First it was Russia tooling up, now Ireland is looking at kicking off again

Just having a read of the local rag. Apparently the continuing uncertainty over Brexit is fueling an uprising of violence in Northern Ireland.

After reading the "Where's My SLR?" thread from a few years back, I'm wondering how many ex-servicemen involved in the original would want to head back to Ireland to keep the peace (My guess would be very few if any).

Maybe I'm just hoping for the return of Auld Sapper and Stumpy Mk2

EDIT: Northern Ireland

Last edited:
Just having a read of the local rag. Apparently the continuing uncertainty over Brexit is fueling an uprising of violence in Ireland.

After reading the "Where's My SLR?" thread from a few years back, I'm wondering how many ex-servicemen involved in the original would want to head back to Ireland to keep the peace (My guess would be very few if any).

It is an interesting article. The New York Times (the article is from that paper originally) is opposed to Brexit so that explains part of the article's slant. However, Brexit is likely making all sides in NI nervous about their future and that could lead to violence. For there to be a sustained campaign of violence, militants would need the consent of a large enough part of their community to protect their activities. I don't know if that many people want to return to the pre-ceasefire days. You'd hope not. I would hope that more might be at stake, if there were to be serious violence.
That said, the republican interviewed in the article was of the view that the GFA wasn't working to the advantage of his side. That seems to be the issue, rather than the impact of Brexit itself on NI. If you are a young man, reared on the stories of this or that IRA or UVF legend, and craving status and respect, taking up arms might benefit you (or you might think it will) and there's the danger.

Sounds a blast. It might be sensible to combine a law enforcement as well as some sort of light role infantry function. Probably best go for ex-servicemen, maybe in a uniform based on police black combat trousers and cap with a camouflage smock in colours derived from the Afghan plains. Could catch on.

BigMac

Old-Salt
Sounds a blast. It might be sensible to combine a law enforcement as well as some sort of light role infantry function. Probably best go for ex-servicemen, maybe in a uniform based on police black combat trousers and cap with a camouflage smock in colours derived from the Afghan plains. Could catch on.
A revolutionary idea. Surprised it hasn't been tried before.

What's the worst that could happen?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With a fetching Sam Browne belt?

Interesting idea, maybe they could name the unit after a drink?

TamH70

MIA
You’ll be suggesting a hefty revolver as the side arm of choice, next!
Something very fetching about the old hand cannons that can drop a rhino, or charging sudanese insurgent..... On the subject, given we have a load of out of work corbynistas, maybe we could deploy them to keep the peace?

ugly

LE
A revolutionary idea. Surprised it hasn't been tried before.

What's the worst that could happen?
The best option would be to walk away from the place

What a silly idea who ever heard of a unit called the Tan & Blacks.

Just having a read of the local rag. Apparently the continuing uncertainty over Brexit is fueling an uprising of violence in Ireland.

What a load of crap!

The details of the article outline typical weekly occurrences in NI since TGFA. There has been no increase in violence or unrest due to BREXIT. In fact the low level activities of the Paramilitaries has gone uninterrupted since before TGFA. The only thing that has changed is the willingness of the national press to report it.

I think it was just last year someone on this site refused to accept that shootings were a weekly occurrence in NI solely because it wasn't all over Facebook!

Last edited:

Northern Ireland. Ireland is the bit that doesn't have Union Flags on every lamp post.