First Posting.

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Hobbish, Sep 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently applying to join, and was wondering where I'm most likely to end up for my first posting. Would a first posting usually be at an MI battalion? In which case I'd probably end up in Wiltshire? Or possibly Rheindahlen?

What are the chances of getting a posting outside of a MI battalion? What sort of percentage the Int Corps would usually be working at an MI battalion?

I don't really have any preference as to where I'm posted, I was just interested as to where I might end up if/when (hopefully when) I finish training?

2. not going to leap all over you, because we know you've read the stickies before.

postings largely depend on what is available when you happen to come out of training. the majority will go to MI battalions, but there are other jobs as well. but you are under a misconception if you think that being posted to an MI battalion means ending up in wiltshire or rheindahlen. if not in germany, you could be posted anywhere from folkestone to edinburgh, brecon to colchester, and pretty much anywhere in between.

as someone who has done possibly more than his fair share of independent postings, i heartily recommend MI Bn for a first posting. personally, i would recommend asking for a security-roled MI section for my first tour. tours excepted, the level of responsibility you are given in security duties generally exceeds what you will be allowed to do in a Bde or Div int cell.

perhaps a more recent entrant can give you some indication of percentages etc.

3. Great answer, thank you.

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You never know: I've seen more than one first tour lance jack get made the 2nd Assistant Lumocolor Operator in the Bde Int Cell Stickies Det.

5. Such tolerance CR - give it a few weeks of sleepless nights! :wink:

6. Jeez they must have been real flyers then....

7. Harrumph !

2nd assistant Lumnocolour on your FIRST posting??

More like 2IC Chinagraphs until your A2:
    [​IMG] You will have them answering the phone unsupervised next...

Fetch Officer....

8. Whatever first posting the youngsters get these day, be thankful, very thankful that IDM Coy is no more (unless someone has forgotten to tell them that peace broke out).

9. Of Course all this is assuming that you get through Training.

Assume Everything and Assume Nothing !

Clousseau

10. CR,

From one time just cheeky cnut to a career guru. The rank of MOD suits you well!

11. what can i say? i had a good boss on my first tour.

you weren't bad either, i suppose. :)

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Did he encourage you to use Lumocolors? It was always my policy to give the young sprogs as much responsibility as they could handle, as early as possible. I once lent a full screw my Rotring Nato map marking stencil and a tin of Cow Gum and he went on to become Corps RSM...

13. As a first tour LCpl in 7 Int Coy on my first CPX, I was left in the Plans wagon to supervise the withdrawal of 20 Armoured Brigade over a reserve demolition crossing on the River Leine. Meanwhile the Brigade staff were dining out the Brigadier in a local gastaette. I learnt about rank having its privileges from that. :roll:

14. [quote
    As a first tour LCpl in 7 Int Coy on my first CPX, I was left in the Plans wagon to supervise the withdrawal of 20 Armoured Brigade over a reserve demolition crossing on the River Leine. Meanwhile the Brigade staff were dining out the Brigadier in a local gastaette. I learnt about rank having its privileges from that. :roll:[/quote]

Sounds like a sensibly run Bde HQ.

15. 1988 or thereabouts, Div FTX Somewhere in Germany

"14 Sigs Ops, Sgt Glad speaking, Sir"

"This is Comd 20 Armd Bde and I want to speak to the duty Ops Offr"

"Speaking, Sir"

(long pause)

"Your jammers are ruining my exercise. Switch them OFF!"

"I'll give the CO your compliments and have him call you, Sir"

Of course, it was late at night and the CO and the Ops Offr were OTP in the local Kneipe, so it was some considerable time before someone got back to Comd 20 Bde, who by that time was, I gather, hyperventilating and a worrying deep purple in aspect.