the Korean war.

1.a) One must keep in mind that during WWII and the first part of the Korean war, the US military had segregated units, which caused racially based decisions by racists in the ranks, to be made downgrading awards to non-Caucasians awards in many cases.

There has been since, an attempt to correct this, racial discrimination, especially among Black soldiers, who fought in Europe during WWII. Some might call this ‘political correctness;’ however, most Americans to include myself, do not! We call it righting a wrong!

2.) When one reads the history of MSG Woodrow Wilson Keeble, as provided in the article one finds that records were lost and other mishandling of the awards process in his case. Yes he was awarded the DSC and other awards; however, no action was taken on the recommendation for the MOH. This of course also could have been motivated by discrimination; however, IMHO, more likely due to the mishandling of the paper work and the needed follow through.

2.a) Another common cause of such mishandling of awards, is the loss of needed documentation from witnesses, as many are killed and/or wounded before such documentation can be recorded. There is also the fact that at times, enlisted award recommendations are downgraded and officers recommendations for awards, are given a higher priority and sent forward with a higher priority.

Finally, having fought in Korea, myself and in reviewing the actions that MSG Woodrow Wilson Keeble performed, in the action he was cited for, it left no doubt in my mind, that he deserved the upgrade from the DSC to MOH for his actions there.

RIP MSG Woodrow Wilson Keeble

Just my .02 Cents!

4. For once, I'm in agreement with Trippy. Credit where credit is due. Another fantastic story is that of Tibor Rubin- really makes your toes curl. If a film was made about him, I doubt anyone would believe it.

5. If I may? I will reply point by point.

1) This is the most salient point, the action for which the decoration was awarded was judged on its merits by the recognised authorities on the criteria and expectations of the time. Heroism now and heroism 25,55, or 60 years ago is judged differently.o

Courage however remains the same, its the quantifiability that changes............oh as well as society and the political benefits!

1a) So its a 'Racial Predjudice' that denied a very brave soldier what you deem to be his just reward? Thats an assertion you need to back up; source it, provide links, quantify it or stop shouting.

2) You have been in an Army have'nt you? (joking; I respect your claim to service) paperwork does get lost, is that the same 'paperwork' that gained him the Honour it did? Ask, why a recommendation for the MoH could be displaced yet a DSC was awarded (amongst others)?

2a) I am sorry that the paperwork never made it off the battlefield. I am also sorry that I lost my lottery ticket for the Euro millions on Friday night, much as I am very sorry that a prevous unit ( used a pen picture 18 months out of date and failed to ask a particular trg establishment of my conduct despite me passing the course itself and that I was misemployed for that same 18 months aand consequently career fouled) Shit happens, try not to EBay it!

If you happen to be a 1WG Wo2 or his C/Sgt sidekick in Drummad Bks in 1998, watch out! :D

Lawyers, sometimes a wonderful thing!!

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

7. Sorry Trip you seem to have ignored/mislaid my post?

I am a little confused, you have no problem reading 'Crabs'

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Letterwritingman:

IMHO, a very poor response to my points! Are you by any chance a racist?

I still disagree with your posts! :p

9. Yes of course!! :D

Now on what basis are you basing your assertion that the VERY brave man was denied an MoH?

I think I queried your points and gave reasons.

I believe thats your line?

Ohh and one further up yours for the are you racist line.........I am English if you lived in the UK you would understand discrimination :censored:

10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I see no real settlement of this disagreement with you. So, this will be my last reply to you on this subject as I have expressed what I think of your opinion. I have no wish to turn this into another slagging match.

Yes, as I said it could have been racial discrimination, who could prove that? Are you really that naive, that you think there would be evidence of racial discrimination in these cases? If so, I have some real estate in Florida, I'd like to sell you!

No as I stated in this case, more likely poor record handling and follow through!

BTW: on your comment, I quote "Ohh and one further up yours for the are you racist line.........I am English if you lived in the UK you would understand discrimination "

Are you kidding? Have you ever watched the TV program 'Roots?' If not I suggest that you watch it, as well a little review of American history on slavery, and /or racial discrimination, etc. :roll: :wink:

BTW: Here is a history of one of those black units attached to the same 25th ID that I fought with. I was with the 27th Regiment 25th ID in Korea.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PBZ/is_5_83/ai_111573651

11. I'm so sorry Trip, I had thought your bold was an inference of some sort of'Racial Discrimination'.

Out of curiosity then; a DSC what do you think? After having read some stuff myself?

12. Any chance of a link to a site on it?

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

14. I don't see any of his fellow soldiers stepping up to say he doesn't deserve it. Good drills to the late Sgt Keeble.

Off-topic
    Roots is well worth watching. It's target audience is Americans, but it's an interesting series for anyone interested in the history of American Slavery.

15. Not totally in to American Slavery, but wouldn't mind seeing how you guys see it.

Isn't Spike Lee a little on the Affirmative action side for blacks? And tends to set whites up as the perpertrators of all things wrong?