First private pirate kill

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pacestick, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. horrah

we'll have all the private firms keeping a league of "scores" now - i wonder how the nimby's are going to police this one, surely someone is going to ask for compensation/criminal action against said private security firm..????

anyway good on em i say.
  2. Bad link I think.
  3. works for me..???
  4. Here you go

In First, Private Guards Kill Somali Pirate
    Published: March 24, 2010

PARIS — In what was said to be the first incident of its kind, private security guards aboard a merchant ship plying the pirate-infested waters off Somalia shot dead one of several attackers trying to seize the vessel, the European Naval Force in the area said on Wednesday.

The death of the pirate could escalate the struggle between pirates and merchant shipping in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, where cargo ships increasingly carry private security operatives to repel assailants.

The incident happened early on Tuesday when a Panamanian-flagged cargo ship heading for Mogadishu, the Almezaan, came under attack from pirates using high-speed skiffs controlled by a mother ship, the British-based Naval Force said in a statement on its Web site.

Twice, the pirate attacked the vessel and twice they were repulsed as a Spanish frigate, the Navarra, sped toward the scene, Cmdr. John Harbour, of Britain’s Royal Navy, the spokesman for the Naval Force, said in a telephone interview.

“Normally the private security firms fire warning shots” to repel pirates, he said. But on this occasion, “the pirates came for a second time firing their guns and the security team fired back,” he said. Asked if the killing was the first by a private security team, he said: “I believe that is the case.”

A helicopter from the Navarra located the pirates and fired warning shots while a team from the Spanish frigate went aboard the pirate boat. In one pirate skiff, which was riddled with bullets, the boarding party found three live pirates and the body of a fourth who had been hit by small arms fire, Commander Harbour said.

Six pirates were arrested and their ships were sunk. The spokesman said he did not know the nationality of the private security team members.

The European Naval Force, which is supported by the United Nations, comprises units from Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden under the command of British Rear Adm. Peter Hudson.
  5. If there were more of this, they might think twice.
  6. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

It's still a risk-based enterprise for the people running the operations.

They stand to make a huge amount of money, they have a cheap, expendable workforce on hand and that means that they can afford to lose the odd battle, even if it does dig into their profits.

I can see the pirates using higher numbers of small boats per attack, with more men per boat to make things go there way.
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hmm any chance of a civvie fit of one of these ;-)

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

CWIS TO AUTO!!!!!!!

Oooo I've come over all hot and flushed........
  9. If you go on one of the MOD sales sites there is a PMC advert fo this kind of thing, and to say this is the first time this has happend, I bet there were a lot of pirates who were simply" lost "at sea in the last ten years
  10. I'm intrigued by the concept of a high-speed skiff ;)
  11. Don't worry, it's the menopause, take some evening primrose and have a lie will pass ;-)
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

We should get an Arrse Q Ship and off we go

Ancient _Mariner could captain it (as long as he leaves the sterring wheel alone)

We could raffle "shoot a pirate day" for H4H

Some of our Gun Forum members could select some decent weapons

Trooper could regale us with tales from when he chased down the German High Seas fleet in 1916
  13. they capture pirates??

why not just throw them to the sharks ??

with a hole to help them sink ....... :twisted:
  14. While I would say that it would make them think twice, there might be another side to it. Just a few days ago Security on a spanish ship repelled boarders via use of firearms. My newspaper had a comment to the effect that it might make the pirates decide to steam in harder and take fewer prisoners. This could lead to severe escalation, and hence greater casualties.
    That said I would be happy to arm the ships and not make it worth the pirates while. I wouldn't mind a paid holiday on a ship in the sun if anyone wants to hire me.
  15. A skiff in this situation is a small boat with a flat bottom and thus is not governend by the normal rules of a displacement hull when concerned with speed( 1.34xlength-1/2) If I remember what they taught me at BKYC, so with a big outboard they can be quit nippy