Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First female Rock Ape

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I disagree with dreadlocks however, if women are allowed long hair, why not men?
Why can't men wear a single stud in each ear, or wear natural tone make up?

Failing that, remove the rules that allow women (cis or otherwise) to have different rules to men (cis or otherwise)

anyway, the article is about the RAF, it's not like it matters
But it could permeate into the military services.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
But it could permeate into the military services.

A good point, after all homosexuality made it through

edited to add what if it gets worse and slip-on shoes with reactolites become issued?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Kefi

Old-Salt
ever Commanded or Led women, ever had women as peers, or been Led and Commanded by women? (whilst in Uniform or out of it?)

Yes, No, Yes all in a training environment. My last experience of having a female as a supervisor/line manager was between Aug to Oct, this year she was 24.

Kefi

Old-Salt
55 this year and recently entered my 38th year of continuous service.

I have lost count of the number of ‘Hell in a handcart’ moments, that were going to end civilisation as we know it, I have witnessed in my career.

I have lost count of those who joined in the 90’s and more recently the 00’s, did their 10 minutes, left, and have spent the subsequent time telling us all how it was so much better ‘back in the day’

I trained in DMS and puttees, I had 58 webbing complete with large pack, a doss bag that sat on top of it and the fabled SLR! We had equipment that was used in WW2, Clansman was replacing Larkspur and BATCO - Slidex.

The soldier of today is equipped with equipment that was only seen in sci-fi movies.

Women served in a separate Corps, being gay was illegal, pregnancy resulted in discharge, blacks were banned from the Household Division (unofficially). Arbitrary punishment/bullying was rife and if a bloke wore an ear ring outside of camp it would make a SNCO’s head explode.

Technology, Society and the armed forces now are completely different to when I joined in 1983, not better, not worse, just different. I have served globally in the last 38 years and have never been in a situation where the troops on the ground have been found wanting, unlike their political masters!

But, it’s good to whinge ^~

CAARPS, i have nothing but respect for you & listen to your comments with a great deal of interest. I'm not going over old ground but would ask you where would you draw the line in this constant quest to diversity?

When I say serve, I mean take a really good wage, act f*cking Grumpy, say no to everyone and play golf, if the weather is good enough. Such is the burden of my life ^~
Been a QM long?!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Interesting that 2.4km seems to have gone out of fashion, or is that just rounding?

If it is 2.0km then both sound laughably easy - the Army inf test is substantially easier than my "early-middle-aged-bloke" standard for the RN, which itself is generous enough that most vaguely fit people could stop for a quick wet at the half-way point.

I make it equivalent to a 12.18 mile-and-half (2.4km), without any adjustment for the ease of being a slightly shorter distance.

Its 2km because its an easier test for most people, however because it applies to male and female equally its fair.
And certainly not a drop in standards no sirree bob.

I also thought it was 11.15 for 2km (not 10.15).

Currently (due to covid) paty of the entrance tests is the bleep test where the minimum for support arms is 7.1 (And 8.7 for infantry) it used to be 10.2 for 18 to 29 year old blokes for every capbadge (possibly paras were different). Im fairly certain you dont actually start running (as opposed to fast walking/light jog) until about level 5.

Last edited:
ever Commanded or Led women, ever had women as peers, or been Led and Commanded by women? (whilst in Uniform or out of it?)

I have and by and large the women were worse than the blokes, there were certainly exceptions where women did well, but they were a rarity.

Until recently the PFT timings were based on sex, in physical mixed competitions how do you think women performed compared to men the majority of the time?

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
Im fairly certain you dont actually start running (as opposed to fast walking/light jog) until about level 5.
Technically, none of it is a walk if done according to the rules as you must run (or at least jog) the whole thing. But yes, I'd say that most medium to tall people could easily walk the first few levels.

Technically, none of it is a walk if done according to the rules as you must run (or at least jog) the whole thing. But yes, I'd say that most medium to tall people could easily walk the first few levels.

And while Im whinging how standards will not drop, no sirree bob etc, at the end of level 5 its 820 metres, in 5.14 minutes. Which is roughly what the warm up for the PFT used to be.

So basically, its the old warm up (at a different pace) plus 220 metres in about 1 minute 10 seconds.

But its equal so its fair.

Kefi

Old-Salt
I joined the RN when women had been at sea for less than 10 years, and homosexuality was illegal throughout the Forces.

I was told that the former had destroyed unit cohesion, and the latter would destroy unit cohesion.

Yet here I am, over 20 years later, and you know what, I see plenty of unit cohesion around me.

I think the RN is probably in the best position to handle a multitude of diversity in all its forms. A ship has its own way of collectivising a group of individuals into getting it from A to B whether its a man O war, merchant or pleasure yacht. The fighting bit requires nothing more than pressing buttons & watching bits of techno kit. You are conflating the world you live in with that of the units designed to close with & kill the enemy where a different set of rules apply.

Kefi

Old-Salt
It just in 20 metre increments.

From 10.2 to 7.1
Where is everyone who said standards wouldnt drop?

I have explained in detail how the RAF forced the RAF Regt to drop standards & overhall training to facilitate women. An example would be the Potential Gnr Assessment Courses (PGAC) that originally had 1 standard, it now has 12 depending on age & sex FFS. So yes where are all those who said standards will not be changed?

When i read that all on her course passed i was very surprised, on my trips to Catterick, there were aways lads on the biff, back flighted, or locked up on the average BG course.

Latest Threads