First Job Choice - No Vacancies

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by hollerz, Aug 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm halfway through the application process. My first and second job choices (ASP and Radar Op in RA, respectively) both say there is no vacancies on the job sheet I got. My recruiter says this is not a problem, and that there IS jobs "in the RA".

I'm worried that I'm just gonna get sent to basic and after Phase 2 just sent off to any RA regiment that needs people, regardless of job. Is this likely, or do they do their best to get you on your first job choice?

I do realize that it's still gonna be a while before I even start basic, nevermind finishing Phase 2, so there could well be vacancies pop up during them, but ASP is what I really want to do.

2. I would not worry about it as there will be a natural wastage within any trade. Also they do not strictly go 100% with manning figures so some trades are over their allocation and this helps overall Corps manning figures.

3. The worst case scenario would be joining as a trade that was not what you wanted, but still RA and then re-tradiing. Is there anothe trade that interests you?

Certainly in the Signals, it seems easy to swap trades once in phase 2. Bear in mind some of those filling the vacencies may not even make it through phase 1, or be back coursed. So a slot may open up, whilst you are in phase 1 or even prior to it.

You´d be as well starting a thread in the Arty forum, and see if anyone there can give a bit more advise. ie are there many retreads to this trade (there are to UAV trade for example) and what is the rate of turn over.

IIRC they have a very tight schedule on ops, so they could be looking for expansion.

4. They may try to push you into another job role if they can but ultimately if your firm about what you want to do and which regiment you wish to join they can't make you do something you don't want to do. Poaching and pushing is quite a common thing (They tried to get me to go to 1RTR because it's so undermanned) but they don't have the ability to "make" you go somewhere you don't wish to.

5. Thanks a lot for the advice Disco, chocolate_frog, and soldier.a. Surveillance is something that really interests me, so thats why I really want to go ASP, and the fact all gunners are infantry trained appeals to me aswell :D

I'll stop worrying anyway, haven't even got my date for selection yet lol (still waiting for a call of my recruiter with the dates)

6. No they are not mate. Who told you that?

You will receive soldier training, and perhaps depending on role of unit o trade, you may receive further training. But I wouldn´t say Infantry training.

Unless there is confusion because Gunners are used as makeshift Infantry at times.

7. It said in the job brief I got. I know they don't train as much as proper infantry but just used as makeshift infantry. That's what I meant :D

8. It says they do on the paperwork.

9. Is that why RAF Regt call their private soldiers 'gunners'?