First female joining Royal Marines commando training

If she passes it'll be because she's a woman.
If she fails it'll be because she's a woman.
Either way, good luck to her and her big brass balls for even trying.

Here's a thought; in the 18th and 19th Centuries there are several well documented cases of women serving in the army and navy. I'm not aware of any in the marines, but maybe, just maybe, one did. Now the RM in those days had a mixture of MP and infantry roles and certainly didn't have any elite status, but she may not be the first just the first recorded. Best of luck to her regardless.
Edited to add, should have checked first Hannah Snell - Wikipedia

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Penny Seegar was in the RM free fall team when it first started in the 60’s. An ex ‘Jenny’ she was married to Ram Segeer, who at the time was an Instructor at RMA Sandhurst. I did a 3 man display into RMA with Ram and Penny.
oooo I say...
6e628683c91aac10ba6ff24505870615.jpg

Last edited:
I feel sorry for her. She'll be the focus of a lot of unnecessary media attention, unlike any further female recruits.

Say no more lol

Slightly digressing in spite of the film receivng zip and zilch backing / help from the USN, (unlike the likes of Top Gun, Navy SEALS, Executive Decision, Behind Enemy Lines etc etc). Laughingly the Florida Army National Guard did not mind aerial filming over their helicopter base when DM arrives for her first day or later on when the CO - Captain or Cmdr Salem is jogging around their AH-64A when he takes the call from the senator. This is all at Camp Blanding Airfield by NAS Mayport / Jax area.

G_I_Jane_1.JPG

G_I_Jane_3.JPG

Laughingly it was also several yeara years before filmingsince the USN retired their legacy HH-1K / UH-1E Hueys from their (HAL) Light Attack Helicopter Squadrons 3 and 4 in favor of the then Sikorsky HH-60H with reformed HCS- 4/5 in time for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. But in the movie can see the legacy UH-1 in training.

Also at the end with the battle on the Libyan coastal area, the evac helo is S-61R/CH/HH-3e Jolly Green Giant. Laughingly they were retired in early 90s...in fact then reserve 71st SOS out of Davis -Monthan flew them in combat in Desert Storm. Yep its little known fact that the original Jolly Green Giant made its final debut during GW1. They were hastily modified with FLIR and stuff aptly named Pave Pigs,

The USN did operate one CH-3E that was at Point Mugu in late 60s early 70s for drone recovery.....

Anyhow back to up and coming RM lass, is there any politician (albeit female) be it on Corbynista or Teresa's side that is bucking for more female equality in the MoD? Just curious,

Cheers

It will be the full 32 weeks RM course as opposed to the AACC adqual for attached arms (completed by 2 women previously).

They are incorrect as one snook in pretending to be a man a few hundred years ago. Anna Snell I think?
Not to mention how ever many RM bands(wo)men! Might not be commandos but still marines.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It'll be interesting to watch.

Late last year saw the first female pass the All Arms Commando Course with no retests.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
News to me. Any coverage? I only know of Pip (constant retry and admin vortex who left after completing) and a Navy Doc who I met (I'm sure she did it first time round? Was in to her tri-athlete stuff and extreme sports).

It will be the full 32 weeks RM course as opposed to the AACC adqual for attached arms (completed by 2 women previously).
One pasted. Everything she failed, she restarted at that point. One part was even done behind closed doors, assault course???

News to me. Any coverage? I only know of Pip (constant retry and admin vortex who left after completing) and a Navy Doc who I met (I'm sure she did it first time round? Was in to her tri-athlete stuff and extreme sports).
Thankfully not, she requested no media stuff. RA YO, smashed it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

They are incorrect as one snook in pretending to be a man a few hundred years ago. Anna Snell I think?
The daily mail wrong! Well colour me surprised... Anyhoo it states there's no marines and hasn't been for 350 years so she would have walted as a man walking as a marine...
A newspaper wrong? Let's hope they don't sue you for such an outrageous claim.

Latest Threads