First Interview

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by hunter518, Sep 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm applying to be an ammo tech, got to the stage where I'm going in for my first interview with my recruiting officer next Tuesday, he hasn't really said what to expect so I thought I'd ask here.

Couple of questions:
    1) Is it very formal?
    2) What is their main focus in the interview?
    3) What sort of knowledge base of the army do I need at this point?

2. search function is a good start
  3. i did my first interview for the infantry yesterday it was formal but i get along well with my advisor so it was also fairly relaxed, i was asked about the regiment i wanted to join and the training i would end up doing so you need to know about that, the rest was mainly about my personal life, family, friends, previous jobs, that sort of thing.
    my only advise would be to do your research and make sure you know all there is to know about the job you want to do, simple.

hope this helped and good luck

p.s i wore a shirt and tie, so i recommend you do to
  4. Welcome to the site, Hunter.

It's a job interview; you should be in a collar and tie with clean shoes - and that doesn't mean trainers!

The recruiter will be trying to find out whether you have thought about life as a soldier, what you have to offer in terms of qualifications, opinions and your ambitions.

It is formal, but will be relaxed. Be prepared to ask questions that are bothering you. It's better for both of you if you are prepared to talk rather than sit there with your brain in neutral.

Read the Army's website, read through here, and read any literature you might have already been given. You are not an expert on the Army and he will know that!

Good Luck!

5. To add on what's been said above, know your run time, press-ups and sit-ups in 2 minutes. Be relaxed!

6. for a AT job you need to pass a second selection and other test's? i have the selection on monday, i am in week 13 in pirbright, i pass out next week and i have got this selection, its like level 3 maths and some other stuff, plus more team tasks and working under pressure.
  7. I had my first interview on monday, its formal because its a job interview! :p wear a suit and smart shoes!! the interviews focus is on you, your interests, your views, your experiences. they want to know what kind of person you are, to make sure you're suitable for the army, its good to know about your job choices, its description where training takes place and what you learn (even though i wasnt asked anything about them)
    my interview was very relaxed nothing like i expected, it was really easy, you just have a conversation, its not master quiz or anything.

*edit* oh and as has been said already know your 1.5 run time and how many heaves you can do.

I was given a sheet with things to prepare for my interview my 1.5 run time, how many heaves i can do, and to learn about my job descriptions/where training takes place/how long is it/what do you learn there, however i wasnt asked anything about this guess its just for your own benefit. i was asked however about my 1.5 and heaves.
  8. Just know your run tim and job descriptions as mentioned, my recruiter also asked about how my family felt about me joining the army etc. He also asked about if I had my own room at home and if I cleaned it myself, helped out around the house and all that bollox. More of a chat than an interview but you still should know all your job breifs and wear a suit and clean shoes.