First operational jump since Suez?

Didn't Peter 'Snapper' Winner and other members of B Sqn drop into the South Atlantic during Op Corporate?

SAS parachuted in to Baghdad

SAS troopers have carried out the first major combat parachute operations since Suez more than 50 years ago, it can now be disclosed.

I suspect there are many more operational jumps they just can't be publicised.

dingerr said:
I suspect there are many more operational jumps they just can't be publicised.
I suspect you're right - only this is a howler of a mistake to make as a journo!

Facts, sources and attribution - and this lad's messed it up on all three.

Meh.

I fully expect that 16 AA Bde deployed into theatre with a number of fully worked up plans for "getting a Lob In", and this is the first one they've executed. If anybody can come up a reason Avn wouldn't have been a better idea, pipe up.

The only possible justification I can think of would be an overriding requirement to execute an Air Assault op, but there wasn't enough Avn.

But, that's not an excuse for a parachute drop, it's a reason for buying more helicopters.

Massed parachute drops are as relevant to modern warfare as Forming Square against cavalry. The Paras are fine soldiers, but they need to concentrate on taking Air Assault forward, not harken back to past glories - it reminds me of the Cavalry's reluctance to give up horses prior to WW2.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Meh.

I it reminds me of the Cavalry's reluctance to give up horses prior to WW2.
Slightly off topic

The original Col Blimp came about after David low heard two officers arguing over whether spurs should be worn inside tanks!!

Continuing off-topic, in the inter-war period while ze Germans were copying Liddell-Hart's ideas and developing Blitzkrieg, the British Army's Fodder budget expanded by 300%.

The Paras have the opportunity to develop the whole Air Assault concept, but they're wasting their time obsessing over "getting a Lob In". Other capbadges will fill the void.

STOP PRESS!!!

Another derailment of a thread dedicated to poor journalism into a shite Para-bashing thread? What next, you'll be telling me that we should revert to SLR.

**** OFF YOU BORING cnuts.

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
Continuing off-topic, in the inter-war period while ze Germans were copying Liddell-Hart's ideas and developing Blitzkrieg, the British Army's Fodder budget expanded by 300%.

The Paras have the opportunity to develop the whole Air Assault concept, but they're wasting their time obsessing over "getting a Lob In". Other capbadges will fill the void.
What is there to develop? You get on heli, heli lands where it likes, you run off the back. There you go air assault developed.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't Peter 'Snapper' Winner and other members of B Sqn drop into the South Atlantic during Op Corporate?

SAS parachuted in to Baghdad

SAS troopers have carried out the first major combat parachute operations since Suez more than 50 years ago, it can now be disclosed.
I thought they got of the B.A. flight and walked into town with £20 for a taxi home?

Meh.

I fully expect that 16 AA Bde deployed into theatre with a number of fully worked up plans for "getting a Lob In", and this is the first one they've executed. If anybody can come up a reason Avn wouldn't have been a better idea, pipe up.

The only possible justification I can think of would be an overriding requirement to execute an Air Assault op, but there wasn't enough Avn.

But, that's not an excuse for a parachute drop, it's a reason for buying more helicopters.

Massed parachute drops are as relevant to modern warfare as Forming Square against cavalry. The Paras are fine soldiers, but they need to concentrate on taking Air Assault forward, not harken back to past glories - it reminds me of the Cavalry's reluctance to give up horses prior to WW2.
Theatre break in.

What a misleading thread title! I thought it would be about Tropper's sex life!

Theatre break-in my arrse! If it has a coast, you'd use RM. If an international border, tanks. If you really needed coup-de-main, you'd use Avn.

As soon as a paratrooper jumps out of an aircraft, he's a badly equipped and disorganised infantryman, with hardly any Combat Support. If you drop him too far from ground forces, he's f*#^ed, as shown by the debacle in Holland, WWII.

Do you really think Arnhem or Suez would have happened if something like Chinooks had been available?

Stop obsessing about something that has no use. You make yourselves look silly. Move on or fade into history.

Massed parachute drops are as relevant to modern warfare as Forming Square against cavalry.
Righto, but isn't the point of the story that parachuting is still a useful method of covert insertion? I don't think anyone's arguing for a Suez Mk2 or anything.

From the article: "It gives you the ability of surprise for a hard knock [assault operation] or to get to that point where you have eyes on the target without anyone having a clue that you are in there. As soon as you put a helicopter up, people know what's going on.''