First past the post system

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cpt_Darling, Apr 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I am relativly ignorant of politics, and I am a first time voter, I have been following the election with interest.Consequently I have been keeping an eye on the polls , and something has been consistently bugging me.

Could someone please explain, how our voting system means that even if Lab get 28% of the vote,and are in third place, they are still the largest party by 20+ seats.

How does this represent the will of the voting public?It seems to me that there would have to be a terrific landslide, to have any chance of removing the incumbent party.
  2. It makes a joke of our "democracy" if when we hold an election, a greater number of people vote for someone other than Labour, and they still hold power. I think if this is the result there will be civil unrest on a grand scale until Labour are thrown out of office.

It appears that the boundaries commission may not have been doing a good job of ensuring balance amongst constituencies, I wonder why?
  3. Who cares, as long as it keeps the Tories out; they're the only ones who think it's a good idea too.

You elect one MP. If you happen to vote for one of the losing candidates in your constituency your vote isn't represented in parliament. Tories are also more popular among the self serving money grabbers cramming themselves in to the constituencies of the SE.

It hardly represents the will of the electorate if their only means of expressing it is a pencil X about every 5 years
  4. Self serving money grabbers carmming themselves into the SouthEast and voting Tory.... surely all those immigrants will be voting Labour? Its why they let them in, in the first place.
  5. My bold

Well, thats how we do it here, unlike other countries who prefer armed coup's, civil war or assassination.
  6. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Six Reasons Against a Hung Parliament

1. Policy will end up being a negotiated stitch-up by the political class in back rooms and corridors. Power will be the key at the expense of principle.

2. There will inevitably be another election within 12 months. That means more debates, more spin, more media saturation. If you're already annoyed with the amount of politics in the papers and on TV a Hung Parliament will get you even more.

3. As everything will have to be negotiated there will be time delays leading to uncertainty. The markets will not like it and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is lying or on crack.

4. As there will be another election the politicians will try to do things for tactical electoral advantage. Party politics in search of power will be put before doing what is right.

5. It's likely that full-scale change to the voting system will be on the agenda if the Lib Dems perform well in the popular vote. Get a Hung Parliament now and you may have them forever to come meaning complete loonies - that is more loony than the current crop - will start to get representatives in the Commons.

6. If you think politicians bicker already, just imagine it amplified by an order of magnitude.

* Hat tip to Dizzy Thinks Blog
  7. Labour's pretty keen on fptp too - it's the system that gave them such a large majority wuth only a minor share if the vote this last time. Personally, I like having a constituency MP - but then again I usto live in one of the last places to return a genuine local independent MP.

And loss of first-past-the-post would certainly encourage the BNP who would probably score a few seats.

Current constituency boundaries should probably be changed, to minimise the number of rottenish boroughs.

But then again, this always seems to become topical when Labour loses or thinks it will lose - but then has never actioned when it could. Sniff of desperation and shabby expediency?
  8. Hung parliament... sounds like a good idea to me...

9. Personally, I'd be in favour of a coalition government this time, certainly in preference to a situation where the government has a majority in single figures (as happened with John Major), and in an effort to keep the lunatic fringe of the party on-side, the tail wags the dog bigtime.

Don't forget, in a coalition government, both parties have to agree, which keeps the lunatic doctrinal ideas (be it from the save the gay whale or the privatise everything, God will know his own types) to a minimum as these will not be acceptable to the other party in government. Also, the smaller party will not want to rock the boat too much, as they will not want to have the expense of an election (where they might not get the same influence).

It seems to work in Scotland, it works in most other European countries (leave Italy out of it, the problems there have more to do with institutional corruption than anything else), and might be a good idea here.

However, keeping on thread, proportional representation is the way to go, as it does give a better mix of what voters want. Otherwise, why not have a dictatorship and be done with it, if a single centre of government is all that is your desire.
  10. It's not about whether first past the post is unfair. If the constituency boundries were properly managed without political bias or interference then there would not be this situation.

PR is always held as being a good thing, but it could mean in theory that a Glaswegian constituency could end up with a Tory MP and a South of England one end up with a Labour MP. If I were in one of those constituencies I would feel cheated by PR.
  11. FPTP - the only way to be enabled to run a country.
  12. And me.

The first past the post system is a complete con which only enables the Tories and Labour to remain in power. This is why they want to keep it.

With Proportional Representation (PR) every vote is made to count, so in all those seats where the Liberal Democrats come second, and there are an awful lot, they would end up getting better representation in Parliament and rightly so.

It's got to a point now under the current system where over a third of the population don't bother to vote, because unless you live in one of the swing constituencies it's a waste of time as you know who is going to win before it even happens.

That leaves an awful lot of people pissing into wind and their vote means nothing.

Of course the downside of PR is that extremist groups like the BNP will gain a few seats, but let's face it their influence will hardly scratch the surface in Parliament as none of the other parties will want to be seen courting them for support.

Black Buck One - Out
  13. It doesn't quite work like that, Oyibo

From experience at how it happens in Ireland, each constituency has a number of MP's (3 to 5), and the seats are allocated by the total number of votes. The parties usually field more than one candidate, and the seats are allocated by number of votes - if over a certain number of votes - a "quota", then you gain the seat. When voting you vote in terms of preference, and the left over votes from one candidate are transferred to another.

You need to forget the traditional 1 constituency, one candidate, one MP model that FPTP has.

For a better explanation than I can manage, try

Edited to add - yes, in can result in smaller parties getting seats as well, however, that is democracy as well - if there are enough people prepared to support the Monster Raving Loony party then they get a seat! Unfortunately, that's why the Sinners keep getting the odd TD in Ireland.
  14. BlackBuckOne:

"Of course the downside of PR is that extremist groups like the BNP will gain a few seats, but let's face it their influence will hardly scratch the surface in Parliament as none of the other parties will want to be seen courting them for support"

Under PR Governments will soon come knocking on the doors of the odious parties like the BNP when you have a government with an agenda such as the one we have at the moment. How many times did Labour use the Parliament Act? Its not necessarily the legislation they want to pass that may be the issue, its what they trade and barter for their support that counts.
  15. FPTP has been adopted around the world for its unique form of 'tactical politics'. A party is required to focus its efforts in specific areas to gain the required votes to get the seats. Thats why Labour tends to get MPs in urban areas and Conservatives in rural areas. Although its not the most proportional of systems it does help to prevent extremist parties getting seats unlike in some foreign countries....