First post, probably leading to first banning...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Civiliannonwalt, Jun 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I registered tonight to ask a genuine question.

After lurking occasionally on this site for some months and being equally entertained and apalled :oops: at some of the posts, I have a question that hopefully someone will take relatively seriously.

Is serving in HM forces really as bad as it appears to be to the uninformed observer on here. And if so, why do you stay in?

Because it would seem to be an never ending list of complaints about conditions of service, equipment failures, lack of up to date kit and suprisingly, a lack of respect from your fellow citizens.

I have no agenda hidden agenda here, not a journalist or prying in any way.

I'm just a civilian who in his daily life likes to support the armed forces of his country in any way he can.

Even to the Guardianista's that he meets on a daily basis.

Feel free to slag me off, It's your forum after all and I wont be posting again.

It was a genuine question though.

2. If your not going to post again then why register ? if you have a genuine interest then do it.

If you want to just observe then do that.

If you have a friend on this planet then involve them.

Don't quote the ARRSE or you will get your Arse burn't

Suggest you go to the Naafi bar first they are always welcoming to new staff

3. Soldiers take comfort in slagging the army among themselves, but never in the presence of civillians. Unfortunately this forum allows "outsiders" to eavesdrop on us.

4. Interesting choice of username - cynical? Maybe, but I've always found that in a world of lies, spin and agenda, that the abilty to be cynical, is one of the few areas of entertainment left.

Civiliannonwalt - Suggest you look up posts by a recent member, "Caubeen" for an accurate picture of life in the forces. I think a quick review of his posts will soon answer your question.

5. i initially signed for 3 years then extended to 9..
    i did 10 years..
    H.M FORCES ----- ARMY , NAVY , AIRFORCE .

you have to be in with us to understand us..

6. Yes, all you've read is true, equipment, pay, civvies, all of it. Why do we stay in?, well, speaking personally, we do things no-one else will ever do, we form a bond with each you don't get anywhere else, I would argue that no-one does this job for money or glory but for something else, if you need it explained then you'll never know.

7. There are certain places where we can complain and certain places where we can't. One of the places where we can is amongst our brethren.

If you consider your own job, you can complain about it at any time you like. Servicemen, particularly soldiers, probably only complain the same amount as you on a daily basis, but we have to condense it into a shorter time frame. In an effort to maximise efficiency in complaining, the British soldier has developed a special flowery language and an inordinate degree of emphasis that you will, no doubt, have witnessed on ARRSE.

During the working day, we wear uniform and conform to rigid standards. In our free time, we throw off the shackles of uniformity and become individuals, expressing our individuality in healthy debate. Obviously, a debate has to have two sides, so we either take turns to be Devil's Advocate or join opposing teams on a long-term basis.

Issues like the quality of equipment are usually particularly good topics for debate. We're well aware that the kit used by the British Army is the best that the MoD can afford and that other military forces have more expensive kit (even, dare say it, better kit). But adequate kit in the hands of a British soldier will always be more effective than excellent kit in the hands of our foreign colleagues. It has been proven time and time again.

But at the back of our minds is the concern that if we were to be equipped with the Gucci equipment, we wouldn't be held in any higher regard. If you're at the top of the ladder and you take another step, you'll just fall off. It's better to stand on the top rung and complain that you'd like to go higher because this shows keenness.

So please don't go on strike in an effort to draw attention to our cause. We need the revenue from your Income Tax to maintain our ladder in a satisfactory condition.

On the other hand, the main reason why we complain is that it's a British Army tradition. It has long been known that when a soldier stops complaining, there's something worrying him. :D

8. What he said.

9. On the other hand, the main reason why we complain is that it's a British Army tradition. It has long been known that when a soldier stops complaining, there's something worrying him.

NOW THAT IS TOTALLY TRUE..

10. why do we stay in so long??

Every meal a banquet
    Every paycheck a fortune
    We have the best kit money can buy
    The Government is 100% behind the Army

ALL THE ABOVE IS BO!!OCKS!!!!!

One thing is certain, If a soldier stops moaning..then somthing is wrong.

11. Because for some people a job is a job is a job 9 - 5 turn up and go home.
    For others that is not enough, there is personal pride, pride in a country and pride in their co workers and the role that everyone carries out.

12. As far as I know, its only the Forces that have a website like this...in the armys case its ARRSE. Which is open to anyone as there are no secret pass words to log on to. That said nothing on here could ever be taken as 100 per cent genuine. If a comment is made, how do you know the person who made it is a serviceman/ex serviceman.?

Answer..you cant.

Im sure if the Police/ fire brigade had similar sites, they would moan about the job and be similiar to this.

Then again, if someone has no idea about the Forces, why would they come on here?. They wouldnt understand half of what we talk about when talking about military topics.

13. Very very true.

14. It's our Army and we're allowed to moan about it, an outsider can fcuk off, if they've never served what right have they to say anything. I live in Aldershot and loads of people slag it off who've never been here, it may be a shit hole but it's my shithole!

15. Civiliannonwalt wrote-------
    Because it would seem to be an never ending list of complaints about conditions of service, equipment failures, lack of up to date kit and suprisingly, a lack of respect from your fellow citizens.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i remember, they found a letter from a Roman Soldier on Hadrians wall, who was ticking about it being too cold, not enough kit and bad food, so nowts changed much.

And if you think that as your first post would lead to a banning, you really havent a clue