Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First female Rock Ape

And yet I'd still rather tell people my relative is serving time for kiddie fiddling than say they're in the RAF Regt.
Two for one just say there are in the intelligence corps!

Kefi

Old-Salt
During this very long & painful debate on what total inclusion & diversity means i have said from the off that the end result will not be an increase in combat effectiveness. My detractors have time & again pointed out that all's well & times change but the end result is as good today as it was back in the day. I call bull shit, & stand by every word, the slow drip, drip, drip, of diversity in all its forms is self-destructive & toxic. The one thing that makes the service life work better than it;s civilian counterpart is cohesion, uniformity & a known structure of command & control. Diversity gives way to individualism that undermines all the key parts to combat effectiveness. So here we are, its every man & woman for themselves, culture, religion, sex & any other number of individual requirements superseded unit cohesion.

RAF will allow dreadlocks, braids ponytails boost diversity service

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
During this very long & painful debate on what total inclusion & diversity means i have said from the off that the end result will not be an increase in combat effectiveness. My detractors have time & again pointed out that all's well & times change but the end result is as good today as it was back in the day. I call bull shit, & stand by every word, the slow drip, drip, drip, of diversity in all its forms is self-destructive & toxic. The one thing that makes the service life work better than it;s civilian counterpart is cohesion, uniformity & a known structure of command & control. Diversity gives way to individualism that undermines all the key parts to combat effectiveness. So here we are, its every man & woman for themselves, culture, religion, sex & any other number of individual requirements superseded unit cohesion.

I agreed with you Kefi, right from the off.
I was looking out for your comments on this and other such threads.

Don't know what this Wigston person is playing at, but it has probably more to do with his personal Service or civilian life game plan than for the good of his service, the RAF. Given the present situation I do not think the RAF will have any recruiting problems, plenty of Uni grads for the 'All Officer Force'.

Last edited:
So here we are, its every man & woman for themselves, culture, religion, sex & any other number of individual requirements superseded unit cohesion.

I joined the RN when women had been at sea for less than 10 years, and homosexuality was illegal throughout the Forces.

I was told that the former had destroyed unit cohesion, and the latter would destroy unit cohesion.

Yet here I am, over 20 years later, and you know what, I see plenty of unit cohesion around me.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I joined the RN when women had been at sea for less than 10 years, and homosexuality was illegal throughout the Forces.

I was told that the former had destroyed unit cohesion, and the latter would destroy unit cohesion.

Yet here I am, over 20 years later, and you know what, I see plenty of unit cohesion around me.
Yep, since women at sea and woodclanging has been permitted there's been plenty of cohesion.
People stick even closer together than before.

Kefi

Old-Salt

I can't deny that to a point you are right, but you will not admit or acknowledge what has been lost to get to this nirvana you speak of. And you will not admit that the quest for diversity is nowhere close to it's end goal. Our friends & enemies will look upon our once disciplined & respected service as nothing more than a freak show. The RN school documentary was ripped apart on here, from the obese female drill instructor to many other questionable recruits who were passed fit for service. Not forgetting this cluster fcuk, not exactly the best bit of unit cohesion displayed by HM RN in recent years?

oh dear.

just out of curiosity, how old are you and how long have you been retired?

Kefi

Old-Salt
oh dear.

just out of curiosity, how old are you and how long have you been retired?

60 last month, but don't let that number fool you I could still pass any of the physical tests with ease.
20 years out, with a direct link to what's going on in my former service detailing the good, bad & indifferent aspects.

60 last month, but don't let that number fool you I could still pass any of the physical tests with ease.
20 years out, with a direct link to what's going on in my former service detailing the good, bad & indifferent aspects.

ever Commanded or Led women, ever had women as peers, or been Led and Commanded by women? (whilst in Uniform or out of it?)

55 this year and recently entered my 38th year of continuous service.

I have lost count of the number of ‘Hell in a handcart’ moments, that were going to end civilisation as we know it, I have witnessed in my career.

I have lost count of those who joined in the 90’s and more recently the 00’s, did their 10 minutes, left, and have spent the subsequent time telling us all how it was so much better ‘back in the day’

I trained in DMS and puttees, I had 58 webbing complete with large pack, a doss bag that sat on top of it and the fabled SLR! We had equipment that was used in WW2, Clansman was replacing Larkspur and BATCO - Slidex.

The soldier of today is equipped with equipment that was only seen in sci-fi movies.

Women served in a separate Corps, being gay was illegal, pregnancy resulted in discharge, blacks were banned from the Household Division (unofficially). Arbitrary punishment/bullying was rife and if a bloke wore an ear ring outside of camp it would make a SNCO’s head explode.

Technology, Society and the armed forces now are completely different to when I joined in 1983, not better, not worse, just different. I have served globally in the last 38 years and have never been in a situation where the troops on the ground have been found wanting, unlike their political masters!

But, it’s good to whinge ^~

55 this year and recently entered my 38th year of continuous service.

I have lost count of the number of ‘Hell in a handcart’ moments, that were going to end civilisation as we know it, I have witnessed in my career.

I have lost count of those who joined in the 90’s and more recently the 00’s, did their 10 minutes, left, and have spent the subsequent time telling us all how it was so much better ‘back in the day’

I trained in DMS and puttees, I had 58 webbing complete with large pack, a doss bag that sat on top of it and the fabled SLR! We had equipment that was used in WW2, Clansman was replacing Larkspur and BATCO - Slidex.

The soldier of today is equipped with equipment that was only seen in sci-fi movies.

Women served in a separate Corps, being gay was illegal, pregnancy resulted in discharge, blacks were banned from the Household Division (unofficially). Arbitrary punishment/bullying was rife and if a bloke wore an ear ring outside of camp it would make a SNCO’s head explode.

Technology, Society and the armed forces now are completely different to when I joined in 1983, not better, not worse, just different. I have served globally in the last 38 years and have never been in a situation where the troops on the ground have been found wanting, unlike their political masters!

But, it’s good to whinge ^~

We never had such decrepit old cnuts serving in my day.

O Zangado

War Hero

It's official and i don't think you're going to be happy.

OZ

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I disagree with dreadlocks however, if women are allowed long hair, why not men?
Why can't men wear a single stud in each ear, or wear natural tone make up?

Failing that, remove the rules that allow women (cis or otherwise) to have different rules to men (cis or otherwise)

anyway, the article is about the RAF, it's not like it matters

Latest Threads