First Openly Gay General in the U.S. Military

Isn't that cute?? :)

The officer, Brig. Gen. Tammy S. Smith, 49, a 26-year veteran of the Army, was promoted in a ceremony at the women’s memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. The star was affixed by Tracey Hepner, who was a co-founder last year of the Military Partners and Families Coalition, which “provides support, resources, education and advocacy for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender military partners and their families,” according to its Web site.

The couple married in March 2011 in the District of Columbia.
She's in the army reserves. Who cares, she is serving her country - that's what matters.Should get a few right wing republicans frothing at their mouths!

Smith becomes first gay general officer to serve openly - News - Stripes

Do you Brits have any gay generals who've come out of the closet in recent years?

Well as long as she's good enough for the position and hasn't been promoted just because she's a lesbian does it matter?

Reading her Army bio (not yet updated as to new rank and assignment) she holds a reserve commission but is, and has been for most if not all of her career a full time active duty reserve officer. Looking at the bio I noted a Bronze Star and Combat Action Badge.

Leadership - Smith Tammy (US Army Reserve)

Best of luck to her in her new duties.

This will be a terrible blow to moral. All those closeted Colonel's swishing about and a lady beats them to it.

She looks quiet proud standing there with her brother , I`d soon straighten her out...if I`d got two bags with me.

To go off on a tangent a bit but is it PC to refer to her as gay?

If she is a member of the LBGT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) fraternity then she must then be the first openly lesbian general?

Not up on my bender nomenclature TBH but thought it mildly interesting in a not interersting at all really sort of way as to what these perverts (sorry I meant "other oriented") define themselves as.

I wonder who will be the first openly onanist general in the United States? That would be a pretty stiff competition.

Isn't that cute?? :)

She's in the army reserves. Who cares, she is serving her country - that's what matters.Should get a few right wing republicans frothing at their mouths!

Smith becomes first gay general officer to serve openly - News - Stripes

Do you Brits have any gay generals who've come out of the closet in recent years?
Hector MacDonald shot himself in Paris after someone 'outed' him. Kitchener, allegedly, was Gay, though he drowned.
There was a general in Aden nicknamed 'Touch Me.' Rumours abounded among the Household Cavalry regarding Mountbatten's predilections - but he was a sailor and that kind of behavior was rather expected!

Reading her Army bio (not yet updated as to new rank and assignment) she holds a reserve commission but is, and has been for most if not all of her career a full time active duty reserve officer. Looking at the bio I noted a Bronze Star and Combat Action Badge.

Leadership - Smith Tammy (US Army Reserve)

Best of luck to her in her new duties.
Bronze Star Medal Without "V" for Valor device. an end of tour award to every senior NCO and Officer for 1 tour of Iraq or Afghanistan

She's commanded no combat unit.
The question is, was she promoted because its fashionable? and what has she done that put her above all the pther COL. on the promotion lists?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Given that she was not out at work perhaps she is just a very capable officer who fitted the criteria for the role that she now finds herself in.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Bronze Star Medal Without "V" for Valor device. an end of tour award to every senior NCO and Officer for 1 tour of Iraq or Afghanistan

She's commanded no combat unit.

Well she is the Quarter Master Corps. It would be interesting to know how she got her CAB though.