First interview this thursday!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by AFC_1992, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As it says in the title.

Just wondering what questions should I be expecting, I want to join the Paras so will I have to answer question about them, I am a bit nervous cause I don't wanna mess up and look like a mong.

Also can I have any pointers that you all can share lads.

2. **** I joined the Navy in '92****

This is roughly what my interview comprised of:

Why did I want to join?
    Any family been in? (My Grandad)
    Was I applying just because he said so?
    Did he tell me to apply?
    If he did, why?

Brothers / sisters?
    How did I get on with them?
    Shared bedroom? (my answer was yes)
    How did we share things (computer etc etc)
    Layout of my bedroom (!)
    What did I think of my teachers at school?
    Did I have lots of mates at school?
    Did I have any enemies (get into fights etc)

On reflection, I think it was geared to assess how I interacted with people and responded to authority.

Cant answer on the army one though I cant imagine it to be to disimillar.

Hope that helps.

Edit> The navy is full of people who joined up wanting to be pilots / artificers etc. I gather that Paras is sideways entry (? Is it, I'm not sure). Best not to put too much emphasis on that aspiration at the interview stage I would think (if you cant join them straight away). Could be construed as having expectations above your level.

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

1. Have a shower.
    2. Shave.
    3. Wear a suit, or if you don't own one, a collar and tie.
    4. Polish your shoes (they don't have to be bulled).
    5. Read up on current affairs.
    6. Read up on the Army and ask yourself, seriously, why you want to join.
    7. Have some knowledge about the regiment that you want to join (you don't have to be Mastermind, but complete ignorance could see you end up in the Pioneers (if they still exist in the RLC).

Remember - It's a job interview, but it is supposed to be a two way process. They want to learn about you, but you are expected to learn about them. Have some questions for them; preferably not "how much pay/leave/pussy/cokc will I get?"

4. In addition to the other bits of advice you've got, also make sure you know a lot about the Parachute Regiment, including:

- entry requirements, including the physical tests and standards at ADSC
    - regimental history
    - what the training's like and where
    - P-company and tests
    - how many battalions and where
    - what life as a new PARA soldier will be like for you
    - recent VC winners (e.g., Bryan Budd (AFG), H Jones (Falklands))

On things not to say, the arrsepedia reference to 3 PARA mortars is probably best not mentioned.

Overall, good luck.

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

BTW. There is a search facility on this site; it will enable you to find all of the answers to your recruiting procedure questions, and a shedload more besides.

6. To be honest I don't think my recruiter wouldn't care seeing as he wasn't in the Paras or the Infantry.

7. Top tip: Don't be blase! (Can't do those weird slopey things above the "e")

8. My first interview was great, the 2nd one was the more challenging interview.

Well in my experience anyway

9. Be careful. Your interviewer is a soldier: you're not. Any bigging up about how excellent the PARAs are and how you're going to be one and thus be ace is likely to not go down well. For what it's worth, check out Mike Golden in the arrsepedia as an example of how badly such bigging-self-up can go.

10. Smart turn out, polish your shoes, be polite, be honest and don't be afraid to ask questions.

As for questions, it all depends on the recruiter. You'll get the standard questions, listed above, but be prepared for fast-balls.

If you want to go Para then go for it, don't get side-lined to another job.

Good luck!

11. Basically be yourself and dont talk rubbish, if your not sure what to say just dont say anything.
    Dont big yourself up and look interested in what the recruiter is saying to you.
    As has been said before, be smart, be honest and all will go well.

Good luck :soldier:

12. I wasn't bigging the Paras up it was a joke purely on the fact that the 3 Para mortar like a bit of bum lol, anyway I wouldn't big up the Paras because its stupid but thanks for your help.

13. Sure - any time.

If it helps, I'd also make sure that you have with you a good list (perhaps 4 - 5) reasons why you should be allowed into both (1) the Army and (2) the Parachute Regiment.

14. [/quote]

Be careful. Your interviewer is a soldier: you're not. Any bigging up about how excellent the PARAs are and how you're going to be one and thus be ace is likely to not go down well. For what it's worth, check out Mike Golden in the arrsepedia as an example of how badly such bigging-self-up can go.[/quote]

I done a search for Mike Golden and that is one of the funniest thing's I've ever read, whenever I'm down I know where to turn :D

15. Ha I've just seen it aswell what a twat. Just cause he wasn't part of the maroon machine doesn't mean he has to pretend to be, If only I signed on this site at the time he was being a mong :lol: