Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First female Rock Ape

Defence! Review, it Was never up for grabs, Puma maybe, but since its required by SF they will keep It.

If the RAF Regiment goes who provides FP for the expeditionary flights?

The Army needs to cut its cloth to what it’s logs can support, it astounds me that we have so many LI battalions yet so little heavy armour.

I have no problem being amongst the first in to secure, airfields however the warm fuzzy feeling of a CR2 providing top cover is essence.
Dont know what is going on, but some things are going to have to go to pay for Covid, Puma are listed as out of service 2025, RAF had form for withdrawing aircraft early think Belfast, Andover, Argosy, Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado. RAF Regt and RAF Pol seem to be working close on FP Wg, was there not some talk during Options for Change of RAF Security Regt like USAF set up? what if Army reverse 1941 decision and say yes we will/can protect airfields, even to save their precious cap badges? What else for the chop, close a few more RAF stations (not may left soon), Red Arrows chop, BBMF to become charity like RN Historic Flt, Air Cadets to revert to civilian youth org self funded like Sea Cadets, recent msg from CAS on trades and training, de skilling back to ACH/GD cut in training times, accommodation experiment get everyone out in private accom so no on base accommodation to be funded. I had the good times.

RAF to flog off Atlas aircraft ?

Last edited:
Dont know what is going on, but some things are going to have to go to pay for Covid, Puma are listed as out of service 2025, RAF had form for withdrawing aircraft early think Belfast, Andover, Argosy, Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado. RAF Regt and RAF Pol seem to be working close on FP Wg, was there not some talk during Options for Change of RAF Security Regt like USAF set up? what if Army reverse 1941 decision and say yes we will/can protect airfields, even to save their precious cap badges? What else for the chop, close a few more RAF stations (not may left soon), Red Arrows chop, BBMF to become charity like RN Historic Flt, Air Cadets to revert to civilian youth org self funded like Sea Cadets, recent msg from CAS on trades and training, de skilling back to ACH/GD cut in training times, accommodation experiment get everyone out in private accom so no on base accommodation to be funded. I had the good times.

The RAF will not allow FP to go out to the army, they don’t want it, DSF likes the diversity that it brings, I’ve spoken to one of the majors at SFSG and he loves our guys, make of that what you want.

The leadership in the army have clusterfucked up the last 20 years and now seem to be smelling the coffee.

The problem with that is that it would probably take us below the 2% of GDP for the Defence budget. We already cheat as it is, but like to look morally superior to the Germans and other Nato nations. If Trump is re-elected British Defence cuts would be politically unaceptable with the US. Even the Swedes have just given their Defence budget a big raise due to the renewed threat from Russia and they have a left wing government (as allways).

Kefi

Old-Salt
Basic entry standards that I could find;

Multi-stage currently used instead of 2km run for Army whilst restrictions apply which are;

Level 8.7 for the Royal Armoured Corps and Infantry
11.6 for the Parachute Regiment

Mid Thigh Pull 76kg

Medicine Ball Throw 3.1m

2km run 10m 15s

RAF reg;

2km/1.25 mile individual best effort test. Candidates are to complete this test in 9:30 minutes or under.

Medicine Ball Throw: Complete a throw of a Medicine Ball weighing 4kg, in a seated position, to a distance of 3.1m.

Static Deadlift: A Mid-Thigh Pull (static deadlift) of 95kg

So according to this the RAF Regt standard is higher than the army>

Army
2km run 10m 15s
Mid Thigh Pull 76kg

RAF Regt
2km run 9:30 minutes or under

Care to comment Bacongrills. ????

Army
2km run 10m 15s
Mid Thigh Pull 76kg

RAF Regt

As a comparison between the potential gunners course, and standard infantry assessment centre standards, it would seem so on those specific tests.

I believe the multi-stage requirement for the RAF Reg may also be slightly higher for certain ages, compared to infantry (bar Parachute Regiment) required level. However I don't know if the current Army one has seperate level requirements for men and women like the RAF Reg does.

Kefi

Old-Salt
As a comparison between the potential gunners course, and standard infantry assessment centre standards, it would seem so on those specific tests.

I believe the multi-stage requirement for the RAF Reg may also be slightly higher for certain ages, compared to infantry (bar Parachute Regiment) required level. However I don't know if the current Army one has seperate level requirements for men and women like the RAF Reg does.

Very interesting, i had no idea the Army Inf has such low standards compared with the RAF Regt.

You are correct the Regt lowered the potential Gnrs assessment courses to facilitate women joining the Corps. It went from a one cap fits all to a 10 & now 12 different levels of fitness depending on age & sex. That said the basic fitness tests once in training & thereafter are standard across the board. I can see that going forward these stands will be reviewed as more females join & where they struggle they will be changed/lowered. It would be interesting to know how many of the females currently serving in the Regt would have passed the PGAC one stage fitness assessment as it was. Things like the assault course including the 6 & 9ft wall, could be an insurmountable obstacle in its literal sense?

