First Female "Beefeater"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_guru, Jan 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cue fnarr style jokes about lesbianism, but The Scum today is reporting that the first female Yeoman Warder is starting work later in the year. I wonder who she is. One of the Yeomen Warders was my Troop Sgt in training. Makes me feel very old....

2. What happened to the two year waiting list? And what's it on about - only 6 applicants? There's always been lots of competition for a position at the Tower. Oh, the Sun wrote it. It must be true then.

If true it's a shame. Destroying the image and traditions of over 500 years of history.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Why not a woman? They are allowed to serve everywhere else in the forces less inf and cav and certainly can be said to be participating on the front line.

As to bodyguard status. If the status is for real (which it isn't really - Queeny gets her own cop CP anyway), being a female guard to a female queen may be advantageous in some circumstances, would you not say?
    Frankly, if she was good enough to be picked, good on her.

BBC link here
  4. I say fair play to her.
  5. Can't see why she shouldn't do just as good a job as the men. After all most of the job is having your photot taken and being a tour guide - hardly needs to be male only. I don't believe that the recruiting pool has ever been restricted to those that served in the frontline.

Good luck to her.
  6. I was about to say she'd look better in tights than some of the bewhiskered lads who currently do the job, but having seen the legs on the majority of female soldiers they may look like 2 boiled hams ...

Lets face it, call it historical if you like, but its about the queggiest outfit in Western Europe.... apart from the Greeks... but they're all confirmed homs anyway. :)
  7. What is wrong with preserving 522 years of tradition - isn't that what The Tower of London is about ? Isn't that what tourists come to see - The Tower as it was in times of Henry VII when his bodyguard protected it.

What a sad country that has to undermine every tradition like yobs spraying graffiti
  8. I thought they got their name from the french nick name for British. The Roast Beefs (obviously in French), not because of the daily ration of meat.

Reference the first female, is there anything in writing (ever) that says a woman can't be? The stipulation has long been 22yrs of good conduct and not Royal Navy.
  9. I didn't know yobs spraying graffiti was a tradition....blimey.

I feel a lot better about it now.... can girls do that aswell?

do they have to wear tights and a stupid hat?
  10. In my view this is hardly complex. If an applicant fits the criteria, and passes the interview board, they should be allowed to take up the post. I hear on good authority that the first female chelsea pensioners will shortly take up residence too.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't they wear skirts and tights anyway? Good luck to her - if she fulfils the criteria, then why not?
  12. That's the short list... after whittling down from the fousands that applied...

Some great characters at the Tower who spin an excellent yarn... just too many bleeding tourists...
  13. Wasn't there something in soldier magazine about them recently? I thought the main thing they looked for (apart from the LS and GC issues) was that you were willing to learn the history of the Tower and be a good yarn spinner for the Yanks and Japs.
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You think the Yeomen of the Guard have queg kit ?

I'll see your Beefeater & raise you some Swiss Guard.
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

But Shortfuse is correct about the Greeks...