First into Action by Duncan Falconer

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by GeorgeMaciver, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my favourite books, First into Action is the story of a young Marine's adventures in the SBS, a riveting account of life in one of the world's most secretive Special Forces units. The narrative is moving, shocking and hilarious, often at the same time.

Follow Duncan through SBS Selection and then as he serves undercover in Northern Ireland with 14 Int. Meet Paddy the Rottweiler who was regularly beaten by the IRA and Henry the Sheep who loved nothing more than a beer or two in the mess with the boys, characters so real you will feel as if you know them by the time you're finished reading.

If I were to choose just 10 books from my library as my all time favourites, this would be one of them.

[​IMG]

2. Good Morning George (Duncan Falconer) MacIver :twisted: Book sales and royalties a bit low now are they :twisted: :?:

3. I was wondering if his novels were any good? I'm thinking of getting them but if they're anything like Chris Ryans novels . . .

4. it all depends if he uses the same ghost writer

5. Falconer's novels are better than Ryan's.

6. Thought they might be, thanks. I get the impression from First into Action that it isn't ghost written and I'm hoping his novels might have that same style.

7. Loved that book, read it a hundred times as a teenager. Then joined the army and went into the ETS. We can't all be in the SBS!! Sigh...

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Oddly enough, 'Falconer' is a real writer with a number of 'real' writing credits to his name alongside the military stuff. Last time I was in touch with him he was living in Hollywood and working on various TV series.

9. A bloody good read, def one of the best of the "SF themed" books on the market. An interesting personal story, made even more so by the situation in which he was able to atempt selection so soon. A gripping opening chapter too.....