Very interesting, i had no idea the Army Inf has such low standards compared with the RAF Regt.

You are correct the Regt lowered the potential Gnrs assessment courses to facilitate women joining the Corps. It went from a one cap fits all to a 10 & now 12 different levels of fitness depending on age & sex. That said the basic fitness tests once in training & thereafter are standard across the board. I can see that going forward these stands will be reviewed as more females join & where they struggle they will be changed/lowered. It would be interesting to know how many of the females currently serving in the Regt would have passed the PGAC one stage fitness assessment as it was. Things like the assault course including the 6 & 9ft wall, could be an insurmountable obstacle in its literal sense?

I'd love to know the required fitness levels of a trained gunner in the RAF Reg, and if the tests are comparable to the RFTS that is in use for GCC units in the Army now

I'd love to know who's got the longest dick as this thread has descended to that level now.

Didn't some bird join the Parachute Regiment as a recruit. How is she getting on. I haven't heard anything further about her?
Heard an anecdote directly from a SNCO in the know a while ago now (maybe 18 months ago) about a female recruit who was very good but failed at P COY. Don’t know if that was the same one or not.

I'd love to know who's got the longest dick as this thread has descended to that level now.
Apologies if I added to that, I just wanted to add the info that was asked for, and having no experience of the RAF regiment, bar knowing one or two a few years ago, I was interested if they have something along the lines of the RFTS

Mattb

LE

Army
2km run 10m 15s
Mid Thigh Pull 76kg

RAF Regt

Interesting that 2.4km seems to have gone out of fashion, or is that just rounding?

If it is 2.0km then both sound laughably easy - the Army inf test is substantially easier than my "early-middle-aged-bloke" standard for the RN, which itself is generous enough that most vaguely fit people could stop for a quick wet at the half-way point.

I make it equivalent to a 12.18 mile-and-half (2.4km), without any adjustment for the ease of being a slightly shorter distance.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's not today's kids making these puerile decisions, it's a portion of today's adults who think like children.

When they can convince themselves that any idea from the left must be a good idea purely because it's from the left, then it's of utterly no concern to them with which problems the following generations may have to live.
Understood, but the kids of today need to wise up and get a grip, or accept that's their life - us lot on here are simply pointing how damaging all of this is to society. We keep telling them, but they're either not listening and/or they don't care - general behaviour across the country with covid, for example, would suggest both.

Phuqem. I had the best years of my life through the 80's & 90's when the UK was a much better place to live. I'll be dead when the chickens really come home to roost, we ain't seen anything yet.

Understood, but the kids of today need to wise up and get a grip, or accept that's their life - us lot on here are simply pointing how damaging all of this is to society. We keep telling them, but they're either not listening and/or they don't care - general behaviour across the country with covid, for example, would suggest both.

Phuqem. I had the best years of my life through the 80's & 90's when the UK was a much better place to live. I'll be dead when the chickens really come home to roost, we ain't seen anything yet.
Try the swinging 60's, in London, just as the music and fashion word decided that they wanted their own fashions, and music, my father had a shop-workshop in Carnaby street, (No 47. Phone GER 7189)) and i and my sisters were in at the start, the music, the clothes, the attitude and the buzz was immense, the very best of times to be growing up in. I witnessed, and was part of it it from the very beginning, The swinging sixties, groovy man, far out!

Last edited:
Interesting that 2.4km seems to have gone out of fashion, or is that just rounding?

If it is 2.0km then both sound laughably easy - the Army inf test is substantially easier than my "early-middle-aged-bloke" standard for the RN, which itself is generous enough that most vaguely fit people could stop for a quick wet at the half-way point.

I make it equivalent to a 12.18 mile-and-half (2.4km), without any adjustment for the ease of being a slightly shorter distance.

I couldn't agree more. I joined up in the early 90s as a fresh faced 18yo and the ITT standard for RAFC was 1 & 1/2 miles in sub 10 mins (can't remember the female standard). If you failed the entry test you couldn't commence training (rules is rules) and if you came in anywhere close to the minima then it was made very clear to you by the DS that they expect, throughout the course, better than people just scraping a pass.
I finished at Sleaford Tech able to do a mile & a half in 8 mins 15, that was an aggressively average time for my course and we were nowhere near a pack of racing snakes.

I was talking about this very topic to an Inf G3 mate in a tri-Service post years later, and his take was that at the end of a Sandhurst CC, anywhere in the 8 mins bracket would be a competitive time for the Paras.........

LOUD NOISES

Ahhh Jumpers for goalposts ^~

Why did we ever think diesel-dykes had no place in the forces?
May i introduce you to the late carpet munchers of 419Tp RCT.. A legend in their own lunch time, attached to 10 Sig Regt BLC Hounslow. renowned for their tenacity, drunkenness, and sheer debauchery in the face of enemy fire. namely us lot, the lads who manned Londis comcem, radio troop, the line mongs, and the very alley chaps of 1 AIDU (EOD) RAOC. also stationed in the camp.

Latest Threads