First female Rock Ape

Canuck_Jock

Old-Salt
Not unlike the female Yeoman of Signals who's recently joined us. Thankfully, UK Mil hasn't gone over completely to gender-neutral naming (yet).
My factoid of the month is that the word 'man' has its roots as the Anglo-Saxon word for person.
To modify for gender required a prefix: a male was a 'waepman' and a female was a 'wifman.' So, the literal translation of, say, chairman, is chairperson.

Every day a gender neutral school day.

Congrats to Georgia on passing the 20 week gunners course at deepest darkest Suffolk and former Tonka base.

cheers

Congratulations to her and I take nothing away from her achievement........but....

The first part of her quote in the article reads:

“I am really proud and thrilled that all of us on the course graduated today. "

I have no idea what the historical pass/failure rate of the RAF Regiment course is but is it usual for everyone to pass or are standards slipping, or are people being allowed to pass because it's easier than telling someone they haven't made the grade?

Congratulations to her and I take nothing away from her achievement........but....

The first part of her quote in the article reads:

“I am really proud and thrilled that all of us on the course graduated today. "

I have no idea what the historical pass/failure rate of the RAF Regiment course is but is it usual for everyone to pass or are standards slipping, or are people being allowed to pass because it's easier than telling someone they haven't made the grade?
I don't know about the enlisted Gunners course but I do know of 2 or 3 blokes who failed the RAF Regt Officers' special to arm course (JROC) and have then gone on to carve out extremely successful careers in the Army, one of whom retiring as an OF5 in a CS arm.

Ref pass rates - don't know for Rock Apes specifically, across the RAF it depends on your branch. These are my broad recollection for officers, for my era in trg (mid-90s).

Pilot & navigator trg - usually of a batch of 8, 3 got binned; to be fair, on day 1 of ground-school the instructors explain this situation very clearly to you. In the very early 90s, as a result of Options For Change, the chop rate was far higher than that with c1-in-12 graduating from basic flying training and 2-3 in 8 from nav school. For those unlucky enough to be binned, occasionally there was the option of ORB* and re-stream to another branch.

ATC / Fighter Control - now called the Air Ops Control branch - usually about 1 in 3 will get binned. In the 80s and 90s, and @Magic_Mushroom may know more than I, the chop rate at the Fighter Control school at Boulmer was the highest in the RAF by far at c80%.

Engineers, Logs, RAFP, Pers Admin, PEdOs, Education, Flight Ops**, PQOs - 0% failure rate.

* - Officers' Reselection Board - basically, back to OASC with your trg reports from whatever FTS*** etc you were binned from, to try and re-stream into another branch. I am led to believe that at one stage in the early to mid 90s the Army had an LO at OASC to harvest talented enough young JOs who didn’t cut it in flying training.

** - Within the RAF, the Flight Ops branch has the unfortunate nickname of 'Flopsies' as they have usually - not always, but usually - been unsuccessful elsewhere.

*** - Flying Training School

Last edited:
My kiddie playground comments are there to highlight today's standard of 'equality' in HMF and on ARRSE.

Bird passes out of RAF Regt training and it generates its own thread and 4 pages of discussion.

On the same day a young Nod from Lympstone remains critical in hospital after going under whilst wading ashore in neck deep water on exercise, laden down with webbing, weapon and bergan, and how much coverage does he get?

If that Nod was female the bandwidth would never cope.
You definitely make a good point there.

Well done to the lass followed by 2 pages of absolute dog toffee comments.

There are some serious levels of special people here.
Agreed. I don't know what happened to the Arrse "rule" about not discussing serving personnel (VSOs excluded) which was hammered home by the super Mods when Harry was doing his Afghan bit but it seems anyone who makes something of themselves appears to be fair game.
This lass has worked hard, completed a fairly arduous course and passed it. It seems any female who does complete such courses (witness the flak females completing Brecon get on here) or anyone who makes something of themselves (OK, I don't think Corps RSMs are a good thing but to slag off those who do make it seems a little green-eyed monster syndrome) but should we really be discussing currently serving people in this way?

Fair game for us knackered old shits but for those serving to get bandied about like this smacks of a load of never-served tosspots trying to show how virile and macho they are.

Perhaps the bit about leaving serving personnel alone should be encouraged a bit more.

(Yeah, I know, she's being used in adverts and articles to boost up the military wiv it creds but talking about her looks and so on doesn't really bring anything to the discussion)

Hope she does well in her fledgling career.

Clearly, the RAF use the term Gunner to indicate a rifleman, whereas the Army Gunners fire something significantly bigger.
My understanding is that Gunner comes from the time when a prime task of the RAF Regiment was Low Level Air Defence of airfields, and recruits were required to train as gun numbers on the Bofors L70,
I don't know whether the RAF Regiment provided crews for the static Bloodhound surface-to-air missile but it seems logical that they would (under tight supervision, no doubt!)

Edited to ad;, Not Bloodhounds, just seen a picture of Bloodhound being rolled out by guys with 'tech' stripes.

The RAF regiment did move on to the Tigercat mobile version of the Seacat after the Bofors.

