First operational jump since Suez?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tommy, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't Peter 'Snapper' Winner and other members of B Sqn drop into the South Atlantic during Op Corporate?

SAS parachuted in to Baghdad

SAS troopers have carried out the first major combat parachute operations since Suez more than 50 years ago, it can now be disclosed.

2. Lt Col Chaundler into the Falklands to take-over from Lt Col 'H' Jones, VC.

3. I suspect there are many more operational jumps they just can't be publicised.

4. I suspect you're right - only this is a howler of a mistake to make as a journo!

Facts, sources and attribution - and this lad's messed it up on all three.

5. I know someone who jumped into Afghanistan in 2001 and is confirmed (he was with his team though)

6. Aside from that, the video on a soldiers tale is bloody good.

7. Meh.

I fully expect that 16 AA Bde deployed into theatre with a number of fully worked up plans for "getting a Lob In", and this is the first one they've executed. If anybody can come up a reason Avn wouldn't have been a better idea, pipe up.

The only possible justification I can think of would be an overriding requirement to execute an Air Assault op, but there wasn't enough Avn.

But, that's not an excuse for a parachute drop, it's a reason for buying more helicopters.

Massed parachute drops are as relevant to modern warfare as Forming Square against cavalry. The Paras are fine soldiers, but they need to concentrate on taking Air Assault forward, not harken back to past glories - it reminds me of the Cavalry's reluctance to give up horses prior to WW2.

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Slightly off topic

The original Col Blimp came about after David low heard two officers arguing over whether spurs should be worn inside tanks!!

9. Continuing off-topic, in the inter-war period while ze Germans were copying Liddell-Hart's ideas and developing Blitzkrieg, the British Army's Fodder budget expanded by 300%.

The Paras have the opportunity to develop the whole Air Assault concept, but they're wasting their time obsessing over "getting a Lob In". Other capbadges will fill the void.

10. STOP PRESS!!!

Another derailment of a thread dedicated to poor journalism into a shite Para-bashing thread? What next, you'll be telling me that we should revert to SLR.

**** OFF YOU BORING *****.

11. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

What is there to develop? You get on heli, heli lands where it likes, you run off the back. There you go air assault developed.

12. Yep - keep thinking like that. You'll go far.

13. Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I thought they got of the B.A. flight and walked into town with £20 for a taxi home?

15. Theatre break in.