First female joining Royal Marines commando training

If she passes the course and converts to Islam I reckon Royalgreenjacket might stroke out

I sent that to a mate of mine who was a Bootie WO2.
I can see my ribs hurting when he sees me again.
Why would he give you a dig? It's the daily mail calling him a Walty bástard.
The Walty bástard...

Best of luck to her...

Guess we should not compare with the USMC that have thousands of females both as officers ( fair few are fast jet jockeys as well as multi engine and helo Pilots ) and enlisted .......

Cheers

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
qv Hannah Snell - well known in the RN and probably the Corps.

Hannah Snell - Wikipedia

Snell borrowed a male suit from her brother-in-law James Gray, assumed his name, and began to search for Summes, who had abandoned her while she was pregnant with his child.[2] She later learned that her husband had been executed for murder. According to her account, following the death of her daughter, on 23 November 1745[3], she joined John Guise's regiment, the 6th Regiment of Foot, in the army of the Duke of Cumberland against Bonnie Prince Charlie

She deserted when her sergeant gave her 500 lashes and moved to Portsmouth and joined the Marines. She boarded the ship Swallow at Portsmouth. The ship sailed to Lisbon. Her unit was about to invade Mauritius, but the attack was called off. Her unit then sailed to India.

In August 1748, her unit was sent to an expedition to capture the French colony of Pondicherry in India. Later, she also fought in the battle in Devicottail in June 1749. She was wounded eleven times to the legs.

She was also shot in her groin and to avoid revealing her gender, she instructed a local woman to take out the bullet instead of being tended by the regimental surgeon.[4]
[5]

500 lashes was in effect a death sentence; she was out of options at that point.

If this lass passes the All Arms Cdo Course - she STILL won't be the first female Royal Marine .

Hannah got there thirty years before the demmed upstart Colonials declared Independence :)

Also she has sporting albeit competitive background of being a rower so we are not talking about , some lass whose stuffed her face late at night from local chippie or kebab shop.

For those of us who have rowed in an 8 , it’s bloody hard work hence nightly practises in ergonomenters etc ...

But like with someone on here already mentioning the naysayers from the media be itching to see her fail and blame the system ( shades of GI Jane) for their own hidden agendas.

Cheers

her sergeant gave her 500 lashes
Seems a little harsh. Possibly the Sergeant had doubts about her ability to 'keep up with the lads'.
naysayers from the media
Oh, come on. She'll be under the Mail's microscope until she passes/fails, at which point there'll be their usual 'Hooray!!!' or 'Why Was This Ever Allowed, the Beasts???'

qv Hannah Snell - well known in the RN and probably the Corps.

Hannah Snell - Wikipedia

Snell borrowed a male suit from her brother-in-law James Gray, assumed his name, and began to search for Summes, who had abandoned her while she was pregnant with his child.[2] She later learned that her husband had been executed for murder. According to her account, following the death of her daughter, on 23 November 1745[3], she joined John Guise's regiment, the 6th Regiment of Foot, in the army of the Duke of Cumberland against Bonnie Prince Charlie

She deserted when her sergeant gave her 500 lashes and moved to Portsmouth and joined the Marines. She boarded the ship Swallow at Portsmouth. The ship sailed to Lisbon. Her unit was about to invade Mauritius, but the attack was called off. Her unit then sailed to India.

In August 1748, her unit was sent to an expedition to capture the French colony of Pondicherry in India. Later, she also fought in the battle in Devicottail in June 1749. She was wounded eleven times to the legs.

She was also shot in her groin and to avoid revealing her gender, she instructed a local woman to take out the bullet instead of being tended by the regimental surgeon.[4][5]

500 lashes was in effect a death sentence; she was out of options at that point.

If this lass passes the All Arms Cdo Course - she STILL won't be the first female Royal Marine .

Hannah got there thirty years before the demmed upstart Colonials declared Independence :)
500 lashes? I'll take them 150 at a time:

705049-2.png

Although their free fall team were very unkind about taking on their first female skydiver (RN, she was) back in them there 1980s
Penny Seegar was in the RM free fall team when it first started in the 60’s. An ex ‘Jenny’ she was married to Ram Segeer, who at the time was an Instructor at RMA Sandhurst. I did a 3 man display into RMA with Ram and Penny.

Latest Threads