Last edited:
ATC / Fighter Control - now called the Air Ops Control branch - usually about 1 in 3 will get binned. In the 80s and 90s, and @Magic_Mushroom may know more than I, the chop rate at the Fighter Control school at Boulmer was the highest in the RAF by far at c80%.
Well let's face it. Finding someone who is enough of a fruitloop to be an ATC is a pretty big ask!

My understanding is that Gunner comes from the time when a prime task of the RAF Regiment was Low Level Air Defence of airfields, and recruits were required to train as gun numbers on the Bofors L70,
I don't know whether the RAF Regiment provided crews for the static Bloodhound surface-to-air missile but it seems logical that they would (under tight supervision, no doubt!)
I don't think Rocks were let anywhere near Bloodhounds, it was bad enough letting them loose with the Rapier - seem to remember them firing one at the South Atlantic ...........and missing!!

Buggah ended up back at Bertha's beach.

Agreed. I don't know what happened to the Arrse "rule" about not discussing serving personnel (VSOs excluded) which was hammered home by the super Mods when Harry was doing his Afghan bit but it seems anyone who makes something of themselves appears to be fair game.
This lass has worked hard, completed a fairly arduous course and passed it. It seems any female who does complete such courses (witness the flak females completing Brecon get on here) or anyone who makes something of themselves (OK, I don't think Corps RSMs are a good thing but to slag off those who do make it seems a little green-eyed monster syndrome) but should we really be discussing currently serving people in this way?

Fair game for us knackered old shits but for those serving to get bandied about like this smacks of a load of never-served tosspots trying to show how virile and macho they are.

Perhaps the bit about leaving serving personnel alone should be encouraged a bit more.

(Yeah, I know, she's being used in adverts and articles to boost up the military wiv it creds but talking about her looks and so on doesn't really bring anything to the discussion)

Hope she does well in her fledgling career.
I agree with most of that. All except the Corps RSM bit. Not one cell of my body is jealous of Corps RSMs. I wouldn’t slag them off (any more than any other RD WO), but Corps RSM is the pinnacle of a career tree that holds as much interest as a career in the Pioneer Corps (RIP) did/would for me. No green eyed monster here. Nor for the lass in the RAF Regt. She passed the course; well done to her.

B42T

LE
But not, hopefully, at the same time.
Hmmm unfortunately, having visited Wildenrath many times, it was always mongs from 21 Sigs stagging on as barrier operator under supervision of the Snowdrops(fk me how low do you have to go) and not the Gunners as they never did it there.

Sorry to piss on your chips. :wink:

arfah

LE
“Mission specific training”

Lesson one: Barrier goes up.
Lesson two: Barrier goes down.

Now for the practical lesson...

B42T

LE
I don't think Rocks were let anywhere near Bloodhounds, it was bad enough letting them loose with the Rapier - seem to remember them firing one at the South Atlantic ...........and missing!!

Buggah ended up back at Bertha's beach.
No, they had nothing to do with Bloodhound, that is a (basically) totally radar operated system.

ref your Rapier comment, wtf are you wittering on about? all missiles fired in the FI were all out of date.
Even in the Hebs where missiles where mixed, ie some out of date and some supposedly good, it was, pardon the pun, pretty hit or miss, where they would end up. Although tbf most were pretty good. And actually some optically tracked actually hit the target, both RA and RAF. Which is damned hard with the flare blocking most of your sight.
Most blokes, RA and RAF would have gone for Radar ie blindfire rounds (DN181BF) if they could have, but few were given the choice.

So stop talking shite :grin:

I don't know whether the RAF Regiment provided crews for the static Bloodhound surface-to-air missile
Bloodhound was operated by air Squadronsrather than Regiment Squadrons, some with famous numbers like 85 Squadron at West Raynham and 112 Squadron at Paramali which provided cover to the Western SBA in the late '60s early '70s...

Well let's face it. Finding someone who is enough of a fruitloop to be an ATC is a pretty big ask!
"Fruitloop" . . . ?!

Howard Wolowitz(?) WALT ;) .

Last edited:
........ref your Rapier comment, wtf are you wittering on about? all missiles fired in the FI were all out of date....................So stop talking shite :grin:
Not talking shite at all. RRS fired the missile from Bertha's Beach out into Choiseul Sound and the bloody thing turned round and returned to land thereby missing the South Atlantic - caused quite a few folks to start rapidly exiting stage right; it was a "public" viewing as the Rocks had advertised the firing and quite a few "penguins" turned up to see them do their stuff. RRS earned themselves the nickname "Rogue Rocket Squadron". Would be about May/June 1992.

I reckon the RAF chain of command have done the young girl a complete disservice and made her life considerably harder by splashing her all over the media.

The Army made a conscious decision not to do the same with the first RAC, and subsequently Infantry females. Other than a few officers going off script on social media (more about bigging themselves up) and a couple of rags picking up the story, their integration has largely been kept quiet.

Good luck to her, but I fear she will be given a rough time by some and it could all end in a much publicised and acrimonious departure from service.

Ever the optimist :)

Latest Threads