First Female "Beefeater"

#1
Cue fnarr style jokes about lesbianism, but The Scum today is reporting that the first female Yeoman Warder is starting work later in the year. I wonder who she is. One of the Yeomen Warders was my Troop Sgt in training. Makes me feel very old....

http://tinyurl.com/y9urd4
 
#2
The Scum said:
The successful candidate is currently serving in HM Forces and will join her new colleagues in the Yeoman Body at the Tower of London in summer 2007

What happened to the two year waiting list? And what's it on about - only 6 applicants? There's always been lots of competition for a position at the Tower. Oh, the Sun wrote it. It must be true then.

If true it's a shame. Destroying the image and traditions of over 500 years of history.
 
#3
PiperWill said:
The Scum said:
The successful candidate is currently serving in HM Forces and will join her new colleagues in the Yeoman Body at the Tower of London in summer 2007

What happened to the two year waiting list? And what's it on about - only 6 applicants? There's always been lots of competition for a position at the Tower. Oh, the Sun wrote it. It must be true then.

If true it's a shame. Destroying the image and traditions of over 500 years of history.
Why not a woman? They are allowed to serve everywhere else in the forces less inf and cav and certainly can be said to be participating on the front line.

As to bodyguard status. If the status is for real (which it isn't really - Queeny gets her own cop CP anyway), being a female guard to a female queen may be advantageous in some circumstances, would you not say?
Frankly, if she was good enough to be picked, good on her.

BBC link here
 
#5
Can't see why she shouldn't do just as good a job as the men. After all most of the job is having your photot taken and being a tour guide - hardly needs to be male only. I don't believe that the recruiting pool has ever been restricted to those that served in the frontline.

Good luck to her.
 
#6
I was about to say she'd look better in tights than some of the bewhiskered lads who currently do the job, but having seen the legs on the majority of female soldiers they may look like 2 boiled hams ...



Lets face it, call it historical if you like, but its about the queggiest outfit in Western Europe.... apart from the Greeks... but they're all confirmed homs anyway. :)
 
#7
What is wrong with preserving 522 years of tradition - isn't that what The Tower of London is about ? Isn't that what tourists come to see - The Tower as it was in times of Henry VII when his bodyguard protected it.

What a sad country that has to undermine every tradition like yobs spraying graffiti
 
#8
I thought they got their name from the french nick name for British. The Roast Beefs (obviously in French), not because of the daily ration of meat.

Reference the first female, is there anything in writing (ever) that says a woman can't be? The stipulation has long been 22yrs of good conduct and not Royal Navy.
 
#9
Voyager said:
What is wrong with preserving 522 years of tradition - isn't that what The Tower of London is about ? Isn't that what tourists come to see - The Tower as it was in times of Henry VII when his bodyguard protected it.

What a sad country that has to undermine every tradition like yobs spraying graffiti
I didn't know yobs spraying graffiti was a tradition....blimey.

I feel a lot better about it now.... can girls do that aswell?

do they have to wear tights and a stupid hat?
 
#10
In my view this is hardly complex. If an applicant fits the criteria, and passes the interview board, they should be allowed to take up the post. I hear on good authority that the first female chelsea pensioners will shortly take up residence too.
 
#12
PiperWill said:
And what's it on about - only 6 applicants? There's always been lots of competition for a position at the Tower.
That's the short list... after whittling down from the fousands that applied...

Some great characters at the Tower who spin an excellent yarn... just too many bleeding tourists...
 
#13
Wasn't there something in soldier magazine about them recently? I thought the main thing they looked for (apart from the LS and GC issues) was that you were willing to learn the history of the Tower and be a good yarn spinner for the Yanks and Japs.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#14
shortfuse said:
I was about to say she'd look better in tights than some of the bewhiskered lads who currently do the job, but having seen the legs on the majority of female soldiers they may look like 2 boiled hams ...



Lets face it, call it historical if you like, but its about the queggiest outfit in Western Europe.... apart from the Greeks... but they're all confirmed homs anyway. :)
You think the Yeomen of the Guard have queg kit ?

I'll see your Beefeater & raise you some Swiss Guard.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#15
But Shortfuse is correct about the Greeks...

 
#16
Good shout Cuts.....

I was in the Vatican city in the summer.... not as part of my duties as cultural attache and Gods right hand man on earth... just a trip to see some "stuff" and i must admit to (barely) stifling a large guffaw every time one of these cunts minced past

Lets face facts, all the swiss guard would REALLY be good for guarding is toblerones and cuckoo clocks.

I stand by my point about the bubbles though, any cunt (apart from a homicidal killer clown) who thinks pom poms on their shoes is fighting kit is gayer than Julian clareys interior designer.
 
#18
Aren't the Swiss Guard also a bit "undercover". With an actual Bodyguard force for the pope aswell? Not to mention firearms teams that also guard the vatican as well as the "pompoudours"?

I thnk the Swiss Guard made the change after the time the Pope was shot, and they could only stand by with their Halbards.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#19
chocolate_frog said:
Aren't the Swiss Guard also a bit "undercover"...
In THAT uniform ?
What the hell do you wear when playing the grey man - a lurex clown suit and dayglo diving fins ?


The Fenian Guard have had CP trg for many years, even before the late Pope played Fig 11 to a Bulgarian fall-guy.
They do have a selection of modern wpns but where they conceal them one can only guess - as 99% of them are Marmite Miners they probably have 'special places.' 8O
 
#20
I'm with Voyager on this one. A largely ceremonial Post that is built on tradition should not be buggered about with on a political whim. The bloody shops will have Father Christmas with bumps next. It's our heritage and, so we are told, a tourist money earner. I'm sure the septics and nips don't travel thousands of miles to watch good old British pantomime.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top