Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First female Rock Ape

Well, if you want to go back to my original point I asked what women can't do, not "what do you think they might struggle with", but given that you ignored that I went down a different route to make a serious point, which you of course ignored.

I'm not advocating getting rid of wall-crossing tests any more than I'm advocating introducing them - I'm simply saying that it'd be a good idea to base tests as closely as possible on the real world.

If a FIBUA ninja or two come on here and point out that individual wall-crossing was a skill that they employed all the time then fair enough, don't let anyone in to the infantry who can't do it.
It's not what I think, it's what's true. It doesn't matter why capbadge they are the majority can not get over a six foot wall unaided.
You "went down a different route" because you wanted to excuse the fact that trained soldiers cant manage a basic physical task.
It's not P coy, it's not an ultra marathon, it's not the Pen Y Fan, it's something that kids (mainly male) can manage.
You asked what females couldn't do, I answered, you then went off at a tangent.

Mattb

LE
It's not what I think, it's what's true. It doesn't matter why capbadge they are the majority can not get over a six foot wall unaided.
You "went down a different route" because you wanted to excuse the fact that trained soldiers cant manage a basic physical task.
It's not P coy, it's not an ultra marathon, it's not the Pen Y Fan, it's something that kids (mainly male) can manage.
You asked what females couldn't do, I answered, you then went off at a tangent.
OK, let's start again

My orignal point:
There are only two things that you can't really recreate in selection and training; the threat of bodily harm and death, and the requirement to kill another human being. Anything else that's regarded as necessary - including wall crossing - can be done in training. Wall crossing is not "something women can't do", even if only a few can.

The place the conversation then went to stands, as above. Tests should actually be relevant.

OK, let's start again

My orignal point:
There are only two things that you can't really recreate in selection and training; the threat of bodily harm and death, and the requirement to kill another human being. Anything else that's regarded as necessary - including wall crossing - can be done in training. Wall crossing is not "something women can't do", even if only a few can.

The place the conversation then went to stands, as above. Tests should actually be relevant.
Its seems to be something they continue to struggle on though.
Although you can't recreate the threat of death in training you can test people fear of getting hurt and their aggression by doing milling. Something tells me that the amount of women eagerly swinging their arms would be roughly the same that can manage to get over a six foot wall by themselves.

Edited to add, I wasn't saying that tests should or shouldn't be relevant merely pointing out that trained soldiers (mainly female) can't do a very basic bit of fitness.

What’s that got to do with you not being able to meet the minimum requirements to join the military?Apart from a total lack of minerals. You spineless cutter of other peoples grass.
I really am intrigued by the 'hat' thing he has going on. Is he really mocking most of the forces from a position of non-service himself?

Last edited:
I have no dog in the fight. I am sure women are doing a wonderful job in the armed forces. It doesn't bother me, I am not going to be mobilised for the next big one.

However I did notice that on a recent doco about Navy sproggs at HMS Raleigh, at the end of training they had a stretcher race. Two teams of four to each stretcher. Four guys and four gals. When they set of with the four guys on the stretcher, the men raced ahead and the women not carrying anything, couldn't keep up with the blokes on the stretcher.

If we're doing a stretcher race on a warship, something has gone very wrong.

The maximum distance to move a cas in a "combat" scenario is about 5 metres.

Another "this proves absolutely nothing" link, added merely because it made me smile - unlike the three lads on the podium with the silver and bronze medals, doomed to ridicule by their mates until the end of time (or until their mates get beaten on the mat by said gold medallist)...

I've always liked this one.

I really am intrigued by the 'hat' thing he has going on. Is he really mocking most of the forces from a position of in-service himself?
He has no experience of anything other than doing menial, minimum wage jobs, for people who did considerably better at life than him.

If we're doing a stretcher race on a warship, something has gone very wrong.

The maximum distance to move a cas in a "combat" scenario is about 5 metres.
Don't blame me. I don't decide what Jack and Jill need to do in Naval basic training. Perhaps they are getting ready for service in the new carriers. They must be more than 5 metres.

Don't blame me. I don't decide what Jack and Jill need to do in Naval basic training. Perhaps they are getting ready for service in the new carriers. They must be more than 5 metres.

Not to get them away from the scene of the fire.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Another "this proves absolutely nothing" link, added merely because it made me smile - unlike the three lads on the podium with the silver and bronze medals, doomed to ridicule by their mates until the end of time (or until their mates get beaten on the mat by said gold medallist)...

What's a Table Worker and why do they beat the ref ?

What's a Table Worker and why do they beat the ref ?

At a guess, that one was a timekeeper counting the time required by the rules to score points, and to nudge the ref to say "time's up"; the ref is watching the wrestlers, not the clock.

I've never really watched freestyle wrestling; I've only really tried and watched the pyjama-clad version, aka judo. Until I'd tried it, I didn't realise how much it was full-contact, full-strength stuff - all credit to Ms Fitch, she's got technique as well as strength.

Euclid

War Hero
Back on topic - I look forward to seeing her with her wings up and becoming a ‘Lcpl’ in the ‘Real 2 Para’. I give it 18 months, particularly as she won’t need to do P Coy., having already nailed the 5 miles of death

Back on topic - I look forward to seeing her with her wings up and becoming a ‘Lcpl’ in the ‘Real 2 Para’. I give it 18 months, particularly as she won’t need to do P Coy., having already nailed the 5 miles of death

Euclid, you have simply copied this from one of your classmates. You really must try harder, much harder.

See me after class tomorrow.

Mr Rock, Head of Year Three.

Back on topic - I look forward to seeing her with her wings up and becoming a ‘Lcpl’ in the ‘Real 2 Para’.

While it's fun to take the p!ss out of 2 Sqn's more self-deluding members...

...the Cpl that was on our Recce Comds course (Dean W) was a rather impressive bloke. Extremely capable, good humoured, happy to hang around with a bunch of STABs. Perhaps we were easily impressed, but some of the others on the course (i.e. not me) were impressive themselves; one had done an op tour with the Det, another had come second in the Welsh 1000...

Latest Threads