First Flight of new Lynx

Catching up on my RSS feeds;

Now dubbed the Lynx AH9A, the aircraft has had its Rolls-Royce Gem engines replaced with Honeywell/R-R LHTEC CTS800-4Ns, already elected to equip the army's future fleet of Lynx Wildcat helicopters. The new propulsion system delivers a 37% increase in power output.

Source: Flight Global

C

cloudbuster

You might wish to retitle this thread to read "First flight of re-engined near 20-year-old* Lynx".

Just a thought.

* OK, 17 then.

Nice to see an improvement in performance but why can't Westlands get it into their heads that Lynx (as good as it is) is just too small!

timex said:
Nice to see an improvement in performance but why can't Westlands get it into their heads that Lynx (as good as it is) is just too small!
Because we keep saying we will make do with what is offered.

The Mk9A. How to make an ugly aircraft even uglier :roll:

C

cloudbuster

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
timex said:

But 37% less wheezie, Flash. Get with the programme.

TBH, it was never pretty back in '92. Still, it gave Wastelands a chance to flog a few more Whirlwind oleos............. :lol:

Jesus H Christ, what have they done. I understand the reasons for the upturned exhausts, but could they have made them look a little less like his 'n hers toilet seats!! Does anybody know what the sandfilters look like? And 37% of f**k all is still f**k all!!!!

I bet it's still got fcuking tri-wings.

Zapped said:
Jesus H Christ, what have they done. I understand the reasons for the upturned exhausts, but could they have made them look a little less like his 'n hers toilet seats!! Does anybody know what the sandfilters look like? And 37% of f**k all is still f**k all!!!!
Sand filters are integral to the system and are already fitted.

They have taken a pretty but out of date cool looking helicopter, lobbed it through a magnitic field full of gay and useless add ons and made it look laughable, gay and completely uncool.

At least the Mk 7 looked the bollox, despite being undies, this now looks gayer than a grob with bronski beat underslung

ohh the armys getting 34 of these super helicopters what will they do with such a vast number of not very big helicopters :roll:

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
timex said:

Will it perform a useful function or is it a waste of space and money?

cloudbuster said:
You might wish to retitle this thread to read "First flight of re-engined near 20-year-old* Lynx".

Just a thought.

* OK, 17 then.
Funny that,I flew in one from Lisburn,to Derry,with the GOC NI,on a show-off trip in 1978?

Thats um ?????????????????? :roll:

brighton hippy said:
ohh the armys getting 34 of these super helicopters what will they do with such a vast number of not very big helicopters :roll:
Nope. We're converting our current Mk9 fleet (21) to 9A standard and then getting Wildcat sometime in the future (2014ish). Mk9A and Wildcat are different aircraft (err, not that different though ;) ). The 9A is an interim step to at least give the old Lynx a bit of capability in theatre. What do you suggest we do with no money? Knit them? Better than fuck all imho.

jagman said:
It means we will be able to put Lynx in theatre. That on its own may not seem like a massive step but it will allow SH to do SH things instead of some of the hashed up roles they are currently doing.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
jagman said:
It means we will be able to put Lynx in theatre. That on its own may not seem like a massive step but it will allow SH to do SH things instead of some of the hashed up roles they are currently doing.
Thankyou. As I understand it that at least gives 21 more available/ servicable helicopters. That has to be an improvement even if they aren't perfect for many tasks?

The engines might be fitted but one wonders how many spares will be in the system. Using the current "just enough/ just in time/ don't bother thinking about it until it happens" system, I think we may be seeing a few Xmas trees. Or maybe we're calling them mobile FAACO's now!!

Zapped said:
The engines might be fitted but one wonders how many spares will be in the system. Using the current "just enough/ just in time/ don't bother thinking about it until it happens" system, I think we may be seeing a few Xmas trees. Or maybe we're calling them mobile FAACO's now!!
The CTS800 engines are already in use on the export Super Lynx. Apart from them being superb engines with lots of proven reliability, there is an infrastructure already in place. Whether the MoD has 'bought into this' is a different matter ;)

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
brighton hippy said:
Well cabinet ministers and generals do have to have something to move them around without bothering those nice Americans.

analworm said:
Jagman...your not a member of the British finest press are you??? Just a thought........
Hell no, I'm almost insulted :D
My exerience of helicopters is limited to sitting in the back of a few and I've only ever seen Afghanistan on the telly.
Therefor if I want to know I have to ask